Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Blasteroids: The Unloved?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Everyone i know has a favourite version of Asteriods, people talk about the various home conversions, more modern updates like Amiga Star Dust, PS1 Asteriods, Super Star Dust on PSP, PS3 etc....

But i never hear anything on Blasteroids.

No home console conversions i'm aware of, just the Home Micro versions.

Is it really that obscure/unloved?.

https://www.arcade-m...hp?game_id=7146

http://www.google.co...EFqKbWXQ7WhPkGw

Attached Thumbnails

• ace0900016.jpg
  • ace0900017.jpg
  • ace19000035.jpg
  • ace2000056.jpg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 19 April 2017 - 06:47 PM.

• Justin and TeddyGermany like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

UK Press seemed to like it.

Attached Thumbnails

• cvg8900001.jpg
  • cvg8900016.jpg
  • cvg8900017.jpg
  • cvg8900019.jpg
  • cvg8900020.jpg

• TeddyGermany likes this

#3 AtariHero

AtariHero

Strawberry Member

• 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

It isn't terribly common although I do see one pop-up for sale once in a blue moon. I wouldn't mind grabbing one to replace my aging Asteroids Deluxe since it is becoming absurdly expensive to keep the vector monitors maintained these days. 

I have never played it though to be completely honest so I'm not sure why it doesn't receive a lot of love. It seems like they improved on the original formula in every way; using spinners for rotating the ship was a clever idea, at least on paper.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:03 AM

I know the Music industry often talks of '...That difficult 3rd Album', but it seems the Coin-Op industry has been blighted by the same..

Midway's Strike Force...AKA Defender 3

Operation Wolf 3-No connection with 2 previous games, used digitised graphics etc...

It seems the Coin -Ops were not widely distributed and thus not picked up to be ported to any home systems.

With Blasteroids, at least that did get a chance to be played in the home.

But most curious how after some big instalments, coin-ops just seemed to fizzle out by time of a 3rd...

Hope you do find a cheap enough cabinet.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 19 April 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#5 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Hard to say. I think, it was outshined by other titles in its days. There were many scrolling shooters in that time with a higher appeal. Ok, you would disagree and bring the success of Arkanoid as an counterexample. And you're right.
Translations to popular consoles weren't made. Amiga, ST and the 8Bit-Computers weren't popular in Japan and the USA. In 1989 the time wasn't right for Retro and (BL)Asteroids was seen as old fashioned.
There weren't many mentions in german magazines.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#6 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

I know the Music industry often talks of '...That difficult 3rd Album', but it seems the Coin-Op industry has been blighted by the same..

Except in the case of Asteroids, the 3rd game would be Space Duel :)

• Lost Dragon likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

Good Call Scott :)

I think i tend to over look Space Duel as if memory serves, your shooting:Cubes, Diamonds and Pinwheels...so for myself i find it hard to class as an Asteriods game... :rofl:

So, i shall refer to Blasteroids as:The Come Back Album...

And Wowah Teddy so this wasn't even a Europe thing, it just seems to have something of a cult UK following?.

Yikes, i feel i've suggested a future RetroGamer Magazine feature with this one then...

:rofl:

Attached Thumbnails

• cvg8800019.jpg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 19 April 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#8 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

It seems so. I took a look on kultboy.com and mobygames.com. Only few (and modest) gametests for Amiga/ST/C64 and Arcade. Very few commercials and no further articles. Obscure in Germany. UK had the better taste.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

Reasons I should never post whilst tired :-))

It's Blasteroids..

I've spelt it wrong the entire time :-))

Just corrected.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 19 April 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

Until I created this thread, I honestly had no idea the game was as obscure as it is.

I think the UK scene existed in it's own little bubble to such a degree, it's little wonder people outside struggle to see why we didn't take to the NES and why the Atari Sherrif Dept... Have so little info or concept of the UK Atari scene over the years.

#11 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

I've owned several of each coin-op (Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, Blasteroids) over the years, and Blasteroids are the lowest in re-sale value, yet are probably the hardest to find.  I like them all, but Blasteroids is my least-fav, only because there's a definite ending to the game.

• Lost Dragon and TeddyGermany like this

#12 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

Even the coin-op? Now i'm really surprised! :o

• Lost Dragon likes this

#13 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

More UK Love :)

Attached Thumbnails

• zzap480001.jpg
  • zzap480014.jpg
  • zzap480015.jpg

#14 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

Your flat must be full of magazines. Where do you sleep?

• Lost Dragon likes this

#15 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

You should of seen THE COLLECTION when it was at it's peak :) I had:ACE, Zero, Mean Machines, Edge, SFI-FI Now, Dreamwatch, Empire, Fortean Times, TGM,The One, Raze, C.U, Raze, Games-X, Games Zone, C+VG, GO!Gamesworld, Atari User, Official Playstation, Xbox, Dreamcast, DC-UK, Xbox Gamer, Playstation Plus, Official sega Magazine, Gamestm etc etc.

I was sat there thinking they had historical value in terms of the news stories, interviews etc so just stored them all in spare room. It was once i started getting involved with helping the Lost games sites like GTW, Unseen64, initally just passing over reports etc for them to follow up, i started to question what was being said, by supposed proffesional writers.....

Then once i started contacting people from the industry, putting magazine claims to them and finding out claims they were working on, were utter, utter fabrications, i started to see the REAL picture, but it was when a magazine had claimed they had said X,Y and Z on interviews or soundbites or had seen this, that and the other RUNNING at trade shows or passed off known mock-up shots as actual in-game, i realised the true value of UK reporting :) So the great purges begain, espically since i was moving from place to place.

Nobody wanted to buy them, you'd see Mags sell for pennies, postage a nightmare, people kept saying can you break your collection up, i need issue...# So i gave away individual issues, sent pages of interest to Unseen 64 over 2 huge parcels, so they could scan and archive them, everything else went to recycling over a period of months.

These scans? just been sat on a HDD for couple of years, had a lot of scans on DVD i loaned a certain person on RVG for benifit of the site, scans started going up alright, but as HIS findings....Had to correct that. Then we found he'd copied entire lot inc covers over for personal use (DVD's cost me £5 a shot) so Mort, guy who produces them wasn't happy so that was that. This is why i now freely share anything of even the slightest interest, asking certain others to do it, just didn't work out at all.

I now have very few PHYSICAL items be it games, mags, collectable figures etc, just not into material items in any way, shape or form, where as years ago, collecting bug hit me bad.

#16 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

That is crazy, but i like it.
My flat still is full of mags, hardware and software. "Do you want to build a spacestation?" was the funniest question, i have heard.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

I have a degree of OCD and everytime i moved house, i was just carting box after box of magazines around, then finding somewhere just to store the bloody things.

It then reached the point of WTF am i doing? WHY am i keeping these?

So it really was a case of F**K it, lets get this sorted.Went through, box/cupboard at a time, who can use what from this? so info passed onto GTW originally for archives on Lost C64 games..then Unseen64 and where a magazine article was missing from site, out the pages came, into a box.

I had the Jaguar/Jeff Minter stuff scanned along with PS1 AVP screens (than fecl i never lent these to RVG's then resident parasite), got that info out into community, few folks wanted misc issues of RG to complete collections, off they went, another wanted anything with C16 coverage..off they went, but 99% ended up in recyling.

I had to space it out over months even though where i was living, collection was every week, as there were so many magazine.

Felt soooo good to get shot of them though.

Only kept back a few choice issues of things like Gamezone magazine etc.

Games went to good folk on here, charity shops etc.

Far better homes than another storage area at my end :)

#18 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

More UK Coverage :)

Attached Thumbnails

• theone06000001.jpg
  • theone06000024.jpg
  • theone06000025.jpg
  • theone06000026.jpg

#19 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Blasteroids was pretty popular during the arcade end-game times here in the Northern mid-West, USA. I myself must have dumped $30 bucks into it.

• Justin, Lost Dragon and TeddyGermany like this

#20 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 174 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

Good to hear that! And congrats on your excellent taste!

• Lost Dragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users