WANTED: Feedback for Jr. Pac-Man for Atari 7800!

dauber

I know I'm posting this a bit early, but there's a lot of work going into this episode so I want to get what I can get as early as I can.

I'm looking for feedback for episode 6 of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800?

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

Deadline is, kinda-sorta, 11:59pm CST on Thursday, March 9. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Getting started early never hurts! Jr. Pac-Man for Atari 7800 is my favorite of the PacManPlus releases, for two reasons:

1. It's a faithful and satisfying port.

2. Growing up, I thought Jr. Pac-Man was brilliant on the 2600 and was one of the games I played the most on the 7800. I always wished there had been a 7800 version and never understood why there wasn't. It felt like there was a gap in the 7800 library where Jr. Pac-Man should have been, and this release fixes that. Colorful, fun, great animation sequences, and everything that I had wanted in Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800 came to life.

There are lots of tremendous homebrews on the 7800 but for me the ones that really shine are the titles that I had always wanted to see on the 7800, finally done right. 

Best wishes on your podcast!

Ah, Jr. Pac-Man.  He may be Jr. but there is nothing Jr. about him.  With the massive mazes, high speed, and exploding bonus items this is a Pac-Man game that will satisfy any fan of the Pac-series of games.  Of course, this particular port by Bob DeCrescenzo is nothing short of a gaming work of art.  This port has graphics that are excellent and arcade-accurate.  The mazes scroll horizontally and the action is just as frenetic.  The sound effects are an excellent approximation to the arcade's, which is a feat all on its own given the limits of the TIA chip in the 7800.  If you want to "cheat" a bit, you can use the right difficulty switch to give Jr. a speed edge that should make it easier to finish those huge mazes. In addition to all the mazes, the game features the intermission screens.  I know the 2600 port does not have these and I believe other Atari ports do not have these either, so this is a nice touch.  This is yet another must-have for anyone with an Atari 7800.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I remember reading somewhere that this homebrew was first announced on the Atariage message boards, and the person that posted about it claimed it was a beta cartridge that he found in his attic, so that he could release the homebrew as an April Fools joke. He was even uploading footage of it and everything.

Tune in March 11 for the story. :)

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.