Anybody Here Know Anything About Defective Playstation Games?

LeeJ07

I recently purchased Chrono Cross online, and both discs look perfectly fine, but while I was playing the game today it freezes up at the exact same place every time I try to play it. I thought at first it was simply an incompatibility with my PS2, but the same problem happens on my PSOne as well.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I don't want this to be a waste of $17.

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I'll try cleaning it like you suggest.

If that doesn't work, a quick Ebay search shows me that I can replace disc 1 cheaply if absolutely necessary.

I suppose I could try to get a refund for it from Gamestop, where I got it from in the first place, but I'll admit to having been very pleased at receiving not only the game but the case and manual as well, and knowing Gamestop, there's no guarantee a replacement copy of Chrono Cross would also be complete.

Can you see any scratches on the label side of the disc?  If so then the disc is gone...there's nothing that can fix that.  My other suggestion is only if the label side doesn't have scratches...some local game shops, and some rental stores, have a way to professionally remove scratches from discs.  You might ask around in your area and see if a good polish from one of those machines might do the trick.  I know most Game X Change stores have a buffer that removes scratches and generally restores discs.  They have saved a few of mine for $3 a disc.  It might be worth looking into.  

Yea...I've never understood GameStop's business practices.  Game X Change wouldn't even consider a disc-based game unless it was complete.  No manual and/or no case then they won't take them.  Gamestop takes games without regards to their conditions.  It can help replace a damaged disc if all you need is the disc but people like me that would prefer a complete in box game don't need to be dealing with GameStop unless we can go into the store and see the product.  It is possible to find some really good bargains from there at times...I just wish they took better care in how they obtained stuff.  I got an original PS2 with a melted top yet I also got a Sony-refurbished 40GB PS3.  The thing was brand new as far as I was concerned.  

@RickR Ooh, how do I do that? I tried looking on the website, but all I could find was returns and refunds info, but nothing about replacement. Should I send them an email?

@Kamakazi I don't normally go through Gamestop for retro stuff, but I recently won a couple Gamestop giftcards online, so I decided to go vintage.

Regarding the disc itself, it looks perfect. No scratches on front or back. I can see where it was rebuffed, too, and I've never had a rebuffed disc act up before, so the sudden game freeze was completely unexpected.

Edited by LeeJ07

I'm not sure that taking it to a local Gamestop would help. I want a replacement for just disc 1, but according to the return policy, I have to return the entire product, and I'm not convinced I'll get another complete set in return.