Atari Box

TrekMD

I'm guessing inside either box is a healthy dose of disappointment.   

Much ado about nothing, like Sega sending out cryptic mix cassettes to hype the fact that they want to sell mobile apps.  

It has people talking for now,  but I have a feeling it will have people laughing in two weeks.

Please let me be wrong, but Atari at this point seems almost incapable of doing the right thing.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I am sure you have probably seen them by now, but I am going to post these pictures anyway.

Behold the Ataribox:

post-147-0-09973400-1500300964_thumb.jpg

post-147-0-34534800-1500301467_thumb.jpg

post-147-0-11910700-1500301603_thumb.jpg

post-147-0-57976600-1500301833_thumb.jpg

It does look, even without the woodgrain, like a sleek, modern-looking A2600 case. It is even elevated on the top. The black/red design reminds me of the Vader A2600. It is definitely impressive-looking, cosmetically speaking. I hope it performs as well as it looks. Thanks. :)

Edited by DegasElite

To tell you the truth, I do not favor the dedicated consoles, like the Flashbacks and other systems, that use emulation to play games. To an extent, I want to see game systems using real, RISC-based hardware with dedicated co-processors that give those systems some power. I like the idea of downloadable content for gaming (it is the trend nowadays; after all, this is the twenty-first century), but I think that newer game systems should somewhat stray away from optical media in favor of more flash-based and secure digital media. These solutions are not only more durable, but hold more content. This means larger games to play with bigger worlds to explore. At least, that is the plausible theory anyway. I think, though, that in some instances games have graphically advanced too far. They look too realistic. I believe that the over-realism can cause some sacrifice in gameplay. Too much processing power can go to the graphics. I like retro gaming. I like some realism, too. But, I think that there should some balance at the same time as well. That's my take on the modern gaming scene. It's excellent, don't get me wrong. But, I think it could be even better. Thanks again for letting me share. :)

Edited by DegasElite

In a post on FB, Atari said that there will be 2 editions, 2 boxes and details will be revealed in 2 weeks. They also indicated in the comments that they are calling the project "Atari Box" but that wouldn't be the name of the product. Mark your calendars folks,

https://www.facebook.com/atariboxofficial/posts/326047647833158

Oh. OK. I am glad of that fact. "Ataribox" sounds tacky to me anyway.  :)

Edited by DegasElite

My expectations on this have been and remain very low since the first mention of "Ataribox". At best I expect some type of Android emulation box, at worst well....Coleco Chameleon anyone? Been burned too many times with promises, hype and fancy rendered images, I wait until something people can get their hands on before I allow any excitement to build.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

At least it has that super SEXY '70s Woodgrain.

Well THE RENDERED images do at least, nothing actually exists at this time. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I am not exactly sure what I think about the "AtariBox" at this moment.  I mean that design does not interest me at all and in some ways looks rushed.  I would have rather had another wedge design in a similar fashion to the 5200 or 7800.  I could have seen and accepted a gloss black and silver plate or some other kind of silver trim maybe outlining an edge but the current design doesn't appeal to me at the moment.  

So...for me...in order for the AtariBox to completely suck me in I will need to see what the hardware is capable of and what games are going to be available for it.  What I don't want is games built-in.  Let it come with one or two games, maybe a code for one game of the consumer's choice, but I don't want a lot of games I either already got or in a genre I won't want to play.  That reason alone is the only reason I am not looking forward to the SNES Mini coming out in September.  It has lots of good games, sure, but not a one of them is a shoot 'em up that I enjoyed playing on that system.  

Just noticed this very moment, on the ATARIBOX website after the promotional video plays the thumbnails for related Ataribox videos ;) THIS SHIT WRITES ITSELF !

post-15-0-76497700-1502905127_thumb.jpg

- M. Bison

As much as I know that this Atari is not the Atari we grew up with I really hope they are not shooting themselves in the foot with AtariBox.  I do wonder if the system is Linux based or not.  A proprietary OS doesn't seem possible because not many developers in the gaming industry are doing such things these days.  There are lots of open-source options that were not as readily available in the past, and it doesn't take much to modify one of those, that it would make since to cut corners and costs by using a form of Linux.  It's also an OS that has become popular recently as a gaming platform.  Some Steam games have started to support the OS and Ubuntu even has an app similar to Google Play where programs can be obtained.  Some free, some for a price.  It just makes more sense to me to use PC hardware, a form of Linux which is free, leaving time to learn how to develop games for it.  

Atari has already proved to me what kind of company they are.  Not entirely bad but I don't think they appreciated the many game titles they claim ownership to.  The modern remakes of well known and loved 2600 titles lost their path to their originals somewhere along the way.  I tried their Star Raiders...and while visually stunning didn't impress me.  It didn't feel like Star Raiders.  Nor did Yar's Revenge.  If this is the same Atari that is making AtariBox...I'm not impressed and I hope they are not planning on doing similar redesigns to other titles the Atari consoles got.  A revamped Cybermorph is not needed.  Do something new and fresh.

http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/inside-ataris-brand-revival/

In the article, their CEO admits the "Atari" company is just a brand management entity who is exploring licensing in all areas of "transmedia".  :rofl:

I am skeptical AT BEST. Hope to be proven wrong.  :vulcan_salute: 

- M. Bison

I just learned more about the Ataribox. It will run Linux, and has an AMD processor with Radeon graphics. It will be a PC experience, linking music, social media, et cetera, while playing games. That makes things a little better to me concerning the fact that it runs Linux. But, I am still not so sure. Could be promising, like TeddyGermany said. IMHO, and I know it may go down lumpy with some of you, I was wishing it would run RISC-based technology like the Jaguar. That would make it somewhat unique, to me anyway.

The part of the problem with said AtariBox is just that, it doesn't have anything specifically unique to it and is just another off-the-shelf components slapped together in a shoddy box which comes across to me as nothing more than a money grab. It'll probably just be an Atari-branded SteamOS and nothing more.

They haven't shown what the controller, joystick or input device looks like yet... nor have they confirmed any original 3rd party (or first party for that matter) titles in development for such a... product.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe