Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari Box

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 134 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

Not as bad as the CatBox for the Jaguar. :)

True. But, I hope that the next name is a little better because "AtariBox" sounds like it almost infringes on "XBox." I know it doesn't, but the names sound too similar right now anyway.

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#42 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 966 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

I am not exactly sure what I think about the "AtariBox" at this moment.  I mean that design does not interest me at all and in some ways looks rushed.  I would have rather had another wedge design in a similar fashion to the 5200 or 7800.  I could have seen and accepted a gloss black and silver plate or some other kind of silver trim maybe outlining an edge but the current design doesn't appeal to me at the moment.  

So...for me...in order for the AtariBox to completely suck me in I will need to see what the hardware is capable of and what games are going to be available for it.  What I don't want is games built-in.  Let it come with one or two games, maybe a code for one game of the consumer's choice, but I don't want a lot of games I either already got or in a genre I won't want to play.  That reason alone is the only reason I am not looking forward to the SNES Mini coming out in September.  It has lots of good games, sure, but not a one of them is a shoot 'em up that I enjoyed playing on that system.  

• Justin likes this

#43 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 957 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Just noticed this very moment, on the ATARIBOX website after the promotional video plays the thumbnails for related Ataribox videos ;) THIS SHIT WRITES ITSELF !

Capture.JPG

• Justin likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#44 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 966 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

As much as I know that this Atari is not the Atari we grew up with I really hope they are not shooting themselves in the foot with AtariBox.  I do wonder if the system is Linux based or not.  A proprietary OS doesn't seem possible because not many developers in the gaming industry are doing such things these days.  There are lots of open-source options that were not as readily available in the past, and it doesn't take much to modify one of those, that it would make since to cut corners and costs by using a form of Linux.  It's also an OS that has become popular recently as a gaming platform.  Some Steam games have started to support the OS and Ubuntu even has an app similar to Google Play where programs can be obtained.  Some free, some for a price.  It just makes more sense to me to use PC hardware, a form of Linux which is free, leaving time to learn how to develop games for it.  

Atari has already proved to me what kind of company they are.  Not entirely bad but I don't think they appreciated the many game titles they claim ownership to.  The modern remakes of well known and loved 2600 titles lost their path to their originals somewhere along the way.  I tried their Star Raiders...and while visually stunning didn't impress me.  It didn't feel like Star Raiders.  Nor did Yar's Revenge.  If this is the same Atari that is making AtariBox...I'm not impressed and I hope they are not planning on doing similar redesigns to other titles the Atari consoles got.  A revamped Cybermorph is not needed.  Do something new and fresh.

• MaximumRD likes this

#45 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 957 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

http://www.alistdail...-brand-revival/

In the article, their CEO admits the "Atari" company is just a brand management entity who is exploring licensing in all areas of "transmedia".  :rofl:

I am skeptical AT BEST. Hope to be proven wrong.  :vulcan_salute: 

• Justin likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#46 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

It could be a promising first step back into business. I hope so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users