Video Game Series You Want To Return

What video game series would you like to see come back that haven't had new, official game in years?

You can see my top four choices in the video below.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I had a great time with Duke Nukem 3D, as it added some nice touches to the interstices of my gaming time on Doom wads filling my monitor with cool but somewhat repetitive 2D hellscapes.

I looked up this series as I knew a new one had come out recently, and was surprised to find that 13 DN titles exists!

So technically, the series is as alive as it's ever been.

Although the poor ratings for most of these (and the jump from one platform to the next) ensured obscurity in the long run.

As for series additions, I'd be curious to see what could be done today with Dragon's Lair, or its conceptual Don Bluth style of storytelling.

Even though I never mastered it (one you'd seen someone do a full playthrough at the arcade, you got your reward anyway) it's a cool approach to gaming.

You could say Telltale Games took it to the next level, though, with actual episodic adventures from favorite franchises filled with dialogue branches and action set-pieces in a FMV setting.

I'd also love to see TRON get continuous gaming support love and title releases on a regular basis.

My comments from YouTube

The Dunjonquest series would be my first pick. The Apshai games were legendary and there hasn't been a game for them since 1985. My next pick would be the Alternate Reality series. Another abandoned, very innovative RPG series. Third would be Ogre Battle. Why that one got abandoned after Tactics Ogre is beyond me. Lastly, there's no excuse for Nintendo to have abandoned Kid Icarus. Such a fun, short lived series.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I'd also love to see TRON get continuous gaming support love and title releases on a regular basis.

They make Tron games periodically, but the quality isn't the greatest.  Tron 2.0 was pretty remarkable, but TronRunner ....not my cup o tea.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

One series I would love see get a either a modern remake or a continuation is the Streets of Rage series.  I loved Blaze in that series and the modern gaming community needs a simple, all out, arcade-style brawler.  Nothing first-person...keep it the same side-scrolling action we all know and love.  Use modern technology to layer the side scrolling environment with a 3D depth.

Tempest.

That TxK was blocked from being ported to the PS4/Rift/Android was tragic.  I would have loved to experience a modern Tempest successor, and especially in VR.  TxK seems to look and sound just as amazing as the existing games in the series, but... I won't be able to play it until I'm able to pick up a Vita, and that's a fairly low priority for me.  It's a shame.  Just picture a new, evolved, polished Tempest game in 4k HD resolution, 60+fps video...

Oh, so true about Tempest!

A VR experience in that frenzied 'comin at'ya!'style would be terrific.

I remember the Battlezone periscope as my first VR experience.

And it would still hold up today in its original vector format.

PS VR has a version of it - all colorful and busy.

I dunno, I'll reserve judgement for when I try it out.

And indeed, Row, TRON has had a steady trickle of follow-up games throughout the years.

Maybe the shortened quick-play games aren't eneough for me, and the long-form XBox and PS3 ones...I just haven't played them enough, as the initial neat design wasn't followed by immersive, TRON-inspired gameplay.

Or maybe I have to jump back into it after a rewatch of the movies and TV series.

I still like that arcade port on XBox 360, but I miss the original controllers.

I agree with Tempest.  Good game that needs to continue on.  But I don't think Atari would allow for it as they have already tried to stop it.  

I would have liked to see a Gradius game make it to the Jaguar.  Gradius and Life Force/Salamander were some of my favorite shoot 'em ups on the NES so a home brew port of those games on the Jaguar would be nice.  

And, before anyone else asks, "Why the Jaguar?", because the console has little appreciation in the video game world...but it is a system that is well capable of so much more than it seen during production.  So to see all that feline-power go to waste is a shame. To see ports of favorite games from Konami, Capcom, Sunsoft, Microprose, and other developers would be oh so sweet!

Edited by kamakazi20012

How about King's Quest...which at times really tried to push the gaming and technology envelope.  I think they stopped at #8....but I think it's been a while since a new one was released. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Quest_(2015_video_game)

It lives!

I also want to concur with Tempest. I've been pushing different people behind the scened for many years to get a good Tempest on the 7800 and I keep hearing a lot of talk about how hard it would be to do, but nothing is insurmountable. I was told the same thing about building this site and yet here we are. Tempest is one of my favorite games of all time and it still holds its play value. I'd love to see it make a comeback. I thought it was about to, until "Atari" knocked the wind out of Jeff Minter instead of working out a licensing deal.

I'll also offer up Swordquest for an "Honorable Mention" in this thread. I did not enjoy the original Swordquest games. But I sure wanted to like them. With the new Swordquest comic books coming out I think it could be a video game series primed to return. If done properly it could be Atari's Zelda. That's a big "if" though...

A few off the top of my head...

StarTropics, which only had two games on the NES, and then never returned. I think a third one could be fun.

Ristar, which only ever got one title on the Genesis. A really interesting character. He deserves another game.

Skies of Arcadia, because SKY PIRATES. I'd love to see a new one.

Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger. Two of the greatest RPGs ever made. There needs to be a third.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

StarTropics, which only had two games on the NES, and then never returned. I think a third one could be fun.

Star Tropics is a GREAT one!! I can't believe I forgot Star Tropics. I remember playing it for the first time and it reminded me of the one thing I liked about SwordQuest, that there were clues hidden in the instruction manual or the "letter" from your uncle that was included in box. Dip it in water and a clue appears. It was a fun game, I'd love to see a modern equivalent. 

going wayyyy back for this one........ how about a new one of Phantasmagoria?

post-52-0-11379900-1496195616.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Ristar, which only ever got one title on the Genesis. A really interesting character. He deserves another game.

Skies of Arcadia, because SKY PIRATES. I'd love to see a new one.

Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger. Two of the greatest RPGs ever made. There needs to be a third.

Oh man...you just had to mention Skies of Arcadia didn't you ;)  Very well done Dreamcast game that no one should miss.  Very much original.  Sega was masters at unique game play that kept arcade-quality controls.  Easy to pick up and play, very hard to put down.  It did make it to the GameCube, though.  

On that note, I'd really like to see Shenmue get finished...and only on the console it originally started on.  I would love to have seen Shenmue II get a Dreamcast release in the States.  I tried to play it with burned ISOs of a port from another part of the globe but the audio was horrible.  And my most loved feature of the game series was its music and story.  

Let's see...any more.  I could list a bunch but my concept of them would be to go back to their original release, keep all of the original game play aspects and mechanics (no extra bells or whistles the originals didn't have), update the graphics to meet the abilities of modern consoles and computers, keep the original soundtracks but reworked with more realistic or actual instruments.  The ones I would pick?  That's easy!  F-Zero (SNES), Top Gear (SNES), Earth Defense Force (SNES), D (Saturn), Astal (Saturn), Gyruss (Arcade), Blaster Master (NES).  Sega needs to make another OutRun like they did for the PS2 and XBOX.  After Burner and Space Harrier as well.  

Some really solid choices in the previous posts! 

Here are a few series I'd want to return off the top of my head:

Joust - Joust 2 never received a home port, and I've never seen or played it in the arcade.  Regardless I'm all in for another Joust game.  Four player action if possible?

Battletoads - Enjoyed this game back in the day on my NES (thank you Game Genie!). The last Battletoads game i played was at the local arcade.  So much fun!  Spent way too many quarters on this one.

Mutant League - I really enjoyed Mutant League Football on my Sega Genesis (Mutant League Hockey was a bit lacking but passable when playing with a friend).  I'd like to see this series rebooted and maybe a few more sports added to the line - sign me up for a Mutant League Baseball game.

I'm on Instagram! @AtariToday