awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Defender
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty B

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30th, 2017

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 1st through June 30th, 2017. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty Switch set to B

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Defender.binDefender.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

As weird as this seems, this game gets me a bit motion sick if I play it too long. I did three or four rounds and started feeling dizzy, like I do if I play a first person shooter. I think its all the shifting back and forth when you change direction; it messes with my head. Anyway, here's my score so far:

XBNXRuEh.jpg

I'm with Ferg; I was a lot better at this one when I was younger. It was one of my favorites until I got a copy of Defender II/Stargate, then I played that more.

I'm not a big fan of most Defender style games and the flickering seems to bother me more today than when I was a kid, but I did want to take part in the Challenge, so here's my sole submission:

post-303-0-16604000-1497702716.png

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube