Laserdisc

RickR

Check out this site, BlackCatz40: http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html

Tom has put a LOT of work into this site and CED technology.  Every player, patent, movie, known to exist on the CED format can most likely be looked up here...not for sale mind you but just a historical point-of-view.

It's really no secret any more how they did it.  I already posted this somewhere on here but for ease of finding it...

During the last production run, RCA gave the employees this movie.  Japan also adopted the technology that actually sold very well known as VHD (Video High Density).  They made a smaller disc that held two frames per revolution, was slightly smaller in size, and corrected some of the player issues RCA models had.  I spent years studying the technology myself once I inherited a few players and movies from all of the family members on my dad's side of the family.  One was a stereo model (SJT-200) that played well.  But since most movies were mono I didn't use the stereo sound much.  I would really like to get another CED player and movies sometime as there are movies on CED that simply are not found on other formats.

I did attempt to clean CEDs I had to help them play, which did work, but I didn't know about the oil on the discs to protect the stylus at the time.  So my players' styluses wore out at a faster rate.  I was in the process of trying to find a replacement oil I could spray on the discs but never found a silicon oil anywhere.

Yes, I have seen this site before. It is pretty informative. Thanks for posting this. :)

I was wondering. Even though I have looked at this site before, I am wondering if there is a DIY way to manufacture and record a new issue CED video disc. Perhaps, the CED could be 3D printed. Vinyl records have been 3D printed before, and a CED is basically a record. I wonder if someone could manufacture a CED recorder just for the heck of it. But, the recording process was sold and it has not been released to the public, as far as I know. But, maybe this site has been updated with new information that I have not previously been aware of. Is this something new on the site that I may have missed, Kamikazi20012? Thanks for the information. :D

I just got a new (1993) Yamaha Laserdisk player and 10 new (to me) movies.  The player needs some new belts, but is otherwise OK. 

Wonder where one orders up new replacement belts for LD players? I have two that were working when last fired up about 5 years ago, but that was 5 years ago and they have sat in my closet ever since. One is even a dual sided player with autoflip and built in AC3 surround via digital optical out! Though I never tested that part of it but have been thinking about it. While the autoflip player works, it sure would make a hell of a noise when it did the flip process.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Wonder where one orders up new replacement belts for LD players? I have two that were working when last fired up about 5 years ago, but that was 5 years ago and they have sat in my closet ever since. One is even a dual sided player with autoflip and built in AC3 surround via digital optical out! Though I never tested that part of it but have been thinking about it. While the autoflip player works, it sure would make a hell of a noise when it did the flip process.

I ordered an assortment of belts of various sizes on Ebay. The auction was labeled as "Belts for tape player". It was $10 and came with about 50 belts in 4 different sizes. I have a ton extra if anyone needs some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMhsvNBQh0&feature=share

An interesting comparison of VHS vs. Laserdisc.  The real difference is that LD includes the full frame.  It's pretty apparent that a lot is lost by cutting the screen down to a square.  I remember that it was important to find a 70mm theater to watch Star Wars in back in the 70's.  To get the full impact of the film. 

Of course, it's easy enough to buy a DVD or Blu-Ray to get the same impact....BUT in the case of Star Wars, there is no way to get the original theatrical cut on the newer media at this time.  You are pretty much stuck with all the George Lucas "enhancements" unless you find the LaserDisc.  Or watch the hacked version on-line :)