Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Does Joust II Deserve The Flak?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Whilst collecting scans for the epic coin-op thread on here, i came across C.U Magazines rather downbeat review of Joust II, thought little more of it, as reviewer clearly stated he was NOT a fan of the original, so an 'improved' sequel was hardly going to be his thing...

But when i sought out footage of it on YT (i must confess i've never personally played it) i saw it described in poor terms yet again:

http://www.google.co...0y1R5pjMzGKUsUQ

So, to those of you who have played it:

Does it deserve such a hammering?

And what would you of liked to of seen the sequel do differently?.

Attached Thumbnails

• cu43000099.jpg

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

I've never even heard of it! 

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,177 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

I have played it at the Houston ArcadeExpo (in 2013 & 2015 - pics below). I love Joust, but playing this sequel is just too hard. Smaller screen (not size-wise, just smaller area to fly around) and seems to me alot harder than the original. So, I can understand why Joust 2 got a bad rap.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0159.JPG
  • SANY0123.JPG

• Lost Dragon likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#4 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

I've never even heard of it! 

I was in the same boat until Midway Arcade Treasures came out.

From my perspective it didn't get a bad rap...just ignored.

• Lost Dragon likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks guys :)

So it's very niche.. Too hard... And basically a big step backwards by sounds of it. Crying shame.

• Arenafoot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users