Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

new addition to my collection! A Vectrex!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Zontar

Zontar

Thing From Venus

• 98 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

Vectrex is awesome.  I really like the controller.  They pretty much invented the gamepad with that thing.  A small stick and 4 buttons.  Pretty cool. 

That's a really good point. Not a lot gets said about Vectrex but their controller nearly nailed it. What a cool machine, so different from everything else. The games were great and they deserve  a lot of credit for making great stuff that was better than the industry leader.

• RickR and Arenafoot like this

#22 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

That's a really good point. Not a lot gets said about Vectrex but their controller nearly nailed it. What a cool machine, so different from everything else. The games were great and they deserve  a lot of credit for making great stuff that was better than the industry leader.

From what I heard back then in 1982-1983, was that Atari was putting it to retailers, "either you carry Atari OR you carry GCE Vectrex!". They couldn't carry both and by this point Atari was too popular and that is what pretty much killed GCE. Damn shame!

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users