Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Viva Amiga finally....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 157 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Just finished watching this...The Viva Amiga movie....worth waiting five years FOR? .....In all honesty .....YES....I've loved the style and editing acumen Zachary Weddington has excused within the film's presentation and insight. The flow works very well and although some of it content has being covered since, this doesn't matter, it's about the Amiga and this film truly champions this throughout the entire film. I will admit I was in the same boat as the majority of the backers with the dismay of how things were handled and excuted as well as the lack of correspondence to backers or wasn't enough for vast periods of time. But the fact that the film is actually out now is testimony to the film maker keeping his promise even if we are the back end of queue which I find extremely bizarre and a little disrepecting of those that made it happen.

The only qem for me within the film was no coverage of what is a huge clunk of the Amiga community the "Demo Scene" a real missed opportunity here or enough insight with Pacific software that made the Amiga mind blowing. .Newtek was great, but should have had more company profiles included, it's no biggie though, you won't really notice the time flying by..and last but not least the Duration of the film...1hr? Really? How did this happen? Generally any documentaries I've ever seen are normally 1hr 30 mins or greater? It was all over way to soon for me...so soon...made me sad..😢..hopefully the extras due will help ease the pain but this really suprised me?

If you love the old school stuff and computers regardless what you owned this is well worth getting , it's another archived slice of computer history everyone should see and own..if not only to see my name in the credits at the end..😁 I was responsible for the kickstarter graphics and artwork in case you were wondering.

Anyone else support this five years ago? If you've recently purchased the film , what did you THINK? Comparing this to From Bedroom to Billionaires:Amiga Years 6.5hrs of content?

Edited by Greyfox, 07 January 2017 - 08:41 AM.

• MaximumRD, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#2 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 846 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

I have not seen this, I was not in a position to back it so I am not entitled. I always find in general they just do not compare to the memories, history, experienced living through the entire AMIGA era, though I could never afford much I was a fanatic about reading and researching ever bit of info about Commodore, the AMIGA hardware and the entire process, the hopes, the dreams, the failures, the shattered dreams etc, I have yet to learn anything "new" from these types of films but that said always good to see a film focused on AMIGA as I was always annoyed at either the revisions version or complete lack of inclusion AMIGA had in 98% of any type of computing history articles or film. Hope to see it someday.

• Greyfox and Lost Dragon like this

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you! 

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#3 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Pretzel Member

• 492 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

I've been looking forward to this one for a while and thought it was actually going to be released last year but it didn't happen. It's still new with being only a couple of days available but haven't had the time to check it out yet. Hopefully sometime within the next few weeks. It'll be especially interesting since I was more the Atari-guy than an Amiga guy, ever.

I owned an A4000 Video Toaster once and dabbled with it for a brief period of time, far after the time period it was intended to be used in, but was impressed by the speed of the machine. Never did end up taking to Workbench very warmly but I guess that's because I was so used to the simplicity of TOS. Kind of surprised to hear it's only an hour long as well, being that it's been in development for so long. Surely there was or is enough material to make it 90-minutes as you've suggested Greyfox. Either way, it'll be something nice to finally watch.

Seems like it would make a good companion to watching From Bedrooms to Billions, which I've also yet to see.

• MaximumRD, Greyfox and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

A very interesting topic and some fantastic posts already here.

Whilst i cannot comment on the film-Never seen it, backed it, hell had no idea of it's existance till Greyfox created the thread here, the wider topic of what do people want/expect from any...media 'device' as it were covering established formats like the Amiga, when so, so much has been covered already, did get me reading onwards.

Any approach simply has to cater for those who've only dabbled with a format, so of course there's going to be familar ground and everyone is going to want to put their take on the subject material, what the Amiga (in this case) meant to them, why it should be celebrated etc.

But yes, 5 years is a lot of time and it simply builds expectations with each year that passes after the inital annoucement.

For myself when i purchase any docu. on something like Atari, Commodore or a software house..say Ocean, US Gold, Gremlin Graphics etc or even a magazine with an article on, i will come away very dissapointed if theres little or no fresh information.No new sources tracked down, no myths busted, questions answered etc as it feels like money for old rope and if the percentage of fresh information is less than 45%, i do feel somewhat cheated.

I was always far more of an Atari guy during the 16 bit era, though later picked up an Amiga and appreciated it for the superior hardware it was, games that never made it to the ST, but by reading Greyfoxes comments, i cannot see this film offering anything i'd want to sit through, as i fear i'd come away thinking..ok, so i knew all that, common knowledge, where's the meat on the bone?.

Sorry to sound cynical, but as i said elsewhere on here, i simply feel we are seeing a 'glut' of articles, books, films etc all covering same subjects from similar angles at present.

• Greyfox likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users