Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari / Namco F-1 1976 arcade game

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

I remember playing this in the arcades that lined the street at Geneva on the lake, a summer resort we would frequent on our vacations.  

At the beginning of the street the arcades housed all the older pinball and electro magnet type games, I can still remember the smell of melted plastic and burn metal.  The end of the block housed the newest games around Space Harrier, Hang on, the newest of the new. 

But check the mechanics of this cabinet - its wild. 

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 5 others like this

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• 972 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

At first I confused this with TX-1 until I watched the video. Is this your arcade machine BTB?
  • Justin, btbfilms76, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#3 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

No not mine. Just a memory. It's my understanding that a lot of these melted or worse yet caught fire. Something about bulbs burning up the plastic components.
  • Justin, The Professor, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#4 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 774 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

I remember this game.  Now that I seen the mechanics I was like, "Wow."  It's amazing it worked at all.  But it makes sense why they caught fire since the materials used looked closer related to movie projectors.  So the bulbs get hot, the heat gets absorbed by the plastic "film", film gets too hot and ignites.  So good concept and idea but also a fire hazard at the same time.  Still cool to see and it did work...for a while.

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#5 AtariHero

AtariHero

Cherry Member

• 34 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

I've never had the pleasure of seeing an F-1...it's another rarity. I have come across various EM games that pretended to be video games however and I really find the ingenuity to make them work fascinating. Too bad they are generally enormous  and I'm not quite technical enough to figure out how to fix them. Otherwise I wouldn't mind having a couple in my arcade.

#6 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 315 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

OH MAN!!!! I remember playing this one. Fun fact: If memory serves, this game was in the original Dawn of the Dead!!!!!!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 3,831 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

OH MAN!  I totally remember this game.  This was a great time when new ideas were being green-lit.  Pushing the envelope. 

The thing I remember about this game was how fragile it seemed.  It didn't quite work right...crash detection could get off pretty easily.  So as great as the game looked, the play was a little bit random.  But I totally loved this game just for how cool it looked.  That and 280Zzzapp! really made an eight year old feel like he could really drive. 

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#8 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 774 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

OH MAN!  I totally remember this game.  This was a great time when new ideas were being green-lit.  Pushing the envelope. 

The thing I remember about this game was how fragile it seemed.  It didn't quite work right...crash detection could get off pretty easily.  So as great as the game looked, the play was a little bit random.  But I totally loved this game just for how cool it looked.  That and 280Zzzapp! really made an eight year old feel like he could really drive. 

Well...I remember playing the 280 and wasn't really good at it.  Then Mom bought a Datsun 280Z, later followed by a 280ZX, one of which I would get later in life, and flashbacks of that game came to mind.  I agree, the 280ZZZapp!  game was loads of fun!

• RickR likes this

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 3,831 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

That's why Night Driver was one of the first VCS games we got!

#10 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Strawberry Member

• 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

No not mine. Just a memory. It's my understanding that a lot of these melted or worse yet caught fire. Something about bulbs burning up the plastic components.

That's the first I've heard of that.  Several games back then used the same basic components and were nothing more than fancy projectors.  Chicago Coin's Speedway was another.  I have an F-1 and there's nothing to catch fire and burn up inside it.  The projection cabinet is metal and the seat is metal and fiberglass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users