Squad Challenge - Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)

Justin

Great scores you guys. I will have to try again on real hardware. I think my problem with the asteroids is that it starts out really fast, there's no build up time like in the first game. I suspect that if Kaboom had game variations like this, I would be terrible at them as well. But I do enjoy the game, I know there's people who don't that host a certain arcade game podcast. :D

trying to outdo greenween but can't save any zapper beasties ...gonna have to give it another few moar goes !!!

I'm pretty sure my controller doesn't do diagonal movement very well. it seldom does it , I thought the trick was heading for zapper straight-on but that wasn't working this time. so I'm back to thinking it's pure luck again.

I'm still trying to even reach my previous score, much less surpass greeweens still :P very challenging !!! last try made it to zapper screen 4 times and mebbe got one beastie outta there the whole time.

Another time grabbed 2'nd beastie & shuttle wouldn't make it back into mother ship before getting hit by meteor  :wreck-it-ralph: ... good thing the controller was fastened in place :rofl:

attachicon.gifWP_20170117_21_57_45_Pro.jpg

Bleah. I finally made it to the second screen, but only once. Would there be any reason for multiple shots vertically, but not horizontally?

it does seem sideways meteors have a shorter distance to travel to the ship. this is certainly a "twitch game"

What controller are you using Ferg?

I am guessing keyboard for a controller. I still haz to hunt & peck mine. making me a non-PC gamer  :arcade:

I'm using the CX 40. I want to try the Epyx XJ 500, or whatever it is. I kept getting killed by the horizontal guys. Like I said before, I do better at game 1 where the speed increases gradually.

yeah I tried a special refurbished cx-40 I have, bought it from a brick & mortar place and it felt really nice. something you'd have to find locally really.

it has the clicky dome contacts cx-10 board and the reinforced handle, I had just picked up some clear rubber feet replacements because it was the only thing missing from the thing. 

xh7LpQP.jpg

I have tried standing up , sitting down,  shifting sitting positions all kinds of stuff :rofl: 

from your screenshot it looks like your using Stella emulator, hows your cx-40 adapted to the PC ? 

Is it ok to say I hate this game?  So hard, and not really fun.

Dude, I hate the game NORMALLY, let alone the hard version. (I WILL participate, just haven't had the chance to play video games lately...) So I say, YES, it's OK to say you hate this game. :)  In all honesty, this is my least-favorite game on the 2600. I'm dead serious about that, too, with Kangaroo being a close second.

The collision detection just absolutely sucks.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Dude, I hate the game NORMALLY, let alone the hard version. (I WILL participate, just haven't had the chance to play video games lately...) So I say, YES, it's OK to say you hate this game. :)  In all honesty, this is my least-favorite game on the 2600. I'm dead serious about that, too, with Kangaroo being a close second.

I think it's a nice looking game.  And it's cool that it has 2 distinct screens.  So there is some positive here.  Mama always says to find something positive to say.  :)

SWORDQUEST FIREWORLD

I played this game a lot as a kid, so maybe the nostalgia helps me enjoy it more. To each their own I guess. I never liked Food Fight for the 7800 but everyone else seems to love it. :) I should ad that I NEVER played this difficulty level growing up or my feelings might not be the same!!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

I've gotten about 600 points better on average, which is still less than 2000. I switched to real hardware, which is the way to go for me for this game. No idea if the 2600-daptor has lag, and maybe it's only noticeable in games like this. I did manage to rescue one squiggle on the 2nd screen ONCE, but that was all. I was using the 500 XJ, which doesn't do diagonal well, which I need to try out in those screens.

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted here - I've missed a couple of good games  :(

I got 5,533 after several attempts.  Man, game 4 is HARD.  I made it past the lasers only once, and could not make it back after.  My strategy is to wait until the guns reach their highest point, then leave the saucer just as they start moving down.  Then I try to go left or right only (don't move any further down) and try to snag a beastie in the tractor beam ASAP.  It takes awhile to get it from that height, but if I work quick I can manage to get one and return to the saucer before the guns rise back up to the top.  I can only get one beastie per wave doing this, though.  

post-923-0-51104500-1485301600_thumb.jpg