Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Your Favourite Dungeon Crawler/D&D Game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Retro Play

Retro Play

Cherry Member

• 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

I must admit, I really enjoy playing Dark Chambers and Dragonstomper on the Atari 2600. I would say that these are my 2 favourite games right now!

• Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Definitely Dragonstomper, my favorite Atari 2600 game.

I like Dark Chambers too, but I like Crypts of Chaos even better!

• Retro Play, Lost Dragon and kamakazi20012 like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 TrekMD

TrekMD

Orange Member

• 247 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Dragonstomper gets my vote.  :)

• Rowsdower70, Retro Play and kamakazi20012 like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Adventure.  Best game on 2600 period for me. 

• Atari Adventure Square, Retro Play and kamakazi20012 like this

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Have any of you guys ever defeated the dragon on Dragonstomper?  I had the game back in the day, and liked it.  But never defeated it.  Plus it took a long time to make it to the dragon only to get defeated pretty quickly.  I just found it frustrating after a while, but I completely understand the appeal. 

• Rowsdower70, Retro Play and kamakazi20012 like this

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,259 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

I did as a kid, Rick...but I haven't put the time in it as an adult.   There's a trick to it by stocking up on the right stuff before you go in the cave part, but I dont remember specifics.

Adventure is obviously wonderful too, but still very basic.  

• RickR, Retro Play and AtariHero like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,258 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

If Dragonstomper had a save feature, it would have been one of the best games of all time.

I remember really liking it, but got very frustrated with the time commitment involved -- yet no real idea on how to win. You'd buy a "Stun" spell that did nothing...that type of thing. Another nice addition would be a hit-bar display for the dragon.
  • Rowsdower70 and Retro Play like this

#8 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 266 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

These titles look great and a great addition to the 2600 library.

Yeah, not being able to save on older games like these makes them time-prohibitive for gameplay.

Same with Riddle of the Sphinx for me, which I love but am unable to commit an entire afternoon like back in the day.

That's why the first golden cart Zelda was so wonderful, and made the NES a strong contender in the next-gen console wars.

Promo time:

That's why our Atari Adventure kingdom offers a full-range of RPG experiences at a low starting time rate of 2 minutes!

Come and discover the Random Game 3 possibilities (and frustrations!) for more commited play!

Open 24/7!

(p.s. Don't feed the dragons)

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and Retro Play like this

#9 AtariHero

AtariHero

Cherry Member

• 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Sorry to "ONE OF US" about this but DragonStomper for me too :P It gets the closest to an RPG or D&D game and is just very satisfying. Bonus points that one of the enemies are monkeys  :rofl:

Followed by Adventure then SwordQuest: Fireworld.

I just can't get into Dark Chambers on the 2600 with the 7800 version right there. My son and I have spent a few hours playing DC together on the ProSystem, so there's that bond going on too for that version.

I would put Secret Quest on there if I had spent more time with it. I get what they were trying to do but not a huge fan of the symbol system. Still, Zelda in space was kind of a cool idea (once again, wish they would have done a 7800 version too)

• Rowsdower70 and Retro Play like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users