Donkey Kong Advanced by ophelius. (PC)

MaximumRD

Donkey Kong Advanced

A remake of the classic arcade game. This is not a rom hack. It's meant to be more difficult than the original giving players new levels and new challenges. I've tried to study the original as close as I can to maintain the same feel, but added new elements and challenges. Even though it can be played on your PC, it's meant to be played in people's mame arcade cabinets. If you ever put this game in your cabinet, send me a screenshot or video!

[bug Reports] Contact me at justinbohemier@gmail.com if you find a bug. Please try to be as detailed as possible and include system specs.

[updates]

-Added 16-bit support for older video cards

-Added the option in the config tool to manually enter a specific resolution.

-I included a tool to map out keyboard keys if you're using a joystick.

[Changes from the original]

-Obviously the levels look different, some completely new, and others have the same level structure with some differences

-New switch, laser, and key system to save Pauline.

-Mario can jump off high platforms and land without killing himself(c'mon, he's mario)

-New heart bonus items are worth 2000 points but are tricky to get.

-No intro scene, I might add one though.

-Barrels rebound off the floor higher than before

-Hitting barrels with the hammer doesn't pause the game during the explosion

-Level 4 is icy, with a shoe item you can get that makes it not slipery

-and some other stuff

[Possible Future Changes]

-More levels. I'm tempted to have 1 long game that doesn't repeat. Instead of repeating every 4 levels, you might have 12 levels with an actual end to the game.

-Bonus level if you collect all the hearts.

-Intro to the game when you push start.

-Cut scenes

More information

Install instructions

Extract the Zip file and run DK.exe. Press C to add a credit, then Enter to start. Use the Config tool to remap the keys, to make it Free Play, enable full screen, and other options.

Anti-Virus Warning: Some people have had their anti-virus flag the exe as a virus, myself included, but I can assure you there's no virus. It was compiled using Freebasic and for some strange technical reason, certain anti-virus programs flag programs compiled with this compiler as having a virus, I don't know why. Just add it to your exceptions list.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Will not load on Windows 7 :-(

You appear to be attemting to launch game directly from the .ZIP FILE? UnZip entire folder content then go in folder and click DK.exe. 

I recreated your exact same issue trying to run from archive. Worked fine once I extracted the folder. 

Instructions from site - 

Install instructions
Extract the Zip file and run DK.exe. Press C to add a credit, then Enter to start. Use the Config tool to remap the keys, to make it Free Play, enable full screen, and other options.

Otherwise I have no idea. Works fine on my Windows 10. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison