Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Altered Beast is underrated

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:19 AM

Game Gear Chase H.Q seemed faster and smoother than M.S version and had extra features like a route map and spare parts, so i would often try various versions of games on Sega formats myself, to see what changes were made and being on a weaker system sometimes meant features added to make up for audio/visual short comings.

Always found MS Shadow Of The Beast far more playable than the MD version also.

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

Master System Galaxy Force was great, 3D a little jerky, but speed was fantastic, decent enough on the ST, visually, but far too easy and thus i was expecting great things from the Mega Drive version, but it was awful :(

Sega should have saved it for the Mega CD.

Platoon? like Myth, C64 all the way, NES versions? awful.

Thunder Blade:Not that hot on even the PC Engine is it? Jerky graphics, poor sound etc.

Eswat is another curio..great conversion to Amiga, but less said about ST version the better, out went the full screen scrolling, in came slow and jerky scrolling, along with jerky sprites, no digitised speech etc.

MS version seemed decent enough given the hardware, but was far too easy and thus for a £30 game..needed more levels/challenge etc.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 21 February 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#23 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

Bit of UK Press Coverage....

Attached Thumbnails

• cvg9100080.jpg
  • cvg9100081.jpg
  • cvg9100086.jpg
  • cvg8200106.jpg

• Gemini Gamer likes this

#24 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

More UK Coverage of Coin-Op

Attached Thumbnails

• cu63000094.jpg
  • cu63000095.jpg

• RickR and Gemini Gamer like this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

More UK Coverage.

Attached Thumbnails

• cu72000011.jpg
  • cu7300020.jpg
  • cu7300021.jpg
  • cu7300022.jpg
  • cu74000123.jpg

#26 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Well, we were not short of format reviews of the game here in UK :)

Attached Thumbnails

• tgm26000021.jpg
  • tgm2500085.jpg

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

1 more UK Scan.

Attached Thumbnails

• tgm1800049.jpg

#28 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Altered Beast was the first Genesis game I ever played. I've spoken about "console arcades" in another post (see http://forums.atari....onsole-arcades/), but the console arcade next door to my house got the Genesis when Altered Beast was the pack in game for the Genesis still, and I remember playing it and being blown away. I had no idea it was originally an arcade game, and was just thrilled to be playing a new 16 bit title that blew my NES and Atari out of the water! 

We still love it today at our house too... there are times my daughter or I say "Welcome to your doom!" as a running joke  :D Two players simultaneous play is another notch in its favor, and lets face it, it's CHEAP if you're just starting a Genesis collection. It was one of the first games I picked up when I got a Genesis a few years back.

Just do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from the SMS version though... *shudders* My wife got a copy for me in a lot of SMS games she bought me for Christmas, and after playing it once it has stayed firmly on the shelf, collecting dust.

Edited by Starbuck66, 06 April 2017 - 09:50 PM.

• Lost Dragon and Gemini Gamer like this

#29 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

A mini-UK review of the MD version, bit harsh on it i thought...

Attached Thumbnails

• mmachsegaguide000019.jpg

• RickR and Gemini Gamer like this

#30 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

I've never tried the SMS version of Altered Beast.  Now I'd really like to.  Seems like it would be an easy cart to find...but I've never seen one. 

#31 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

I've never tried the SMS version of Altered Beast.  Now I'd really like to.  Seems like it would be an easy cart to find...but I've never seen one. 

Even thought the Genesis version was a launch title, the Master System version was one of the later releases here in the US (Same thing goes for Columns, Ghouls & Ghosts, Golden Axe and some other titles). So it is an uncommon SMS game here in the states.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#32 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

Well, it seems UK Press had it's fans...

Attached Thumbnails

• ace2600064.jpg

#33 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

The NES Version (Japan Only?) seems something of a real oddity: Known as:Juuouki (Chronicles Of The Beast King?). http://www.google.co...MbkFBYjzaLL5e9wSprites seem tiny, 1/3 of screen taken up by a status panel etc which go agains't it, but... It offers 3 new stages, 3 new beasts to transform into (Lion, phoenix and shark) and new bosses, as if to compensate somewhat for what was lost from the arcade.

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

Ouch!

Amiga Format NOT a fan then?

Attached Thumbnails

• amfor0500063.jpg

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

http://www.eurogamer...f-altered-beast

#36 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Altered Beast was the first Genesis game I ever played. I've spoken about "console arcades" in another post (see http://forums.atari....onsole-arcades/), but the console arcade next door to my house got the Genesis when Altered Beast was the pack in game for the Genesis still, and I remember playing it and being blown away. I had no idea it was originally an arcade game, and was just thrilled to be playing a new 16 bit title that blew my NES and Atari out of the water! 

We still love it today at our house too... there are times my daughter or I say "Welcome to your doom!" as a running joke  :D Two players simultaneous play is another notch in its favor, and lets face it, it's CHEAP if you're just starting a Genesis collection. It was one of the first games I picked up when I got a Genesis a few years back.

Just do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from the SMS version though... *shudders* My wife got a copy for me in a lot of SMS games she bought me for Christmas, and after playing it once it has stayed firmly on the shelf, collecting dust.

The SMS version is REALLY bad, and I honestly believe Sega didn't even try.  I know the Master System isn't the Genesis, but they could've done much better.

• Starbuck66 likes this

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

https://www.youtube....VpbqFDcewhi_aqA

#37 Mcorleonep

Mcorleonep

Cherry Member

• 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

I remember playing this at a friends (still had an NES then).  I thought it wasn't a bad game, just not very good pack-in game.  It was pretty short and even then I thought it odd that Sega would have a game with such a morbid theme as a pack-in.

• Justin, LeeJ07 and Gemini Gamer like this

#38 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 981 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

"Wise fwom your Gwave." -- 16 bit Zeus

Edited by LeeJ07, 03 August 2017 - 03:50 AM.

• RickR, Gemini Gamer and Mcorleonep like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#39 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

tirap007.jpg

• nosweargamer, LeeJ07, Starbuck66 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users