Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari GameBand

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TrekMD

TrekMD

Strawberry Member

• 91 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Has anyone been following this?

Atari%20Gameband_zpsbebf0m07.jpg

Mark your Calendars: February 8th
(6am PST, 9am EST, 3pm CET)
CLASSIC GAMES, NEW FORMAT!

Created for people who love to game, in terms of tech, design and content; Gameband Atari Edition is a powerful smartwatch, like no other.

We launch Gameband Atari Edition via Kickstarter on February 8!

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#2 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Apple Member

• 938 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

I did see something about this on facebook. As a Samsung smartwatch and atari user i am very interested in this.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#3 TrekMD

TrekMD

Strawberry Member

• 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

I will admit to be curious but I haven't bitten on the smartwatch idea.  We'll see what happens when I see these.

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#4 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

I've been following this pretty closely, such that I was able to get in on the $99 super-early-bird price (just barely), and I'm actually pretty excited about it.  My job requires that I carry a work phone, and I really don't like having any personal stuff on it (music, podcasts, etc.) but at the same time, I also don't want to carry around a whole second phone for that sort of thing.  However, a smartwatch with an SD card slot?  That should work nicely.  It's got WiFi and Bluetooth and a USB-C port as well, so it looks pretty versatile.

As for actual gaming on the 1.63-inch (4.14cm) square screen, that will take some convincing.  I don't play any smartphone games, and haven't played a game on a watch since I was in the 7th grade, but I see how some Atari games could be conducive to the smartwatch format.  Breakout, for example, would work well using either the built-in motion sensor or a finger.

The other side of the watch-gaming coin token looks like a game delivery platform called PixelFurnace, which can be installed and run directly from the smartwatch's storage when plugged into a computer (Windows/Mac/Linux).  You could, I guess, run Atari Vault or whatever on any computer without having to install it on the computer itself.

#5 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,023 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

I would have been all over this but alas, I jumped on the Apple Watch train last fall & it is one of, if not the best gadget purchases I have ever made. I love it! Hopefully the Atari GameBand is just as cool! 

My Trading Post!      

Xbox GamerTag: StormSurge   Add me!!

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,053 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

They should call it FatBit......

....I got nothin'.

• jmjustin6 likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 TrekMD

TrekMD

Strawberry Member

• 91 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:19 PM

I've yet to jump on the smartwatch bandwagon.  Looking at some second generation ones now to see if they are something I want. 

#8 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Apple Member

• 938 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:20 PM

I've yet to jump on the smartwatch bandwagon. Looking at some second generation ones now to see if they are something I want.

If you are looking for a good smartwaych i recommend the Samsung galaxy gear S

Edited by jmjustin6, Yesterday, 04:20 PM.

#9 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,083 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 PM

I'd pass............ I would rather get the Atari Pong coffee table for $900 instead (if I had the money)!!

https://www.indiegog...-table-design#/

• Shinto likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#10 TrekMD

TrekMD

Strawberry Member

• 91 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 PM

If you are looking for a good smartwaych i recommend the Samsung galaxy gear S

Thanks. I'm looking at the Asus ZenWatch 3.  Now that version 2.0 of Android Wear is out I'm more interested.  I've heard the Galaxy Gear S is very good also. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users