Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Hyperkin - Retron 77. HD Atari 2600?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

Woo hoo!

Attached Thumbnails

• 8870D31E-433D-4216-87D0-EC5CAC258332.jpeg

• MaximumRD, greenween, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

#62 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 659 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

Mine is on the way!

• MaximumRD, StormSurge and kamakazi20012 like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#63 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Nice! Id love to hear your review on this thing. Good sound? Hows the HD really look?

Edited by jmjustin6, 13 July 2018 - 10:13 PM.

• greenween and kamakazi20012 like this

#64 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 659 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:44 PM

It arrived but I'm in SuperCon this weekend, so I won't be testing it until next week most likely. 

• greenween and kamakazi20012 like this

#65 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

The reviews on-line that I've seen have been pretty brutal.  Mostly about poor quality of the console and the controller.  I'll be interested to hear your take, TrekMD.  Thanks!

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#66 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 659 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

Yes, I know.  I've already downloaded to files to update the system.  I'll use it without the updates and then with to make a comparison.  The updates address the limitation of titles displayed when using an SD card and a few other issues.  Despite the problems I've read about, one good thing is that if something is related to software, it can be fixed by the community.  As for the hardware, I've seen all sorts of negative comments about the joystick.  I will try it out but I'm likely going to need a replacement.

• MaximumRD, RickR and kamakazi20012 like this

#67 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

Yea ive already seen alot of people post about their joysticks breaking after a few hours of use. Thats ridiculous!!
  • kamakazi20012 likes this

#68 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

I don't think the joystick is a big deal.  It has real ports, so you can use any classic joystick (or paddles) you like.  And that part you mention about the software being upgradable sounds really good.  It's actually a really cool idea -- to pull the code from a cartridge and run Stella. 

A lot of times, I think the retro-gaming fan base is just way too negative.  It's only $70!  It isn't perfect, but it does what they promised it would.  I'm thinking of getting one.  Once I get your opinion, of course :) 

• MaximumRD, jmjustin6 and kamakazi20012 like this

#69 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 659 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

They will replace the joysticks, though.  They've redesigned them so you just contact them and they help you out. 

• RickR and kamakazi20012 like this

#70 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,331 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

John Hancock did a review of this system on YouTube.

As for Justin's response about the 7800's competition...it wasn't just those systems he mentioned the 7800 competed with. By the time the system reached my area it was up against the TG-16, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, and the SNES was not far away. Who would want a 7800 when Sonic, Bonk, and Mario dominated the gaming industry? The 7800 simply couldn't compete because of poor timing as well as Atari seemed to neglect that releasing to many systems at once was creating competition for itself.

I'm surprised that no one has ever tried to make a 7800 clone yet. At least I've not seen or heard of one yet. Then again, it's a unique beast of a console. I've been studying it and have learned how to generate sprites on it. I've even pushed the hardware as much as I can by duplicating those sprites. I've managed to get 150 multi-colored sprites moving on the screen simultaneously before the system starts to slowdown and almost crash. Once I figure out the playfield and how to create scrolling backgrounds I will be doing some of my own development for the 7800.

As for the Retron 77, not to get of subject just now, it would be my choice over Atari VCS.
  • MaximumRD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users