Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

If you were to Re-design Atari Karts...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

So, i took a brief look at some PS1 Kart Racers:

MegaMan:Battle And Chase-Seems to let you strip defeated opponents Karts for parts...

Bomberman:Fantasy Race..nothing really stood out.

Crash team Racing look impressive, but again, seemed forgetabble.

Konami Krazy racers had good cast:Gray fox, Vic  Viper, Dracula etc.

But all of these seemed pretty much forgettable goods to my eyes.

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Checked out a few more on various formats:

S.C.A.R.S N64 etc

Renegade racers PS1

Wreckin Crew PS1

Nothing stood out for me personally.

Mod Nation racers PS3 Ok, so you can design your own tracks...

LBP Kart Racer PS3-Visually very nice, plus Stephen Fry voice over and a few interesting game modes...

Garfield Kart PC-Simply awful.

Basically, as poor as Atari karts might be, it's far, far from the WORSE Kart racer out there and later Mario kart Clones by far bigger developers on far more powerful hardware, really haven't done a huge amount of favours for their systems either...

• Clint Thompson likes this

#23 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

I was thinking about this today. They could have had cool Atari themed environments. Like one which is the Blasted landscape of Missile Command with missiles raining down in the background. But I think someone already said that. Or how about where missiles could be targeted at the opponents and they have like a few moments to get out of the way.

Race through Bentley Bears Castle. A Tempest 2000 inspired track. Where it looks like your sort of racing down the web like Black Widows and or Tempest 2K. Maybe you have to dodge spikers?

How about the power ups could have been like super zapper.

The possibilities could have been fun.
  • atarilbc likes this

#24 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:58 AM

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of classic characters to be drawn from Atari's golden era games. I think this is one reason why we only see Bentley Bear in Atari Karts. The most popular Atari arcade properties predate character driven games. As mentioned above, you're essentially limited to Charley Chuck, Berthilda and Major Havoc. While a lot of fun, Crystal Castles, Food Fight and Major Havoc are not exactly top tier Atari titles in the vein of Asteroids, Centipede, Tempest, Missile Command and Battlezone. That said, the classic IP could have been leveraged for world building.

For example, imagine a Missile Command inspired world where you're driving your kart racer in a city while ballistic missiles rain down around you. Or driving through a mushroom filled land where spiders, scorpions and centipedes are the hazards. Atari missed an opportunity to find creative ways to themes from their best known games into Atari Karts.

I won't dwell on other improvements like better control, longer tracks, and more obvious power-ups and hazards. We all know the game didn't have a lot of depth or polish. For what it is - a generic kart racer - I've always enjoyed it.

Whoa you beat me to all this. Good call.
  • Justin and atarilbc like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users