Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Sword And The Rose: The Most Blatant Ghosts N Goblins Clone from Codemasters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

I give you Codemasters Sword And The Rose, with music from another game, Prince Clumsy.

How on earth this got past Capcom, I will never know.

ST had a lot of games inspired by coin ops like Rastan, Mercs, Wonderboy etc, but this was 1 of the most blatant I ever saw :-)).
  • Justin, MaximumRD, greenween and 2 others like this

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

The music is pretty painful, but the game looks like something I'd have ate up in my youth.

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 326 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Thats kind of cool!!!!! Sound is a bit of a goof but over all I would play that!!!!! 

• Lost Dragon likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thought this might get a bit of attention.

Glad you guys liked it :-)

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

Here's the C64 original, so why Codemasters changed name, no idea.
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#6 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 157 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Lol I remember this on the ST at this time in space I remember playing this from a menu disk from one of the ST's piracy scene group, I remember the game be so unforgiving and yes the music was terrible, but code masters actually in many ways where more faithful to the Arthur than software creations where to Ghoul'n'ghosts only tolerated thanks to Tim Follin's music to save it pityful ass.

But with it being an El-cheapo budget title it was never gonna go down as a classic like the dizzy games did, but yes I do agree the likeness to Capcom's arcade hit was seriously infringed here, I possible believe how it got away with this was simply territory of where it was released and by the company that released were so off the radar as regards to being a company of big audience say the likes Electronic Arts, Capcom's would never of noticed Code Masters, so I'd say small fish in a ocean too small to be spotted by the Capcom's shark :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Years back, i had Kenz of Binary Zone P.D include the C64 music on a CD as i was after the 'collected works' of the musician behind it, but i'd never seen the actual C64 game and i missed it as an ST owner at the time, though was aware of it...i just never knew anyone with it/saw it for sale.

Been discussing clones on ST etc and it came back to me.

Yep Capcom back then were content to sell home rights to their games to likes of Elite, US Gold etc, so it would of been more likely Elite who'd had ST/Amiga etc Ghost's N Goblins, who would of kicked off, thinking about it.

• Greyfox likes this

#8 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, Elite would have being looking for blood, but I think elite at that time were beginning to phase out on the computer scene thereafter , but I'd say in their full swing elite would have handed code masters their arse back over this. What's great about all this stuff they s actually some much more revealing games in the St that have ripped off major game IP as you mentioned above or one that ripped off original idea games , so a rip off of a rip off. Lol.

It could make a great feature if tied together properly or a cool video :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

If we are talking Arcade Clones on the ST:

Switchblade II (Strider), Torvak (Rastan), Warzone (Mercs), Viking Child (Super Wonderboy), Ghost Battle (Ghost N Goblins), Oops-Up (Pang), Leavin Teramius (Alien Syndrome), Bad Company (Space Harrier), Veteran (Operation Wolf), Hellfire Attack (Afterburner), Overlander (Roadblasters)....

Builderland (Rainbow Islands), Moonshine Racers (Chase HQ, but with a difference), Gods (Black Tiger), Prehistoric Tale (Bomb Jack)...

Codemasters also had:

T-Bird (Galaxy Force)

Mig 29:Soviet Fighter (Afterburner).

Back to issue of Hard Drivin...

They did a 'sequel' on ST/Amiga did they not? had more lastabilty due to the track editor, honestly think this should of been included in the orignial home release on ST/Amiga,myself.

PC Clone of Hard Drivin: Crash Course.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 13 February 2017 - 03:06 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

Another BLATANT clone of the Era, Nar....sorry, Crime Wave:

http://www.google.co...bQZ22AKf8ywJMug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users