Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Ashens reviews the Lynx (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Just looking at comments left for this...

Here we go...

"Ashens reviewing a shite piece of game handheld" 79 likes...

I loathe comments that add nothing constructive like this and at the exact opposite end of the scale, make utterly false claims, just because it's an Atari Product, ie Lynx Stun runner recieved no poor reviews, ohh please..ACE for starters.

Video, ok, bit sweary for sake of being sweary? F-ing massive, you stupid bas*ards?.

I do love the fact he's not afraid to mention Lynx low resolution, fact games like Viking Child etc had no save game, thus rendering them impractical for real handheld play, espically when batt.life is low on the Lynx.

Can't say this video has made me a subscriber to his channel, but thanks for sharing.

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#3 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 465 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

Ashens has to be my fav on YouTube. I known he has over a million subs but its still weird and a bit conferring when someone else makes note of him. 

• Rowsdower70 likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#4 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Just looking at comments left for this...

Here we go...

"Ashens reviewing a shite piece of game handheld" 79 likes...

I loathe comments that add nothing constructive like this and at the exact opposite end of the scale, make utterly false claims, just because it's an Atari Product, ie Lynx Stun runner recieved no poor reviews, ohh please..ACE for starters.

Video, ok, bit sweary for sake of being sweary? F-ing massive, you stupid bas*ards?.

I do love the fact he's not afraid to mention Lynx low resolution, fact games like Viking Child etc had no save game, thus rendering them impractical for real handheld play, espically when batt.life is low on the Lynx.

Can't say this video has made me a subscriber to his channel, but thanks for sharing.

The sweary part is pretty much YouTube.    Ashens is probably best known for reviewing tat from Poundland, and also tons of cheapie knock off clone games.    He's comedy, not a proper reviewer, but he does know his stuff.   Especially if he's talking about the ZX Spectrum.

• Atari Creep and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

He's a newie to myself, but then i've never ventured far from those i know on here etc :).

Humour in YT vids i do like, i'd much rather see an injection of that, than the anal drone of some of the stuff i've watched recently, where host makes out he/she were only doing the video as they'd had sooo many requests :) (online ego much?) or just want to be worshipped as the font of all knowledge et, focus is more on the host as a cough personality (come on, this is YT) rather than material under the spotlight..

Nothing gets me looking elsewhere, sharpish if material is handled in a joyless manner.

But you can do it with out resorting to ohh look, swearing angle, there's countless amounts of that as is, so it does nothing i find to help a host stand out.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

RE:  Youtube comments.  Those are pretty much horrible on any video you choose.  You could find an innocuous Sesame Street clip and someone will have posted the most vile, offensive comment simply for the shock value. 

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

It's why i've choosen to really view YT vids when they are posted up on here, rather direct at source.

In past few days (for all the good it will do) i've posted a few Reality Check comments, polite, name sources etc, in a few Jaguar/Lynx YT vids from various hosts to counter the stuff that's either way OTT in favour of the systems and tries to pass speculation off as fact or hide the weaker review scores or those that are happy to write the systems off before they try and understand the hardware itself.

I know it won't make a jolt of difference, but i'm not the type of person who can just tut without attempting to give readers the choice of what to believe.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Part 2 for those interested. 

• Lost Dragon and TrekMD like this

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:13 AM

I found part 2 unintentionally funny in places.

Thought he was spot on with Kung Food and Dirty Larry..the latter i put a lot of time into, back in the day, but just find utterly tiresome now.

And never been a fan of Gordo 106, how on earth developers thought this would make for an ideal conversion to SNES (thankfully SNES version simply plodded along development wise before being canned..), i could never understand.

He seemed bewildered as to why Atari would bundle Batman Returns with the Lynx..erm, because it was a big name film tie in, CBM had done similar before with the A500 Batman Pack...

Sega had the Master system Plus bundle £99.99 and Mega Drive Bundle £189.99 with copy of Moonwalker on VHS video and the game on the specific system, running alongside the Altered Beast bundles, here in the UK.

Atari lacked big name games so had to go with something that would connect to the mainstream.

Warbirds is an not really a WW1 dogfighting simulator, more arcades with realism aspects..

And as for the 3 million Lynx units sold, that bloody RetroGamer article has sooo much to answer for.

Darryl Still going along with a suggested figure now gets bandied about as fact, just because it appeared in the magazine.

Concrete figures from reliable sources please YT people..

Edited by Lost Dragon, 21 February 2017 - 06:56 AM.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Utter waste of time i know :), but i have, via the comments section pointed out the 3 Million Lynx Units sold figure is simply an estimate, based on a suggestion given to Darryl Still via RVG interview and then printed as fact in RG and why you'd need to see Atari financial reports for the Lynx lifespan and for each region, to get a true figure.

Felt it had to go in, as Stuart's..ahem...advisor, doesn't tend to let facts and true research get in the way of speculation and fantasy, when it comes to Atari.

#11 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

Which RG-issue contains that Interview with Darryl Still?

Edited by TeddyGermany, 22 February 2017 - 05:05 AM.

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

http://www.retrovide...d=91&Itemid=160

There's the interview WE did as a COMMUNITY on RVG, Q's put about sales figures for Lynx, 7800 etc.

I interviewed him regarding the ST etc for ST gamer Vol 1

He's been quoted in RG in various issues.

Issue 129 is where the suggested figure is presented as fact.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 22 February 2017 - 05:11 PM.

• TeddyGermany likes this

#13 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

@ Lost Dragon

Thanks for the answer! ✌
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

Your welcome.

As far as i'm aware, the only official sales data from Atari came from:  Atari Corp. 500,000 units sold in USA in 1990. 

And from there the RG 'writer' (now ex-RG) took magazine claims from various UK, USA, European magazines for later years/regions, added that to the 500,000 and suggested it to Darryl Still, who only handled the UK/European side of Lynx, Darryl went along with the suggestion.

Yet the 3 Million is now being passed off as fact.

Interviewing hardware designer  RJ Mical as 'writer' did is utterly meaningless for sales figures.

Once design sold to Atari you can only go on sales units from within Atari and or from retailers, it's long since passed through the designers hands. 

• TeddyGermany likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users