Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

2600 Homebrew Review - Dead of Knight

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

This game was placed in the last Retro Junk box by Rowsdower70 (Thank you, sir!)

I finally took the time to really play it, and thought I'd give my impression here.

The game itself is labeled as #17 of 20, and signed by Joe Grisaffi (one of the designers and director of the film) and was made in 2013. I have not seen the film this game is based on, but it appears to be available for free on-line, and I'm going to check it out. I also don't know if only 20 copies of this cartridge were created. If so, that's a shame, as the game is really good. It came with a manual which is simple and well done.

The game has a really nice opening screen with great music. You start as a naked guy who has to find his armor. Once you find it, you can use your sword to hack up 4 victims that you have to search for. Each time you kill a victim, a policeman is spawned. They shoot you, and you are unable to kill them. After the 4th victim is killed, the goal becomes to find a character named "Marla" and drag her into a castle. Once inside, you must defeat a Boss Queen by shooting away at her shields and then the queen herself.

The game reminds me a lot of "Haunted House" -- lots of searching and exploring, while avoiding the bad guys as best you can. I think it's really a lot of fun. It makes you want to keep playing until you can defeat at least one boss. The graphics are great, and there's no flicker at all.

RickR's final grade: A

Anyone else have more info on this game, or an opinion on the gameplay?

Attached Thumbnails

• Dead of Knight 2017-03-12 001.JPG
  • Dead of Knight 2017-03-12 002.JPG

Edited by RickR, 13 March 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• Arenafoot, atarilbc, Atari Creep and 3 others like this

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Joe buys them in small batches, so 20 is all that have been made for now.    

Sounds like it is a total blast, and I love the review!     

Thanks for posting :)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

The picture on the cartridge sticker looks fantastic!

I would like to have that as a poster!

Is it possible to make a second edition of the game via Atari Age or anyother producer?

I bet, there are many grateful consumers.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 13 March 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#4 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

The picture on the cartridge sticker looks fantastic!

I would like to have that as a poster!

Is it possible to make a second edition of the game via Atari Age or anyother producer?

I bet, there are many grateful consumers.

I'm almost positive that Joe paid Albert to make the 20 copies he had, so I'm sure it's possible to make another batch if there was enough interest. 

• Atari Creep likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#5 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 465 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Sounds fun. Going to look up gameplay footage!

• RickR likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users