Your favorite light gun game recommendations

jmjustin6

So thanks to secret santa i got these 2 time crisis games for use with my ps1 guncon controller. I finally got some free time to play these and They are really fun and got me in the mood to play more light gun games for any and all systems. So what games do you remember that were fun? What games do you remember that weren't any good and sre ones to stay away from?

Ill start it off with another i really liked. House of the dead 3 for the original xbox. You used the green light gun and i had a blast and i actually beat that one.

post-844-0-18191300-1489272673_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmjustin6

As far as the 7800 goes, Alien Brigade might be one of the best 8-bit light gun games ever made for any system, but it is a bit bloody and pricey. It is pretty similar to Operation Wolf, but with aliens.

I would avoid Meltdown, Barnyard Blaster and Sentinel on the 7800 but recommend Crossbow and, ironically, the 2600 version of Sentinel.

Some other light guns games I enjoyed include Virtua Cop 1& 2 with the Sega Saturn & Stunner, T2 with the Menacer on the Genesis and Duck Hunt, off course.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Cool.i was wondering if i should try and find an atari light gun and i think yoh convenienced me.

It also works well with a controller, if you don't want to use a light gun.  Both it and crossbow allow the controller to be used. The other games mentioned do not, but aren't that great.

And if you want a new light gun, Best Electronics sells an Atari compatible one that works just as well as the original (Both have aim that is slightly off, but easy to get use of) and for about the same prices as a used XG1. If your handy, you can also mod a Sega Light Phaser for the Master System.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Honestly, Duck Hunt is kinda fun but I've never been a fan of any of the light gun games.   Gimmicky, but I never thought they fleshed out many good games for home consoles.

There's a few in the arcades that were kinda cool, but again not a gimmick that attracts my attention really. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I've only played a few but House of the Dead on Dreamcast was fun, Virtua Cop on Saturn I liked, and Duck Hunt and Gumshoe I favor over other NES gun games but I've only played a few so there may be some that I have yet to see.  Hogan's Alley I have but it is one of my least favorite games  I've not played a gun game on any PS system so I can't comment on those.  I agree with NSG on the 7800 games, especially Meltdown which seemed like an unfinished game to me.  It doesn't look good and the game play is so-so...nothing to write home about.  Sega's Master System has better light gun games than the 7800 in my opinion and I hate to say that as much as I love the 7800 but it missed the mark on the light gun games and it should have received its own light gun instead using what was already available.  At least a style change would have been nice as the XE light gun just seems out of place when used with the system and it is not very accurate.

The Scope 6 on the SNES was cool...but again I found the games included to be lacking replay value.  They can get repetitive and boring quick for me.  I'd go with a Sega Master System and light gun setup personally.  It was better supported with some very unique games.