Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Is Panther (Mastertronic) Overrated by the Atari Community?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

Just a 'Throwing it out there' type topic :)

Over the years i've always had a soft spot for Mastertronic's Panther, 1st owning on the Atari 800XL then the C64...and what's not to love?.

It's a very solid, Isometric slant on Choplifter, has a fantastic David Whittaker soundtrack (SID tune just edges out Pokey in my view)..and Chuck peavey did a fantastic job with the limited PMG avaiable on the A8 i thought, but the C64 version whilst nothing special, is indeed the better looking.

Game recieved solid enough scores on C64 with ZZap 64 and A8 on Atarimania..but i've always been amazed Chuck Peavey's comments about it's creation on A8 cropped up numerous times in RetroGamer magazine, plus independent Atari publications (think at least 2, if not more have featured him talking on it..)

And it scored a whopping 10/10 in Atari Gamer magazine..with comment it was so good, it made other 8bit computer owners jealous..erm, really? it's far better on A8 than the ZX Spectrum version, but it didn't make me as an owner of the A8 and C64 versions feel so strongly.

Atari Games Press here at the time were like Zzap64 at review, game was solid, i did LMAO at reviewers comment about your craft looking like a squashed Strawberry...

Vids of C64 VS A8 versions...

http://www.google.co...zAxRbNbfyK2iohw

http://www.google.co...7FZp-bsSIjJQfBw

C64 Review:

http://www.zzap64.co...zap&check=1

Attached Thumbnails

• atariuser35038.jpg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 09 May 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• Justin and Rowsdower70 like this

#2 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

Just a 'Throwing it out there' type topic :)

Over the years i've always had a soft spot for Mastertronic's Panther, 1st owning on the Atari 800XL then the C64...and what's not to love?.

It's a very solid, Isometric slant on Choplifter, has a fantastic David Whittaker soundtrack (SID tune just edges out Pokey in my view)..and Chuck peavey did a fantastic job with the limited PMG avaiable on the A8 i thought, but the C64 version whilst nothing special, is indeed the better looking.

Game recieved solid enough scores on C64 with ZZap 64 and A8 on Atarimania..but i've always been amazed Chuck Peavey's comments about it's creation on A8 cropped up numerous times in RetroGamer magazine, plus independent Atari publications (think at least 2, if not more have featured him talking on it..)

And it scored a whopping 10/10 in Atari Gamer magazine..with comment it was so good, it made other 8bit computer owners jealous..erm, really? it's far better on A8 than the ZX Spectrum version, but it didn't make me as an owner of the A8 and C64 versions feel so strongly.

Atari Games Press here at the time were like Zzap64 at review, game was solid, i did LMAO at reviewers comment about your craft looking like a squashed Strawberry...

Vids of C64 VS A8 versions...

http://www.google.co...zAxRbNbfyK2iohw

http://www.google.co...7FZp-bsSIjJQfBw

C64 Review:

http://www.zzap64.co...zap&check=1

the graphics, the music, the game play are perfect for your imagination. that is why i like 8-bit 2-d games the most, they allow you to use your imagination.

the first level is awesome, but the second level, is almost impossible for me to attain. its very very hard. to hard. but atari was really impressed with it. i have three different versions of it on cart. two are cracked versions, so atari must have been hunting BBS'S back then, or someone sent them cracked disks.

but one version looks identical to the mastertronic release. i knew a couple of mastertronic guys back then, they told me atari was interested in some of the games.

i used to talk top matt trimby of crystal raiders/twilight world/slingshot fame, he told me mastertronics gave programmers like him, a shot in the software world.

its to bad they stopped supporting atari, but of course they could not change jacks business culture, no one could.

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Crystal Raiders now there is a game for future disscussion :)

Great post my friend.

#4 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Crystal Raiders now there is a game for future disscussion :)

Great post my friend.

yes its a great game. it was one of the games atari was looking at. matt gave me permission to publish all three of his games, evidentially atari was looking at all three of his games . every once in a while matt appears out of no where, and asks me for a cart or two of his games. its been a while though since i last heard from him.

crystal raiders would have made a great game for the XEGS, at the time, the simultaneous two player games were all the rage on the NES. atari only had dark chambers, good game, but like every thing jack t. atari, no one knew what it was.

thanks.

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Couple of reviews from Page 6/New atari user and yet again no-one seems as impressed by the visuals as that RG Staff writer/AtariGamer Magazine reviewer.....

Attached Thumbnails

• NewAtariUser05300015.jpg
  • NewAtariUser05500042_1.jpg

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

@Video 61:I think maybe Crystal raider was too niche here in the UK and even at budget price didn't fare too well with some reviewers..a mere 54% from Computer gamer Magazine at review.

It's very much appreciated by Atari fans..score of 7.1 on Atarimania, but i doubt it would of ever been considered for a cart release...sadly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users