Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Real Master System, Power Base Converter, or Master Gear?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Last year, I made the difficult decision, Sega Master System or Dreamcast. As you probably already know, I went with the Dreamcast, and I love it. This year, I'd love to get a Sega console that I don't have. I decided to skip the Saturn and SG-1000 to buy a Master System. Before I do that, I need a new Game Gear and I could really use a Model 1 Genesis (I have a retro bit system for Genesis games). So I'm wondering, should I get a real SMS for authenticity and card games, a Master Gear for portability, or the Power Base Converter (I believe that's what it's called) to play SMS on Genesis?
  • Justin, Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

https://www.youtube....VpbqFDcewhi_aqA

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,366 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

I have the power base converter and a real SMS gamepad, and it works well.
  • Atari Creep, Rowsdower70, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

#3 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,077 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Personally given the option? I'd go original SMS console so you have the option of the card games. The Power Base Convertor with a model 1 Genesis is a damn nice setup but there is just something about the original SMS console imho.

• Atari Creep, Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and 2 others like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

My vote would be for the real Master System, it's a great console and very under rated in my opinion. Give it a try, if you don't like it you can always put it on eBay.
  • Justin, Atari Creep, Rowsdower70 and 2 others like this

#5 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,120 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

If you already want to get a Genesis, save space and money and get the Power Base Converter.

It plays all the card games except F-16 Fighting Falcon (which hasn't got good reviews)!

I don't know why a lot of gamers think it doesn't play card games.

There are also 3 or so games that need the regular SMS controller to works like Wonder Boy 2 and Shanghai. Most other games play perfectly with the Genesis controller.

• MaximumRD, Atari Creep, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#6 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 633 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

I have a Genesis with the Power Base Converter.  It works quite well to play the original games for the SMS plus I can play the Genesis games, which is rather practical.  The decision, however, is yours as it all depends on what you prefer.  Do you want the original console to play or are you okay using another console that is capable of playing the games?

• Atari Creep, kamakazi20012 and Gemini Gamer like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#7 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 222 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

Original Master System.

BECAUSE SNAIL MAZE

• Justin, Atari Creep, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

#8 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,077 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

You know I honestly DID forget?  :rofl: I had one back in the day when they first appeared and yes it was pretty damn awesome sitting on my model 1 Genesis. 

Still, I love the look of the original SMS. That is something I didn't have back in the day and a while back I had picked up a complete package and realized how much I wished I had had it back in the day. I really gotta do a follow up video on the SMS someday  :beer:

• Atari Creep, nosweargamer, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#9 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,292 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

I had all except for the converter for the GG.  The Power Base converter is nice but there is nothing quite like the real hardware.  However, like Ferg mentioned there is a snail game hidden in some of the SMS consoles but not all of them.  You will need to find one that doesn't have Super Hang-On and Safari Hunt built-in for a better chance to find that Snail game.  Honestly, I'd go for the real SMS hardware.  It's unique and nothing else is quite like it.  I loved the graphics on it better than the NES...I just wish it had better sound abilities.

• Gemini Gamer likes this

#10 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 542 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Original Master System.

BECAUSE SNAIL MAZE

I will always say a Master System but the original model. HOWEVER you can't go wrong with a PBC either. I say if you do not have a lot of space get a PBC and a model 1 Genesis!!!! 

Sega Master System is Frankie approved!!!!! 

IMG_20170301_211216_zpses5ppyfm.jpg

Edited by Atari Creep, 03 March 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• MaximumRD, Lost Dragon and Gemini Gamer like this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#11 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

My vote would be for the real Master System, it's a great console and very under rated in my opinion. Give it a try, if you don't like it you can always put it on eBay.

If I do get one, I know I'll love it :)

• Atari Creep and Lost Dragon like this

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

#12 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

If you already want to get a Genesis, save space and money and get the Power Base Converter.

It plays all the card games except F-16 Fighting Falcon (which hasn't got good reviews)!

There are also 3 or so games that need the regular SMS controller to works like Wonder Boy 2 and Shanghai. Most other games play perfectly with the Genesis controller.

What I might do is get the Power Base Converter first, and in a few years or so, buy a real SMS.

• MaximumRD, Atari Creep and Lost Dragon like this

#13 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 542 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

I could really use a Model 1 Genesis

I have a second one here that is not getting any use. Not sure if I have all the cords for it or if it even works. If you are interested I will pull it out to test it and get it over to ya!!!! Message me if you are interested.

• RickR, Lost Dragon and Gemini Gamer like this

#14 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,366 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

I need more SMS games.  Is it just me, or are they hard to find?

• Atari Creep, Rowsdower70 and Gemini Gamer like this

#15 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 542 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Yup. It didn't sell so well in N. America so carts a re tough to come by. I only know 1 person that had a SMS growing up. Nintendo dominated the market and had an illegal strong hold on 3rd party developers and as we all know a system without games will not do well or fail all together.

Edited by Atari Creep, 03 March 2017 - 07:32 PM.

• nosweargamer, Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#16 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,120 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Yup. It didn't sell so well in N. America so carts a re tough to come by. I only know 1 person that had a SMS growing up. Nintendo dominated the market and had an illegal strong hold on 3rd party developers and as we all know a system without games will not do well or fail all together.

Yeah, NES had 90% of the market with the 7800 and SMS splitting the rest...and some years the 7800 beat out the SMS!

• Atari Creep, Lost Dragon and Gemini Gamer like this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

And yet in Europe, it was so, so different.

The Master system did great guns under Virgin Mastertronic and we also saw a good deal of the Card games re-issued on Cartridge, something i believe never happened in USA?.

The 7800 by comparison arrived very late and didn't come off anywhere near as well, it's games looking very dated next to things like SMB III (NES) and wonderboy:Dragon's Trap, Prince Of Persia etc on Master System.

I think going with Powerbase convertor was right call, if you really want the card games/going for full collection, then the real hardware would of been a wiser long term choice given your location, but if your just out to try the games....

Powerbase all the way.

MS versions of things like The Terminator offer far better VFM than the Genesis version also...

• Atari Creep, Rowsdower70 and Gemini Gamer like this

#18 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,120 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

And yet in Europe, it was so, so different.

The Master system did great guns under Virgin Mastertronic and we also saw a good deal of the Card games re-issued on Cartridge, something i believe never happened in USA?.

I was always envious of all the the games I saw from the UK fro the SMS back as a Genesis owner when I flipped though import magazines at bookstores. Back in the US, there was barely any 3rd party support, so no Terminator for us.

Also, the UK got a PBC for the model 2 genesis, but we did not. However, I don't think it took card games, so at least we got that going for us for the original PBC.

Spy vs Spy is the only game I can think of that got both card and cartridge releases in the US..

• Lost Dragon and Gemini Gamer like this

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Did the US get MS releases of things like:

Power Strike II (Very different to Game Gear version)

Masters Of Combat

Prince Of Persia

Buggy Run

Masters Of Combat

Light Phaser version of:Assault City

Fire And Forget II

MK II

Micro Machines

Road Rash

T2:Arcade Game

Mind you, you guys had:

King's Quest:Quest For The Crown

Alf

Golden Axe warrior

Few others did you not?

• Gemini Gamer likes this

#20 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

The last officially released game was Sonic The Hedgehog here in North America. Lots of great PAL SMS games only came out on Game Gear here such as Master Of Darkness, Sonic Chaos, and the Streets Of Rage games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users