Which 2600 model are you particularly fond of?

MaximumRD

Of the released systems I like the Atari 2600 Vader and the Atari 2600 Jr. My favorite Atari 2600, and possibly my favorite looking video game system of all time, is the Atari 2700 Remote Control Video Computer System  ^_^

Atari 2700 Remote Control Video Computer System  - MAN THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO AWESOME! 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

My order:

1. Vader.  I have one that's composite modded.  Which makes it double favorite.
  2. Gemini.  It's small and has the best RF signal.
  3. Jr.  Small makes it better.
  4. Light sixer.  It's all about the easy to use difficulty switches.  Heavy is overrated. 
  5. 4 port woody - this is the one I had growing up.
  6. Heavy. 

As for Sears models...I love em.  Cool looking silver highlights and fancy "burled" wood grain. 

Edited by RickR

My Flashback is quickly becoming #1 just for the convenience. but I'm gonna go with the Vader as well.  

I love the size and design of the Jr, but the switches are kinda funky. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Would it be cheating if I said the best 2600 is the 7800? Not sure if it counts or not, but I've been using my flashback portable a lot. I'm thinking about bringing it with me on my trip in a few weeks. But if I had to choose just the original release stuff, it would be any non 2600 Jr, the 6er is the best. Also, does the coco expansion count as well? They really gave Atari a run for the money on that one.

This is a tough one. I love the aesthetics of both the Jr. and the Vader but not their native RF output. The Atari branded light sixer and 4-switch woody are about the same to me. I am not very fond of the Heavy. I will agree with MaximumRD that there is something appealing about the Sears variants - both the original and the Sears Video Arcade II. Of course, I grew up with a Gemini so it has a place in my heart.

All that being said, if I had to pick now, I would say that a pristine Sears 4-switch wins it for me. There is something about the white and chrome bezel with the dark wood finish that is at once garish and appealing. If the Jr had better video, it would be top of my list purely from a design perspective.

The 4-switch woody was the one that I always wanted when I was much younger many moons ago. I have one now that I am very thankful for that gets used most often. So that would be my pick.

I agree about the Junior model. While it is an attractive design the switches on it are not of the same quality as the original models. The 2800 (Japan's 2600) is one that I would really like to own because of its design. It looks like a lot of work went into making the console attractive to the Japanese market.

The 2800 (Japan's 2600) is one that I would really like to own because of its design. It looks like a lot of work went into making the console attractive to the Japanese market.

I totally agree about the 2800. It is a very slick console. Even the packaging was amazing. It is no wonder that the 2800 console was used as the basis for the 7800 design. With the exception of the branding, the Sears Video Arcade II is essentially the same console and is much more readily available. If you don't mind it saying "Sears", it's well worth it.

It is funny because I distinctly recall back in the day if you had a SEARS version as opposed to a Atari Labelled model you were an outcast of sorts   :lol: Today I LOVE the SEARS variants of Atari and Intellivision consoles!

My number 1 VCS/2600 will always be the Sears Tele-Games Heavy 6'r, because that was my first console.

It's funny you say that about the Sears models because mine would always get weird looks and I remember feeling like somehow I had less of a console after going to all my friends that had light 6'r or 4 switch models. Their consoles looked sleek and modern where mine looked bulky and in a way like I was given a cheap alternative. Over time I felt different. I thought mine was much better built and solid (and it was). Mine was an American product. Last, mine had a look of class. And after all id did the EXACT same thing as all the others. Mine was just the odd ball of the bunch. Maybe because I am the only one I knew that had the Sears version at the time!!!!  

My first love!!!!! If this is not what you call sexy, I don't what is.

Capture_2017-01-01-11-52-23-1_zpsrel2m53

Edited by Atari Creep

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

What's cooler than being cool?  Ice cold!  Also: the Atari 2800.  :spot:

Of the VCS models I like the look and feel of the Atari Heavy Sixer best.  (If anyone has a spare that they would trade straight-up for a Sears Heavy Sixer, PM me.)

I use my 2600 Jr more than any other for its convenience, but it's only so-so in the looks department in my mind.  I really like the all-black Ireland Jr model, though!

What's cooler than being cool?  Ice cold!  Also: the Atari 2800.  :spot:

Of the VCS models I like the look and feel of the Atari Heavy Sixer best.  (If anyone has a spare that they would trade straight-up for a Sears Heavy Sixer, PM me.)

I use my 2600 Jr more than any other for its convenience, but it's only so-so in the looks department in my mind.  I really like the all-black Ireland Jr model, though!

Oooh, that Ireland Jr is sweet!  Why do such things excite us so?

image.jpg

There are three that I'm particularly fond of:

- my Atari 7800....great console: you have the advancedness (underline that in red all you want, Firefox, but I say it's a real word!) of 7800 games and the extensive library of 2600 games all in one unit. And I'm lucky enough to have a 7800 that so far has had zero compatibility issues -- it works great with the Supercharger and the Activision titles that are, according to common lore, not 7800-compatible.

- the Jr. I love those little things! Very small, easy to store, and with a cable you can remove without having to open the thing.

- Sears Video Arcade heavy sixer. Never owned one but I would love to. I owned a couple of Atari heavy sixers for a short time but I wasn't a fan. Didn't like 'em.

Edited by dauber

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Vader is my favorite because that was the first Atari my family owned, and the first video game console I remember playing.

I really dig my 7800 now though, although the lack of a color/b&w switch is annoying. If I really want to play something that needs it I use the 2600 adapter on the Colecovision :-)

I really dig my 7800 now though, although the lack of a color/b&w switch is annoying. If I really want to play something that needs it I use the 2600 adapter on the Colecovision :-)

The "Pause" button actually maps to "TV TYPE." Thing is...you'll need to have someone hold it in for you. :)

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Count me as another "7800 is the best 2600 model" type.

I also like the design of the Jr.

Of the standard models, I like the Atari wood grain 4 switch the best, just for looks. For some reason, the 6 switch systems look too busy to me, but the 4 switch is just right.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I like them all and still trying to complete my collection of all! Still working on completing the 2600 which I think at this point I just need the heavy sixer and the othe Jr. (I do believe there was two designs of the Jr.) Of course I would like to get my hands on 2800 but think that would be almost a impossible. The 2600 will always be my favorite, it is where my love for video games started!

Yes, beside the BIB, there are the little rainbow and big rainbow models.

I'm not sure, but somewhere out there could be a grey prototype of the 2600jr.

Ahh, here it is:

https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atarimuseum.com%2Fvideogames%2Fconsoles%2F2600%2Fwhite2600.JPG&sp=3d44ca4756e0c3a1b4b772d75f7bf707

or

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/white2600.html

Edited by TeddyGermany