How Atari box art turned 8-bit games into virtual wonderlands

An older article on a site I don't really like, nothing we do not already know / love BUT STILL for those that missed it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4716444/how-atari-box-art-turned-8-bit-games-into-virtual-wonderlands

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

That is the "ANYTHING GOES" of Atari!

It was the promise of a better future. There was a glimpse of a better future, an utopic version of all that could be.

Call me crazy, but that was my Atari. I grew up with Captain Future and the possibility to explore the universe and an utopic perspective. This may be childish, but i remember this from time to time and i feel good.

Edited by TeddyGermany

That is the "ANYTHING GOES" of Atari!

It was the promise of a better future. There was a glimpse of a better future, an utopic version of all that could be.

Call me crazy, but that was my Atari. I grew up with Captain Future and the possibility to explore the universe and an utopic perspective. This may be childish, but i remember this from time to time and i feel good.

Childish? No Sir it's wonderful.  :thumb:

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I can't help but say that once I got the 5200, and watched TRON, I would imagine some intelligent beings inside my 5200 reacting to my playing skills. But my imagination really took off with the whole package deal that Atari was putting inside each new game that arrived.  I didn't get the 2600 but I absolute love the artwork on those carts but I also love the artwork on the 5200 cartridges as well as those were what I had in my childhood.  And I think the child imagination in me really took to the idea that Star Raiders conjured up and probably why that Star Raiders as remained my all-time favorite game.  I was a pilot in control of this space ship and I was to protect my starbases and take out enemy fighters.  What kid didn't dream of doing something close to that?