Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

5200 Top Games Question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 825 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

I remember playing Super Pac-Man in a 5200 emulation years ago and I couldn't get over just how much it looked and sounded just like the arcade.  Better than the other Pac-Man games that came before it. I'd really love to play this on actually hardware.

#22 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 825 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

Well...I just got a message from Lance at V61 saying he wanted to answer this one but couldn't get the website to load on his computer.  So I was asked to say what his favorite 5200 games were.

Super Breakout and Popeye.  He could not pick 10 as I know from communicating with him that the 5200 was not one of his favorite Atari consoles.  After the stories he's shared with me about the system I can understand why from his point of view.  Missile Command, I was told, gives Lance nightmares because it was the game he was told to use to repair the controllers.  I leave the rest for him to tell should he decide to but, yea, after what I was told it is understandable.

So...with that...I will probably need to find Popeye for the 5200.  I use to have it once when I was a kid (haha...I'm still a kid) but I don't have it now.  I wonder how hard Robotron 2084 for the 5200 is to find?  Outside of eBay that is.  Bare with me...the videos on the 5200 are coming soon.  I just want to make sure I have all my perspectives on the 5200 in order and truthful.  It's easy for me to blab about this console because it was my first console and I spent a LOT of time harnessing the real power the system is capable of from a player's point of view when I was a kid.  

Thanks for all of your help.

#23 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 825 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:58 AM

I just noticed something...no one has mentioned Pole Position or Moon Patrol, or any of the more common arcade ports.  Interesting.  And I have not given my 10 favorite 5200 games either so here we go.

1. Star Raiders
  2. Pole Position
  3. Moon Patrol
  4. Joust
  5. Space Dungeon
  6. Qix
  7. Ber-erk (that key stopped working on my laptop keyboard...grr!)
  8. Frogger
  9. Tempest
  10. Ms. Pac-Man

This is the system I would really like to collect for the most.  I love the 2600 and everything I have received, and will continue to get, for that iconic console but the 5200 was my childhood.  Waking up to play a game before catching the bus for school in the mornings, coming home to catch a game before dinner, waking up to get a game in before Smurfs came on and then more gaming after the show went off...and the time Mom and I would spend on it are the reasons why the 5200 still holds a special place in my heart and memories.  I hope I can get that across in the videos I am planning.

If I had any honorable mentions they would have to be:

Popeye

Star Wars Arcade

Centipede

Defender

Countermeasure

• RickR likes this

#24 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

I have really enjoyed Pole Position for the 5200; it works well with the analog stick.

Some others that haven't been mentioned that I've really enjoyed so far:

Gyruss

Jungle Hunt

Star Trek: SOS

#25 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

I don't know if I mentioned it already or not...but if you ever get a chance to grab a digital third-party stick for the 5200 -- do it.  Most games come to life with a better stick.  Especially the arcade games like Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Dig Dug, etc.   OH, and also Berzerk, which is the best game for the system IMO. 

Edited by RickR, 24 April 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#26 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

I don't know if I mentioned it already or not...but if you ever get a chance to grab a digital third-party stick for the 5200 -- do it.  Most games come to life with a better stick.  Especially the arcade games like Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Dig Dug, etc.   OH, and also Berzerk, which is the best game for the system IMO. 

I'll keep my eyes open for one, but when I have seen them they are usually big bucks. I wonder how difficult it would be to build a 2600 joystick adapter?

#27 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

I'll keep my eyes open for one, but when I have seen them they are usually big bucks. I wonder how difficult it would be to build a 2600 joystick adapter?

I'm not sure how hard it would be.  For sure you'll need to make a "Y" cable so that the original stick is still hooked up (for the start button and keypad).  I may have to open my digital stick up to see what circuitry is needed (if at all).  But we should definitely explore this idea.  If we could do it, many 5200 owners would be interested in buying such a thing.  

#28 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I found this while Googling; looks like they're not being made anymore, but the schematic is available for use by anyone?

http://www.grandidea...roller-adapter/

Willie (Arcade USA) did a video on an adapter he picked up from someone on eBay a couple of years ago, but I don't see them available on eBay anymore.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dU6h6jWcMFw

#29 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I found this while Googling; looks like they're not being made anymore, but the schematic is available for use by anyone?

http://www.grandidea...roller-adapter/

Willie (Arcade USA) did a video on an adapter he picked up from someone on eBay a couple of years ago, but I don't see them available on eBay anymore.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dU6h6jWcMFw

Great info.

This doesn't look hard.  It does look to be somewhat costly in materials and time.  I'm going to give some thought to giving this a try.  And if I try, it won't be for just one....

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#30 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 825 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to make one of those with 4 2600 controller ports?  The reason why I ask is one port could be used for the 2600 joystick and the other for the 2600 keypad.  Just a thought.

Believe it or not, trying to score a top 10 best 5200 games of all-time has not been easy.  The way I am scoring each game from this post alone caused a LOT of game titles to be tied.  Even the polls I created generated ties between games.  Games that did make it to the polls got voted out so I'm still working on it and have not given up.  I just want to make sure what I post is based on what games have been mentioned here and is as honest and true as I can get.  

#31 CrossBow

CrossBow

Cherry Member

• 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Everything I would have picked is already been mentioned. But yeah I sought out the 5200 for two games alone! Interesting, both games were available on the atari 8-bit computers, but still I wanted the 5200 for these two games:

Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus

I would also argue that while the controls aren't the best, that Pitfall II is a must have for the extra second map alone

And I have to agree with the user Ballblazer in that Blaster on the 5200 SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED!! I always play a round of Blaster on my 5200. (I too have a cart that Al from AA made for me sometime back).

Though impossible to get for any kind of reasonable price, but Bounty Bob is excellent as well.

• Ballblaɀer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users