Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

TVG: In-Depth look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, Defender and Scramble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Not familar with Raiders myself.

2600 Defender i always feel gets unfairly treated, loved it myself, so nice to see a UK mag give it a bit more credit than the recent Retro Gamer 2600 Minority Report gave it...never been a fan of this 'sweeping statement' stance RG Magazine so often takes claiming a game was 'Universally Panned' (ie Tiertex Strider II, VCS Defender) or 'Universally Praised' (C64 Thunderblade) as it fails to take into account a balanced look at the UK reviews.

And there must be some Vectrex fans on here.

Only owned 1 myself for short period of time, when i started buying systems i'd never owned, but a fantastic system.

Attached Thumbnails

• tvgamer0584034.jpg
  • tvgamer0584035.jpg
  • tvgamer0584036.jpg
  • tvgamer0584037.jpg
  • tvgamer0584038.jpg
  • tvgamer0584052.jpg
  • tvgamer0584053.jpg
  • tvgamer0584064.jpg
  • tvgamer0584057.jpg
  • tvgamer0584058.jpg

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Raiders made a splash then...

Attached Thumbnails

• tvgamer0484042.jpg
  • tvgamer0484043.jpg
  • tvgamer0484044.jpg
  • tvgamer0484045.jpg

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

I spent a lot of time with Raiders on Atari.   With no help at all, we managed to figure it out.  (Well, we read instructions)

One of the reasons I didn't hate E.T. was because it was somewhat similar to Raiders.   Underrated game in my opinion. 

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

It does appear the RG 2600 Minority Report ahem..'writer', really was out of touch with UK reviewers of 2600 Defender at the time, as they at least could accept the comprimises made when converting the coin op to 2600.

C+VG were another, they made clear that whilst graphically it wasn't anywhere near as impressive and changes had been made-skyline replacing Earth's surface, your foes looked different and the detraction this sometimes had..(it was possible for your craft to sink behind the skyline, making it hard to judge your position on-screen at times)...they praised the attempt to capture the gameplay...

The fact the controls were far more approachable than the coin-op's...

and attempts made to replicate the attack waves etc.

They felt atari had a winner on their hands with 2600 Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users