WANTED: Feedback for Scramble for Atari 7800

dauber

I'm looking for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Scramble? This game will be covered on Episode 11.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, May 17. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Well, I just realized I'm late for this one but here is my feedback:

When it comes to side scrolling shooters, Scramble is among the best of the best.  Released to the arcades in 1982, Scramble quickly became a success but it saw a handful of ports to home systems (one of these was to the Vectrex).  Thankfully, prolific 7800 programmer decided to bring this classic to the console and we have to consider ourselves lucky.  In Scramble the player controls an aircraft that travels though a terrain that is constantly scrolling in order to destroy as many alien enemies as possible.  The ship is equipped with a forward gun and bombs for its offensive action but it also comes with a limited fuel supply.  This means that the player has to keep an eye out for fuel depots on the ground to make sure the ship remains properly fueled.  The game has six different stages through which the player must advance, with the final stage being the actual alien base.  Each of the stages is different from the other with new challenges that must be faced.  Bob masterfully ported this game to the 7800, bringing the arcade experience home.  The game has beautiful graphics that are very close to the arcade even if the colors appear muted by comparision.  The sounds are also well done, which is a good thing.  This version has three levels of difficulty to choose from (Easy, Normal, Hard), with the Normal difficulty being a match for Konami’s arcade version and Hard a match for Stern’s arcade version.  Overall, Scramble is an excellent port of the arcade and one I can highly recommend to owners of the 7800.

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Well, imagine my surprise when I heard two places mentioned in the podcast in relation to the bootleg Scramble machines from Omni:  Tulsa and Oral Roberts University!  I went to college at ORU and I vividly remember the arcade room we had there.  The Scramble machines were removed before I was there, though.  I didn't get to ORU until 1985.  I do recognize the two dorm towers in the picture in the show notes. :)

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...