Albert’s statement on AtariAge regarding Coleco

Justin

Albert posted a statement on AtariAge regarding Coleco that I think is deserving of everyone’s attention: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265739-coleco-strong-arming-homebrew-publishers-and-fan-sites/page-42?do=findComment&comment=3777374

Many of our members are active on AtariAge and are also Coleco enthusiasts. The ColecoVision community has set a high water mark for classic gaming at its best. Just one example of this community is Eduardo Mello of OpCode Games who has done an outstanding job with bringing his projects to fruition. Eduardo has been a personal hero of mine for well over a decade, and in my opinion he's really hit it out of the park demonstrating a level of innovation and top shelf quality that can be done in homebrewing. Seeing what other classic gamers havedone is inspiring. It's pushed me to go farther, try harder, and make everything I'm working on even better than I thought possible. This is exactly the sort of passion needed for classic gaming to thrive, and those who dedicate themselves to creating "new things for old toys" should be lauded for their endeavors. This might be a nice time to drop Eduardo a line, or any one of your favorite homebrewers, just to say thanks for all that they do.

Thanks for keeping up on this. I thought this saga was over, looks like we might be moving into another round.

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Sad, very sad! The retromarket has reached a certain size and that is the moment, the locusts enter the scene.

It is the same situation with the actual Atari. They had made a mess with Jeff Minters TxK several years ago. They claimed that Minter had illegally used the code of T2K for Jaguar for that PSV game. So Minter had stopped any activity for a PS4-Translation of TxK.

Sad, very sad!

Edited by TeddyGermany

Thanks for keeping up on this. I thought this saga was over, looks like we might be moving into another round.

I think we always had a feeling that we were waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Coleco Chameleon, but it's been a year. Everybody seemed to give "Coleco" the benefit of the doubt. I don't think a year ago anybody would've expected this.

That is very well stated.

Thank you. I have tremendous respect for the homebrew community. I think we're going to do a "homebrew appreciation week" to celebrate these guys and their games. It's important to look past the handful of disappointments and appreciate the breadth of incredible games that the homebrew community has given us over the past 15 years. When I first started collecting classic games in 1993 I thought we were at the end of the line, that no new games would be coming out for these systems. Turns out we've seen some of the best games for these systems come out in just the past few years.

Sad, very sad! The retromarket has reached a certain size and that is the moment, the locusts enter the scene.

It is the same situation with the actual Atari. They had make a mess with Jeff Minters TxK several years ago. They claimed that Minter had illegally used the code of T2K for Jaguar for that PSV game. So Minter had stopped any activity for a PS4-Translation of TxK.

Sad, very sad!

Sadly that always seems to be the case! It would have been a smarter move for Atari to work with Jeff Minter on making TxK an officially licensed product.

Pat had one more video on this subject that I meant to include in my original post:

Today's Colecovision is simply an a-hole who bought some Coleco ip, ie he is just in it for the money and cares nothing for the community or fan loyalty. Chris has no interest in forging relationships with Coleco fans, he claims he does but so far his actions reveal otherwise.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison