Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

MP5 - 4.3" Portable Handheld Video Game Console Player

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Well, I took a little gamble and purchased one of these on Ebay.  The part that intrigued me was that it will play NES and GBA ROMS that you can install on the device.

It arrived today, and here's my impression so far:

• It does indeed play NES and GBA ROM files just fine.  They are easy to load on the unit using a USB cable.  I've been using the NES emulation mostly, and it seems pretty spot on.  Sounds are good. 
  • It mentions SMS compatibility too, but I haven't tried that.
  • GBA games also work great. 
  • The screen is very nice and bright.  It looks great.
  • Sounds are good too.
  • You can also use it as a media device.  Music and video files play fine.
  • It has a camera.  Have not tried it.
  • The case design is a blatant rip-off of the PSP (see my pic below).  
  • It's very lightweight and feels a little cheap.  Very similar to the 2600 flashback portable.
  • Mine may (or may not) be defective -- It's been charging for about an hour but won't turn on without it being plugged in.  I'll let it charge overnight and see if that's what it needs.
  • Documentation?  Not a single word.  You're on your own figuring this thing out.

Assuming the battery works, I think this thing is really cool.  My plan is to load up a ton of NES and GBA roms and take it with me on the go.  There are some GREAT games for those systems.

Picture below is the MP5 unit on top (in blue) and a real PSP on the bottom. 

Attached Thumbnails

• MP5 002.JPG

• greenween, Atari Creep, Lost Dragon and 2 others like this

#2 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

I came so close to ordering one of these last night! Went with the Sega Ultimate Portable instead.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#3 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

What's with the 10,000 games built in??

• Lost Dragon likes this

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

What's with the 10,000 games built in??

Total hogwash.  There are a bunch of GBA games "built-in", but nowhere near 10,000. 

• greenween likes this

#5 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 112 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

I saw one of those a while back.  Should've bought it.

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

https://www.youtube....VpbqFDcewhi_aqA

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Seems like a good deal for the price point, as long as it holds together.   I'm curious about the charging issue.  It might just be a bad battery, I guess.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 465 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Well, I took a little gamble and purchased one of these on Ebay.  The part that intrigued me was that it will play NES and GBA ROMS that you can install on the device.

It arrived today, and here's my impression so far:

• It does indeed play NES and GBA ROM files just fine.  They are easy to load on the unit using a USB cable.  I've been using the NES emulation mostly, and it seems pretty spot on.  Sounds are good. 
  • It mentions SMS compatibility too, but I haven't tried that.
  • GBA games also work great. 
  • The screen is very nice and bright.  It looks great.
  • Sounds are good too.
  • You can also use it as a media device.  Music and video files play fine.
  • It has a camera.  Have not tried it.
  • The case design is a blatant rip-off of the PSP (see my pic below).  
  • It's very lightweight and feels a little cheap.  Very similar to the 2600 flashback portable.
  • Mine may (or may not) be defective -- It's been charging for about an hour but won't turn on without it being plugged in.  I'll let it charge overnight and see if that's what it needs.
  • Documentation?  Not a single word.  You're on your own figuring this thing out.

Assuming the battery works, I think this thing is really cool.  My plan is to load up a ton of NES and GBA roms and take it with me on the go.  There are some GREAT games for those systems.

Picture below is the MP5 unit on top (in blue) and a real PSP on the bottom. 

I was working at a reverse logistics firm testing and repairing electronics, mainly laptops and gaming systems. These and others like it came in ALL the time. Neat little deals. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

The battery is fine. It turns out, to turn on the system (without a charger attached), you turn on the power switch AND hold down one of the tiny buttons on the face. Did I mention no documentation at all?

I'm going to do more testing in the evenings. I want to try some Genesis ROMS to see if those work too.
  • greenween and Arenafoot like this

#9 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Any luck with Genesis roms Rick? My Sega portable arrived today, but it seems the roms need to be .bin  files and all mine are .smd files so I'm not having any luck.

#10 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

I haven't tried yet.  Sorry.  I'll get to it soon though. 

• greenween likes this

#11 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

I think I'm going to order one of those just for the NES. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

#12 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

The NES emulation is flawless to my untrained eye.  I'm too busy with work, but will try the Genesis as soon as I have a spare 30 minutes. 

• greenween likes this

#13 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

A special update just for Greenween.

I tried the Genesis emulation.  SMD = Sega Mega Drive (duh).  So it should work.  I put 2 SMD files on the unit.  Altered Beast worked great.  Double Dragon did not work.  So with that limited sample, I'd say it's going to be hit and miss.  Still, Altered Beast worked perfectly for my standards.  It's possible my SMD file for Double Dragon is just bad.  I'll try more as time permits. 

I say for $26, the NES, GBA, and Genesis capabilities of this item are a great bargain -- even if there are some games that end up not working.  Also of note is that the screen is really bright and nice. 

#14 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

And wait...there's more:

I loaded about a dozen SMD files for Genesis and they ALL work fine except for Double Dragon. 

I also loaded a few SNES ROMS, and guess what?  They work too!  SNES is a little bit choppy.  But still....very cool. 

#15 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Yo Rick! I ordered one of these a few days ago, looks very cool for NES and hopefully some Master System games. I finally figured this Sega Portable out today. I put about 100 roms on it today and they play great!! Sound is a bit weak but not terrible, the graphics are near perfect, highly recommended.

• RickR likes this

#16 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

I saw the Sega portable at Target and almost bought it. 

• greenween likes this

#17 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

For the price, this doesn't seem to be a bad deal.  It's also not the first rip off of the PSP design.  I've seen similar units sold in Amazon that are pretty much identical in looks to the PSP. 

• greenween likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#18 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

Mine arrived today. These things keep selling out quickly. They only post 15 at a time. It said it would arrive in an epacket but came in a legit box, everything sealed, manual, ear buds and usb hook up. Love it so far. It comes with about 100 games, mostly GBA. I loaded all my NES roms and they seem to work great, which is really the only reason I bought it. I had the same issue with realizing you had to hold down start to get it to boot up. So far it's a great purchase for $25+ free shipping!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6586.JPG
  • IMG_6584.JPG
  • IMG_6587.JPG

Edited by greenween, 25 April 2017 - 11:01 PM.

• RickR, Arenafoot and TrekMD like this

#19 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

Hey Rick!! The Sega Portable is great!

• RickR likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users