Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Art of Atari book review

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 169 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

Roger Huyssen was the artist who first created the Boston "city-within-a-guitar-spaceship" (see the portfolio on his website) for the debut (self-titled) album in '76.  The credits for Don't Look Back have Gary Norman credited for "Cover Art", while Roger Huyssen is credited for "Cover Illustration".  I suppose this credit may be a result of Norman using the Huyssen spaceship concept in his own artwork.  I may try contacting Mr. Huyssen to see if he can fill in any of the blanks here...

The Capsule Edition is a limited run version made exclusively for subscribers to LootCrate DX, the monthly mystery gaming-and-geeky-stuff box delivery service.  I don't have one so I can't comment on how condensed/abridged the book was for this edition.

Roger Huyssen kindly wrote me back and said that he was not at all involved in the artwork that was used for Don't Look Back -- he'd created entirely separate cover artwork that went unused.  So he's unfamiliar with Gary Norman (like the rest of us).  As for the similarities of the DLB and SI artwork and the signatures, he shares my opinion -- that while the artwork style is somewhat different and the signatures aren't exactly identical, he "would guess it's the same artist."

I've written again to ask if he might point me toward anyone else who could shed additional light on this.  Will report back if I get any further...

Can you ask Roger about whether or not he was involved with this German flyer for Atari's Starship 1 coin-op game, since the artwork is near-identical to Boston's first album (in 1976)?

http://flyers.arcade...id=6192&image=1

Attached Thumbnails

• Boston 1976.jpg
  • Starship 1 Germany flyer.jpg

• Lost Dragon likes this

#22 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Can you ask Roger about whether or not he was involved with this German flyer for Atari's Starship 1 coin-op game, since the artwork is near-identical to Boston's first album (in 1976)?

http://flyers.arcade...id=6192&image=1

Per an email reply from him today: no, he was not involved with this advertisement art.

"This is a rip off of the original cover art and then they painted over it in spots. Europe back then was able to get away with knocking off/copying and sometimes using the original album cover……that is what they did here."

• Lost Dragon likes this

#23 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 169 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for asking him.  I suspected it was something done only overseas (by Atari UK?), since no U.S. flyers used the same art.  Also not sure if it was only used in Germany, as Arcade Flyers database isn't complete (they rely on contributions).

• Lost Dragon likes this

#24 Mr SQL

Mr SQL

• 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Loved the book! The Capsule Edition doesn't sound as interesting, has anyone seen the Poster Edition?

Atari was still making posters recently - I recieved a Pong Poster signed by none other than Nolan Bushnell in 2012 for competing in the Pong Challenge Contest for the iphone, was supposed to be a lithograph initially.

• Lost Dragon likes this

ATARI FLASHBACK BASIC! Make games for the AFP with awesome  graphics, animation and a built in tracker/sequencer! Compatible with all Atari consoles! The IDE is already installed on your PC! Atari Flashback BASIC is cross compatible with the SuperCharger too! :)

AFB games can be recompiled with no changes using the SuperCharger BASIC compiler, available at Relationalframework.com/vwBASIC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users