Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari Comics Have Started

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 430 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

The Atari comics haves started apparently with little fan fare so far, though this is just issue #0 of their Swordquest series (not the original comics, new and original story). It looks as if The next issue of this will be out next month. Then Centipede starts in July. Here's the cover of the Swordquest comic I got today. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0916.JPG

• Justin, RickR and Gemini Gamer like this

young Atari lover

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

How is it?
  • leolinden likes this

#3 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 430 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

How is it?

It's pretty good, it's about some guy who played Atari as a kid who has like 6 months to live or something and I'm guessing he is going to try to find the sword from the tournament or something like that or at least that's what it's building up in issue 1. Idk if they actually are in a fantasy world at all in it.We'll have to see. The Centipede one is supposed to be like Sci-fi horror.

• RickR likes this

young Atari lover

#4 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 430 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Here's the official description 

"The Atari Age returns to comics with the most unexpected story of the year: SwordQuest! In 1984, Peter Case was on his way to being crowned champion of SwordQuest, set to win the last of four contests and lay claim to a golden sword worth over $50,000! But when the game was discontinued, Peter found himself without a game to finish. Now, over thirty years later, Peter's stuck in a different kind of game entirely -- the game of life, and he's losing fast. But when he learns that all the prizes meant for the SwordQuest contest of his youth are on display in the World Arcade Museum, he finds an unknown determination that sees him put together a team of like-minded losers for the ultimate heist job -- a real-life sword quest! The red-hot team of Chris Sims, Chad Bowers, and Ghostwriter X (Down Set Fight) have a new game -- and the stakes have never been higher!"

young Atari lover

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

I'll have to see if I can find them.  Comic book stores can be a little intimidating for those with not much knowledge on the subject. 

• leolinden likes this

#6 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

I have then on order.  Waiting for mine to arrive.  I actually requested all the covers.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#7 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

This is a dream come true to me. I hope they are good and that they did a nice job with them. I'm not going to nit-pick. If they came up with a good story, and they made a heartfelt attempt to stay true to the aura of Atari then I will be quite happy  ^_^

• MaximumRD and Gemini Gamer like this

#8 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

For those who may not know, they are also rereleasing the original comics that were packaged with the games.  

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:23 AM

I have then on order.  Waiting for mine to arrive.  I actually requested all the covers.

Do you have a link for where to purchase? 

#10 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

I order through a service called Mile High Comics but you can get them from a local comic book store.  I also believe Amazon will have them.

• RickR likes this

#11 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,555 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Last I checked, you can download the kindle version for free at amazon.

• RickR likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#12 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Last I checked, you can download the kindle version for free at amazon.

Confirmed.  Free is a nice price.  Thanks NSG!

• nosweargamer likes this

#13 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

That is cool.  I'll check that out!

• Gemini Gamer likes this

#14 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 112 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

I don't read comic books much anymore, but I'd love to get these!

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

https://www.youtube....VpbqFDcewhi_aqA

#15 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,253 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

After checking all the comic shops around me i have come up empty handed. Either the shop didnt buy any or 1 person came in and bought them all

#16 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 357 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

Have you checked in Amazon?  You may be able to get them there.  Otherwise, try Mile High Comics.  That's where I get mine from.  

• The Professor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users