Atari Box

TrekMD

Yeah, the photos from today are real units. The email had more info than their social media posts.

From the email:

Thanks for your patience & support so far.

Today we're sharing brand new pics, more on what's inside, & more info on launch.

The pictures we're sharing today are of first prototypes. Everyone that has seen Ataribox first-hand loves it, feeling the Atari 2600 influence, while still being a modern design.

Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW).

We're launching Ataribox on Indiegogo this fall (read: pretty soon). To reiterate why: we want you, the Atari community, to be part of this launch. We want you to have early access, grab special editions (& pricing) and to have you as active partners in the rollout of Ataribox. We want you to be part of the story.

We plan on shipping late Spring 2018, with an expected price range of $249-$299 (depending on specific editions & memory configurations).

Hope you like what we are sharing today, and are ready for lots more in the weeks ahead.

PS: To confirm what many of you have asked: the Wood Edition is made with real wood ;)

I am hoping the factor that wakes people to reality is over pricing and the Indigogo RED FLAG, we will have to wait and see, priced right I would consider it just for the case and styling (knowing full well support is likely to be lame)  - overall ever since earlier talks about PC technology I have to say this is about EXACTLY what I was expecting, in other words a low powered PC hardware box with Linux core that streams with apps etc. THIS IS LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER STREAMING BOXES you can import from cheap Chinese sites like AliExpress / DX . com etc. It seems about the only thing that will set it apart (IF IT EVEN COMES TOGETHER AS THEY CLAIM) is the addition of bundled Atari games (emulated like on Android on I  am guessing) and a 2600 theme / styling.  Even just as that could have been a fun impulse grab at the right pricing level just for collectors purposes but it is sounding like that styling along with the logo / licensing and bundle of Atari games is exactly why they seem to feel they can waaaaaay over charge for this. If that is the case I think  I will  just get a similar device at a 3rd of the cost and simply slap on some woodgrain MAKtac, install my own emulated Atari games and call it a day. Sure it may not be "official" but it will be something likely almost as good if not better. 

;)  TRY TO REMEMBER FOLKS THIS IS NOT REALLY "ATARI" IT IS SIMPLY A NAME / LICENSE / IP acquired by people looking to bank our love and nostalgia for the original company. Some, actually many people always seem to want to believe that it is something more, it really isn't. And hey that is fine, even I would buy into something like this merely for that Atari logo if it were priced at an impulse buy level but it does not look like that will be the case so imho buying into and supporting such crap tells these companies how gullible and accepting we are to buy into ANYTHING and ANY PRICE, vote with your dollars folks and send the proper message. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Great points MRD! The price point is mind blowing considering that you can get an Xbox One S, PS4 and Switch within that range with guaranteed AAA support from developers and some of the best IP on offer. I love the styling but I'm not sure that Atari can compete on that level. This should be a $100 box.

If it had cart support for the classic platforms through the Jag, I would be in. As a set top box, not so much. Its fun to watch though.

Edited by atarilbc

I did find it interesting that CEO Lisa Su of AMD gave Atari a shoutout for using AMD as their customized chips with embedded Radeon graphics. It will be truly interesting if this honestly a customized chip made specifically for Atari via AMD but I find that highly unlikely since this is being crowd funded.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Just to add for those wondering about the integrity / history of those currently involved with "ATARIBOX" here is something to consider posted now by Larry Bundy on Facebook - Pasted exactly from his original post

Larry Bundy
2 hrs · 
Anyone who is thinking in investing in that AtariBox, I seriously recommend you have a long, hard think about doing so.
The project is run by a man with a track record of abandoned kickstarters and using either Chinese knock-offs or over the counter items you could easily build yourself.He screwed up his USB memory wristband Kickstarter so much, he ended up sending all the backers an email on how to build them themselves >.>
Anyhoo, here's a video on his previous projects:

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

In the sense that they just slapped the Atari logo on it and call it their own. There's nothing in-house or Atari about this other than the logo and someone else seeing dollar signs. That is and always will be the problem with these sort of things, the motivation comes from the wrong angle altogether. Just a few years ago Atari vowed to never enter the hardware market, yet... here we are.

Welcome to the forums btw! =D

Wait. I thought Infogrames made this? It definitely looks like a real Atari product to me.

It is a real Atari product, but made by another company for Atari. 

This is not a new practice. GCC made the 7800 for Atari and the Lynx was originally made by EPYX.

However, that being said, the guy heading up the Atari Box does not scream the same quality as GCC or EPYX.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Same with the Jaguar from Flare II but all of that was largely backed by Atari and had everyone behind it all, it was a huge involvement and their primary focus, all in.

I'm not sure I understand the big difference. Current Atari is behind this project too. Yes it is smaller scale, but the current Atari is a smaller company. Perhaps they aren't betting the farm on it, but that shouldn't be a surprise given there current history as a company that had to emerge from bankruptcy and is trying to stay profitable. As they got out of bankruptcy, they even stated they were going to try to be smarter in how the Atari name is used (Meaning, they weren't just going to hand it on to just anyone who wanted to license it).

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Btw, I need to correct myself. Another company is not making the Atari Box. Fergal Mac is the general manager of the project which apparently is being developed in house.

BTW #2: Even though I was a bit interested in the Atari Box when they teased it, I am no longer interested due to the current high price point. So I am not trying to promote it. I just don't understand why it's being said that this isn't a "real" Atari system.

...hardware is hardware, off the shelf or not, but I suppose that is left open for interpretation. Also, the fact that it's not custom hardware is kind of another key point but probably left best not to bother discussing since everyone is defensive on the subject it seems.

Unlike the PS4 and Xbox One, the AMD APU leaves a lot of questions since there are still no technical specifications outside of that alone. You can get an AMD APU for $50. And unlike Sony and MS, they're leaving the majority of games from homebrew/indie scene and PC compatible games that pre-exist from what I understand. If Minecraft is their AAA title, they've got a rough road ahead to put it lightly.

I'm not sure what's considered fair anymore since you can get a laptop from WalMart for $249 that could connect to a TV and is also an AMD CPU with built-in graphics, probably cheaper actually. You seem to know more than what everyone else does in regards to pre-installed games though. I know they mentioned it but do you know what it's coming pre-installed with other than a customized free OS and obviously some form of Atari collection that can be obtained by about 30 other devices costing a fraction of this?

Ataribox JUST shared this message and images in their Facebook page................hahahahhaha  :rofl:

We were going to wait for launch to show you the Ataribox Joystick, but we like it way too much to wait. What do you think?

post-15-0-83843600-1511286283_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-30491600-1511286291_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-66174600-1511286308_thumb.jpg

- M. Bison

The joystick looks too limited for a modern machine. I think that they are really going to be in trouble here, especially with the stupid Atari Box crowdfunding idea. Why pay twice for an Atari Box? If you crowd-fund it and then buy it that is essentially what you are doing! It's really a dumb ploy. It has "scam" written all over it. Atari will get rich, and we will get an under-powered game system slapped all together with shoddy parts. I wonder if it will make it into the stores at this rate. It's just all wrong.

They could have still made a retro joystick, but with more features and still make it similar to an A2600 controller. They made it too simple for our times. Unfortunately…

Edited by DegasElite

From Atari:

"It's Time!

Ataribox will be available for pre-order on December 14th, 2017.

You'll be the first to know before pre-orders go live.

Our team would like to offer our earliest supporters a chance to grab Ataribox at an exclusive discount, so keep an eye on that inbox.

These deals will be extremely limited. We'll tell you everything you need to know to get the best deal soon."

Expensive Pre-Order on IndiGOGO? And NO other info or specs? Sorry this seems fishy as hell imho.  

- M. Bison

Woo Hoo today is the big day we get those Pre-Order deta.......................oh wait......   :rofl: 

post-15-0-90196600-1513275933_thumb.jpg

AKA - WE NEED MORE TIME TO COME UP WITH A CONVINCING SCAM ! 

- M. Bison

I am going to go out on a limb and risk having to eat crow and paste here what I posted elsewhere regarding this fiasco - 

I would love to say people like us do not fall for such things but many are collectors that simply refuse to see an obvious scam for what it is, the same people enticed in the past by the Coleco Chameleon scam, it was the same process of level headed fans and collectors calling it out pretty early on but even as the proof emerged waves of so called Coleco fans refused to remove the nostalgia goggles and relentlessly defended it until the inevitable clear failure. 

Even then many of them turned around to say WE killed it with comments and negativity lol. Yeah, some will believe anything by anyone and are willing to part with money as long as it has the name / logo and marketing hype attached. They simply do not want to accept that it is being marketed by a man known for shoddy products and questionable background who simply acquired the name from the current owners. 

They prefer to believe in unicorns and leprechauns and a new Atari that will bring balance to gaming once again....or some nonsense.  This has already crossed the line where you cannot just say "Well I prefer to wait and see" or simply "I am an optimist", no you just refuse to see the obvious signs for what it is or even make the proper deduction based on past history of similar schemes.  This is why we see these types of things repeated over and over.

Name a crowd funded console that successfully launched? Someone else I know made this comment, it was the Ouya and that was pretty much a failure within a year. 

- M. Bison