Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Rarity - Atari Hi-Way

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AtariHero

AtariHero

Cherry Member

• 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

There is a discussion going on a closed 'arcade' Facebook group where a user there found a very rare Atari arcade game from 1975 called Hi-Way. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that this was the first true sit-down driving game; it also would precede and influence the likes of Night Driver a year later.

The user will apparently be restoring the game but the thread has also generated another picture of a Hi-Way that I'll share here. In all of the research I've done about Atari & arcade history, this is the first time I've seen this game 'live' as opposed to old promotional materials. Here is the first pic attached:

IMG_4903.JPG

Edited by AtariHero, 08 February 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• The Professor, Yo-Yo, Rowsdower70 and 2 others like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 3,831 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

It's beautiful.  Very "Space-War"-esque.  I love that glittery fiberglass from the 70's. 

:beer: Cheers for a hopefully successful restoration

• The Professor, Atari Creep, Rowsdower70 and 2 others like this

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,053 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'm with RickR, it looks like something straight off the set of the original Star Trek.   I hope it gets brought back to life!

• Atari Creep, kamakazi20012 and AtariHero like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 AtariHero

AtariHero

Cherry Member

• 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks to whoever fixed the post :)

It seems like the cabinets were able to hold up over the years although I doubt that many have been on location since the 70s ended. It would make for a pretty cool space game - maybe Star Raiders arcade :P

• Atari Creep and kamakazi20012 like this

#5 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 315 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

Wow that thing is beautiful! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#6 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

Never seen anything like it. Very Cool!  :100:  :martini:

#7 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Strawberry Member

• 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

Cool setup. I have never heard of this game before. But, since I was born in the 1970s, it is hard to remember games from then. Nice find! :D

P.S. I was born in '74, so I was maybe a year old when this game came out.

Edited by BlackCatz40, 13 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users