Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Mortal Kombat III running at E3 claim-I cannot find a shred of proof....

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 604 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

No chance of you still having a Jaguar Dev kit Marigul?
  • Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Marigul :)

Your recollection is tying in with that of others from Atari US have told me via email exchanges and what's been found, records wise, money was paid and there was a deal on paper, so inital test coding could well of started, but the project as it were, never reached as far as the 89% Ult.Future Games mag claimed, nor was it playable at E3.

We've heard from other Jaguar developers that test coding was done on things like Creature Shock Jaguar CD, just to see how well the system handled the data transfer rates etc, FMV also easy enough to convert to a format Jaguar CD could run (case in point Demolition Man from 3DO)...

Early test 3D coding done to see how well Jaguar coped with the demmands-Magic Carpet conversion by Mike Diskett, Gunship 2000, Battlewheels having early 3D modelling done etc etc...

People in the development community were at least making attempts on numerous annouced Jaguar games to see how the Jaguar handled the requirements, but sadly it was clear from a commercial point of view, there simply wasn't a Jaguar market that was viable to continue development, so plug was pulled.

It's been a pet annoyance of mine to see people plastering footage from 3DO/PS1/Saturn/PC CD versions of games up on YT, suggesting Jaguar/Jag CD versions would look something like this, when the very people working on things like Return Fire, Magic arpet said not a chance, you'd loose the texture-mapping or game would simply look far rougher.

We saw examples of things like the Acclaim deal, here in UK in the ST/Amiga days, when likes of US Gold etc wanted the big name Coin-Op rights, they also had to take conversions of the more obscure coin-ops, so you'd suddenly see a game appear at review and reviewer would point out it was a conversion of a very obscure coin op, that they themselves had never played, so they couldn't say how close the conversion was.

Then things went the other way, with UK developers doing 'sequels' based on the Arcade Games they'd bought home rights to:

Human Killing Machine was supposed to be a  sequel to Street Fighter, we also had Target:Renegade, Renegade III, Green Beret II:The Vindicator and Strider 2...

#23 marigul

marigul

Cherry Member

• 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

No chance of you still having a Jaguar Dev kit Marigul?

No dev kit and I don't even have a Jag. I never thought they would skyrocket in price :( Just a few games. I may pick one up in the future though...

#24 marigul

marigul

Cherry Member

• 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

89% done  ? LOL not even close...you can look at the payments and see it wouldn't be anywhere near that even for a 68K port of the genesis code.

• atarilbc, Lost Dragon and AtariHero like this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

yep, 89% claim for Mortal Kombat 3 and 30 % for Quake...

This was UK Jaguar coverage at the time.

But then, it seems to be a case of I want to believe...syndrome.

I still cannot quite believe no one at the time questioned the claim from a poster that he played it.

Only responses seemed to be along lines of hoping it would turn up 1 day, rather than asking why the Press at the time, let alone Atari weren't shouting it from the rooftops.

It was the same with Tomb Raider etc, because it had appeared in a magazine, must be legit and people were using it supposed definite guides to lost games, even gave each game a colour coded status, yet nothing about where the source for these claims came from.

#26 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Something of interest caught my eye whilst reading the fab. Bitmap Brothers Universe book....

Towards the end, 1 coder talked of arriving at the Bitmap Bros after working for Probe Software and how many teams would often be busy coding away on what they believed were going to be actual commercial games-The reality was they were intended as nothing more than E3 demo's or pitches Probe were planning to show publishers.

So even if Probe were doing Jaguar MK III in any form, i wonder IF Atari simply planned to pull something similar to Lynx Cabal etc..have "something" running to convince industry/press Jaguar was still a player and thus buy time for Jaguar II to be finished etc.

Pure speculation on my part of course, but does go to show not everything teams worked on was ever intended for retail and those doing the actual coding etc were often kept in the dark....

• RickR likes this

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Scott Stilphen has very kindly forwarded me a huge whack of Internal documentation from Atari regarding status of so many Lost Jaguar games, honestly cannot thank him enough.

MK 2 often pops up as Pending Acclaim deal.

There's payments shown for MK III, deal signed with Williams, talk of next stage being talks with Probe etc.

Then Probe reciving MK III Source Code, Graphics, Sound to follow..doesn't state exact nature of Source code though..PS1/PC/Coin-Op?

Contract renewed (Dated May 19, 1995)

Probe (Fergus McGovern..RIP) supposed to be finding right coder..then chap behind MK 1 on PC put forwarded.

But nothing to suggest it ever reached playable stage or was to be shown at any trade show.

#28 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

Huge thanks to Scott Stilphen....for the attached file.

More to follow if i find them.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-839-0-78051800-1499259335.jpg

#29 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Another from Scott's Files...

Attached Thumbnails

• TmpFile_29.JPG

• atarilbc likes this

#30 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Last lot.

Bit more realiable than slapping up press clippings from UFG/C+VG or claiming it was playable at....

But this is as far as i look into it.

Thanks yet again to Scott for sharing the files.

Attached Thumbnails

• TmpFile_29.JPG
  • TmpFile_32.JPG
  • TmpFile_33.JPG

• Jin likes this

#31 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 513 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Interesting that Tiny Toons is listed "completed." Perhaps there is more complete version of the game yet to be discovered?
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#32 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:50 AM

The Docs have answered an awful lot of questions, but at the same time created a whole lot more ;-)

Tiny Toons and Demolition Man status very different to what was previously believed.

Will we ever find definite answers? I'm not sure as for every new source found, numerous others don't remember or seem to want to discuss abandoned Jaguar projects.

Key thing is that what is found is shared rather than confined to memembers only FB groups.
  • atarilbc likes this

#33 Jin

Jin

• 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

Thank you very much for sharing all of your research and documentation Lost Dragon! Of all the unfinished Jaguar games, Mortal Kombat III is by far the one I would wish for the most; so it was really interesting to read everything you've found on the subject.

• atarilbc and Clint Thompson like this

#34 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 513 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Interesting that T-Mek was planned. I wonder if it would have been much different than the 32x version. That version was fun enough but really stripped down.

Edited by atarilbc, 27 October 2017 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users