Atari Portable Question. ***HELP***

Atari Creep

So my lady being the awesome person she is got me an Atari Flashback Portable on Amazon!!! The box was sealed but after opening it I noticed clear signs of it being a used item, scuffs on the back, slight scratching on screen from slifing on another surface...... (I do not know yet if where she got it from stated used or not yet)

It seems to work fine aside from 2 things regarding sound and I would like to know if they are normal or not.

1. The unit has a hum when on. It did not interfere with any of the game sounds and I am ok with that.

2. When I activate a game from the menu there is a crackle sound much like you would get from a dirty pot on an old radio or guitar equipment.

Are these noises normal for this kind of thing? Signs of other issues yet to show up?

I am ok with them, they do not hinder anything as far as playing the games but if the seller did in fact state it was a NEW item and swapped out for a used one I would like to pursue making a claim and keep people honest. Unless I do find out later today that it was sold stating it was in fact used or these sounds are normal!!!   

Thanks a ton in advance for your input guys!!!! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Mine does crackle.  Most notably when the unit is turned on.  More like a quick "pop" and again when you pick a game. 

The sounds are a little off -- the tone seems low.  In general.

I had no idea about the screen film.  Indeed, mine had it, so I peeled it off.  Looks much better now.

I still love this thing. 

Mine does crackle.  Most notably when the unit is turned on.  More like a quick "pop" and again when you pick a game. 

I had no idea about the screen film.  Indeed, mine had it, so I peeled it off.  Looks much better now.

I still love this thing. 

I didn't see it either. Mainly because there was no pull tab to remove it. Hahah 

Over all its nice, I like it. The hum is not as noticeable but that crackling sound when I enter or exit a game bothers me.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

So my lady being the awesome person she is got me an Atari Flashback Portable on Amazon!!! The box was sealed but after opening it I noticed clear signs of it being a used item, scuffs on the back, slight scratching on screen from slifing on another surface...... (I do not know yet if where she got it from stated used or not yet)

It seems to work fine aside from 2 things regarding sound and I would like to know if they are normal or not.

1. The unit has a hum when on. It did not interfere with any of the game sounds and I am ok with that.

2. When I activate a game from the menu there is a crackle sound much like you would get from a dirty pot on an old radio or guitar equipment.

Are these noises normal for this kind of thing? Signs of other issues yet to show up?

I am ok with them, they do not hinder anything as far as playing the games but if the seller did in fact state it was a NEW item and swapped out for a used one I would like to pursue making a claim and keep people honest. Unless I do find out later today that it was sold stating it was in fact used or these sounds are normal!!!   

My screen was perfect (still is). I kept my protective film on (at least I think its still on) and I know I bought a brand new unit since I bought it at BB&B personally.

Mine has a minor hum while in the SD card mode. But no crackle. I rarely play any of the games with the sound up or even on at all anyway.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Just so you are aware there is a major Compatibility and testing thread on AA that should prove useful to any owner of this handheld, lot's of testing going on, swapping out or repair of ROMS that do not work and having complete archived zips ready to unpack onto the root of your SDcard all solid and proven working for your device. ;) Check it out.

Atari Flashback Portable Compatibility List

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/page-1?hl=+flashback%20+portable

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I still love this thing. 

I do get the little pop when a game initializes, but thats normal for most anything with multiple games.

I dig mine a lot too, if it played Dragonstomper it would be perfect.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Just so you are aware there is a major Compatibility and testing thread on AA that should prove useful to any owner of this handheld, lot's of testing going on, swapping out or repair of ROMS that do not work and having complete archived zips ready to unpack onto the root of your SDcard all solid and proven working for your device. ;) Check it out.

Atari Flashback Portable Compatibility List

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/page-1?hl=+flashback%20+portable

Thanks for the feedback. This helps a great deal.

Not only that list MaxRD posted above, there's also the ROMs that have been hacked to work (and some that already worked - made better) on the AFP. Most of them are posted/linked on that Compatibility List. Or you can watch this thread as Nukey Shay is hacking them on a daily basis- http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-7

Enjoy!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

The Defender arcade hack is great!!!

in case the others missed it...... there's work being done to fix some of the games that do not work on the Portable, so that they can be played or even made better for the AFP! Here's where we are at right now:

Crash Course (hb) removed title screen

<bankswitch conversions> bankswitch conversion of several games

RealSports Tennis background colors edited

Juno First (hb) ROM modified

Star Raiders hacked original ROM for AFP use - No Keypad

Kool Aid Man hacked in 2002 - this works on the AFP

Tapper fixed the screen cutoff at bottom

Budweiser Tapper (hack) fixed the screen cutoff at bottom

Acid Drop (hb) fixed loading issues - but still cutoff at bottom

Beat'em and Eat'em <partly fixed> loads but no control

Custer's Revenge fixed loading issues

Enduro raised the screen to see number of cars & days

Jawbreaker fixed loading issues

Lochjaw fixed loading issues

Marauder fixed loading issues

Shark Attack fixed loading issues

Squeezebox fixed loading issues

Words Attack fixed loading issues

Scrollout (hb) Flashback Portable Support added

Fix it Felix Sr. (hb) fixed loading issues

Defender II changed "game select" S button for smart bombs

Defender II The difficulty switches now work for inviso & hyperspace.

Raiders of the Lost Ark select and reset to move the marker & the color switch to drop

Bloody Human Freeway (proto) fixed the collision problems

Circus Atari {built in game} D-pad not as good as paddles - use Zellers "Circus"

Freeway fixed the collision problems

Double Dragon Arcade updated sprites and made it compatible w/ AFP

Raiders of the Lost Ark Difficulty switch removed.  The spider gfx fixed.

Bloody Human Freeway (proto) Glitch removed from the corner.  Free space used to tally the number of times run over (max99).

Freeway (2 Players) added a Player 2 feature for the AFP

Backgammon/Nackgammon hacked to use the D-pad and buttons for Player 1 & 2

Defender Arcade (hb) hacked to work on the AFP

Asteroids changed color/bw button to Hyperspace for 1 or 2 players

Defneder Arcade (hb) changed "game select" S button for smart bombs

To find the ROMs for these games, go to my homebrew list: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN then click the AFP tab at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet. All titles are linked to the downloads.

Edited by Arenafoot

Wizard of Wor needs to be hacked. It must be started as player two, so this should be changed.

I noticed this one the other day.  I couldn't control my dude.   

It's a great port for the Atari.

Wizard of Wor still works - with the two player option. As the original required player 1 to use the right joystick, and the D-pad and buttons are for the left side joystick/fire button, it can still be played on the AFP. Just choose the two player game and control the blue player on the left side.

BTW - the Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena (homebrew) works too on the AFP - just a couple of distracting lines appear on the screen during gameplay.

Here's a list of game titles requested by gamers to be fixed/hacked to work on the AFP - hopefully some (or all) will be worked on, in the near future: 

Donkey Kong VCS

Defender 2 - Is there a way the smart bomb button from controller 2 be changed to a difficulty switch so it can work?

Frantic

Galaxian - This is full of glitches.

Rally X - Maybe an earlier version can be hacked?

Scramble

Space Rocks 

Stay Frosty 1 / Stay Frosty 2

Spy Hunter

Star Raiders

(any/all Starpath Supercharger games)

Berzerk - invisible wall removed to play

Squish'em

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Merlin's Walls

Cosmic Ark

Pitfall II

Adventures of Tron - title screen messed up

Halo 2600 - fully playable

Zippy The Porcupine - full game does not run

xxxx = (done) hacked to work on the AFP

xxxx = DPC+ games will not work on AFP

in case the others missed it...... there's work being done to fix some of the games that do not work on the Portable, so that they can be played or even made better for the AFP! Here's where we are at right now:

Crash Course (hb) removed title screen

<bankswitch conversions> bankswitch conversion of several games

RealSports Tennis background colors edited

Juno First (hb) ROM modified

Star Raiders hacked original ROM for AFP use - No Keypad

Kool Aid Man hacked in 2002 - this works on the AFP

Tapper fixed the screen cutoff at bottom

Budweiser Tapper (hack) fixed the screen cutoff at bottom

Acid Drop (hb) fixed loading issues - but still cutoff at bottom

Beat'em and Eat'em <partly fixed> loads but no control

Custer's Revenge fixed loading issues

Enduro raised the screen to see number of cars & days

Jawbreaker fixed loading issues

Lochjaw fixed loading issues

Marauder fixed loading issues

Shark Attack fixed loading issues

Squeezebox fixed loading issues

Words Attack fixed loading issues

Scrollout (hb) Flashback Portable Support added

Fix it Felix Sr. (hb) fixed loading issues

Defender II changed "game select" S button for smart bombs

Defender II The difficulty switches now work for inviso & hyperspace.

Raiders of the Lost Ark select and reset to move the marker & the color switch to drop

Bloody Human Freeway (proto) fixed the collision problems

Circus Atari {built in game} D-pad not as good as paddles - use Zellers "Circus"

Freeway fixed the collision problems

Double Dragon Arcade updated sprites and made it compatible w/ AFP

Raiders of the Lost Ark Difficulty switch removed.  The spider gfx fixed.

Bloody Human Freeway (proto) Glitch removed from the corner.  Free space used to tally the number of times run over (max99).

Freeway (2 Players) added a Player 2 feature for the AFP

Backgammon/Nackgammon hacked to use the D-pad and buttons for Player 1 & 2

Defender Arcade (hb) hacked to work on the AFP

Asteroids changed color/bw button to Hyperspace for 1 or 2 players

Defneder Arcade (hb) changed "game select" S button for smart bombs

To find the ROMs for these games, go to my homebrew list: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN then click the AFP tab at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet. All titles are linked to the downloads.

since Jan 9th - these titles have been changed/hacked to work (or work better) on the AFP:

1/11/2017 Defender II The difficulty switches now work for inviso & hyperspace.   
1/13/2017 Raiders of the Lost Ark select and reset to move the marker & the color switch to drop   
1/13/2017 Bloody Human Freeway (proto) fixed the collision problems   
1/13/2017 Circus Atari {built in game} D-pad not as good as paddles - use Zellers "Circus"   
1/13/2017 Freeway fixed the collision problems   
1/14/2017 Double Dragon Arcade (hack) updated sprites and made it compatible w/ AFP   
1/14/2017 Raiders of the Lost Ark Difficulty switch removed.  The spider gfx fixed.   
1/14/2017 Bloody Human Freeway (proto) Glitch removed from the corner.  Free space used to tally the number of times run over (max99).   
1/14/2017 Freeway (2 Players) added a Player 2 feature for the AFP   
1/14/2017 Backgammon/Nackgammon hacked to use the D-pad and buttons for Player 1 & 2   
1/16/2017 Defender Arcade (hb) hacked to work on the AFP   
1/17/2017 Asteroids changed color/bw button to Hyperspace for 1 or 2 players   
1/17/2017 Defender Arcade (hb) changed "game select" S button for smart bombs   
1/19/2017 Popeye Arcade (graphic hack) some graphic edits to Popeye (bankswitch version)   
1/20/2017 Spy Hunter remapped second fire button to color/bw button   
1/21/2017 Star Trek Impulse Engines (forward) also work by pressing Color/BW button, Photons (back) can also be fired using Select.  No solution for warp drive yet, so it is still    
1/21/2017 Beamrider remapped color/bw button for torpedoes   
1/21/2017 Popeye Arcade (graphic hack) more graphic changes on levels 2 & 3   
1/22/2017 Beat'em and Eat'em Directional controller hack   
1/22/2017 Popeye Arcade (graphic hack) more graphic changes   
1/23/2017 Spy Hunter background color hack - and uses remapped button   
1/23/2017 Berzerk (2 player hack) changed title screen to "Berzerk Flashback" & 1 Player

same as before: To find the ROMs for these games, go to my homebrew list: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN then click the AFP tab at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet. All titles are linked to the downloads.
Edited by Arenafoot

add 3 more to the fixed ROMs list for the AFP:

Donkey Kong VCS

Spy Hunter

Berzerk - invisible wall removed to play