Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Universe by Omnitrend Software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

Guys...

I'm looking to you to assist me here, i'd previousily never heard of the supposed Ultimate Space Trader Game (According to Computer Gamer Magazine, in their A8 mini-review) and no wonder judging by the RRP...

£89.95 and spanning 5 Disks...that's EPIC.

So, are there any Universe fans on here?

In the UK we had likes of Elite, F.O.F.T, Empire, PSi-5 Trading Company, Space Rogue etc, but i've never seen the game covered by likes of RetroGamer magazine (though i partly suspect that might change, lol):

Game seems well liked:

http://www.atarimani...verse_5617.html

Plenty of extra info scattered around online:

http://atari8bitads....s-universe.html

https://www.gamefaqs...erse/faqs/58365

But i'd love to hear thoughts from the community on here...should this be used as a showcase A8 game for those wanting real depth and can it make up for Elite never arriving on the A8?

Video footage for those like myself who've never seen it:

http://www.google.co...rIu71PG6L458Kbw

• Greyfox likes this

#2 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

It also appeared on the IBM PC some 4 years later

to which this would have being during the Atari ST and Amiga times, wonder why it didn't show up on these platforms? or did it?

It, in fact, did appear in sequel form, Universe 2 in 1986 pre-dating this PC version of the first game

Universe 2 (Sequel to the A8 version)

http://www.atarimani...e-ii_10749.html

Universe 3 in 1989 (Again the same company behind the original which actually licenced it to "Impressions" to a European release, suggesting that Universe remained in the United States throughout its time?

http://www.atarimani...-iii_10750.html

hope this helps :)

& 3

• Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

That is bloody superb info Greyfox, exactly sort of thing i was after.

Now the BIGGEST question still remains...Just WHY has this series not been covered by likes of RetroGamer Magazine in all these years?

Surely it'd be the ideal material..

Cross platform...

In a key genre, yet where as all the other Elite contenders are always brought up, this never gets a mention...

Retro...

And pretty much undiscovered ground by so many here in UK i'd wager.

If your going to do mere 'filler' articles like generic MSX coverage to fill a few pages, surely an in-depth feature on the Universe games deserves to be done?

I guess the games aren't sexy/high profile enough to warrant the coverage..but is the point of a magazine, not to educate and showcase whats been over looked?

Edited by Lost Dragon, 29 May 2017 - 08:10 AM.

• Greyfox likes this

#4 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

I'm sure there is so much out there yet to be looked at, I'm sure we could write a list as long as your arm, but why do that and help the uneducated article fishers and give them the scope to make earnings off the back our research? I'm truly all for the community I really am in sharing content, but when it's being leeched by substandard same ole same ole type article writing, I'd rather let them make fools out of themselves by themselves :)

Edited by Greyfox, 29 May 2017 - 08:20 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

The same old faces been basically stealing other people's finds, research, images etc and passing it off as their own for as long as I can remember..

I've lost count of amount of images lifted from Commercial Amiga magazines, Amiga websites etc and not been credited in various UK publications..

Forum posts from European posters used,uncredited in supposed definite guides to Lost Atari Games..

I don't expect any of this to change anytime soon...

I think those of us who put the time in to bring what info we can to the greater Retro community know only too well it'll be copied, pasted and more than likely used by someone for paid for work..and we will never be credited.

At very least we've done the research for others, given them the ideas, names etc to look into themselves..so they can pitch articles, do follow up interviews etc and say all my own work..

Thing is Greyfox, i like to think it becomes a simple choice..

You either carry on doing what you feel the greater community deserves to see and get discussion going and folks playing games they might otherwise of missed..

knowing damn well your material runs risk of being used..

Or you stop doing it for fear of the above..

I've never been 1 to give into fear, bullying, sticks or stones type slurs...

So here i am..

:-)
  • Greyfox likes this

#6 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

Just to let you the Antic Podcast is set to interview the creator of this game on June 16th's show, a Mr. William Leslie the person behind OmniTrend.

So if interested? listen out for that :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users