Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Quarterworld in Portland, OR

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

My son and I visited Quarterworld, an arcade here in Portland today.  Their web site:  http://quarterworldarcade.com/

Here's how it works.  You pay a cover to get in.  It's normally $3, but we lucked in to "Happy Hour", which made the admission $1 each.  All of the games operate on quarters.  No tokens.  Most games are $0.50.  Fancier ones are $0.75 or $1.  There are change machines and ATM's there.  Also, if you're over 21, they give you a bracelet so you can get an adult beverage. 

As far as games go, they have a LOT.  From classics to new stuff.  Pinball too.  The building used to be a theater, so there is a lot of space.  I played some classics (Tron, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, Tempest) and some newer games too.  Probably the coolest thing I played was a Star Wars game that involves sitting in a little sphere with the screen wrapping around you and encompassing your whole field of vision.  Very immersive.  That one was $1.  I also played several pinball games.  They also had a big screen Pac Man / Galaxian. 

Overall, we probably spent 90 minutes there, and about $20 for the two of us, which is a pretty good deal for so much fun. 

The only complaint we have is that the games are too quiet -- the volumes are set too low.  On Tron, you could barely hear any of the music or sounds, and that's really a shame. 

And finally, here are a few pics I took.  Sorry, I really suck at using a smart-phone camera. 

20170617_163244.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by MaximumRD, 18 June 2017 - 03:16 AM.

• Justin, The Professor, MaximumRD and 5 others like this

#2 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

This is great! Im always happy to see up and running arcade shops still going. Looks like alot of fun
  • Justin and Rowsdower70 like this

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:46 AM

Very cool trip Rick! Thanks for taking pictures, isharing and posting! 

:wreck-it-ralph_anim:

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#4 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:18 AM

Rick, I downloaded then reuploaded the images properly (four were sideways) rotated because I am fussy like that . ;) 

• Justin, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#5 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Rick, I downloaded then reuploaded the images properly (four were sideways) rotated because I am fussy like that . ;)

Good looking out MaximumRD  :nintendo_mario_1up:

• MaximumRD and Rowsdower70 like this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Thanks! Much better

On my PC, they were right side up, but posted sideways. Did you have to do something other than a rotate?
  • MaximumRD and Rowsdower70 like this

#7 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

I love that these are becoming a thing now.   When we do Retropalooza in Arlington, I'll be visiting their new Free Play location.  

https://www.facebook...eplayarlington/

Looks to be a killer retrocade, lots of beers, and tasty pub foods. :)

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#8 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thanks! Much better

On my PC, they were right side up, but posted sideways. Did you have to do something other than a rotate?

You are quite welcome! I wondered if there was a way I could rotate them in place but if there is I have no idea, so I downloaded the sideways ones to my desktop, they appeared sideways even in the thumbnail, I just opened MSoffice Picture Manager, rotated to upright position and saved over original. After that the thumbnails also appeared upright. 

I know images can be weird, I have a program that allows me to right click on the thumbnail of an image and choose to rotate left or right, they always look fine according to the thumbnail after that but when actually opening to view they are not always corrected lol. Honestly, I get nervous editing the structure of anyone's post so I was totally prepared to hit CANCEL if I could not correct them lol. 

• The Professor likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

Quarterworld looks like the place to go in Portland. How does it compare to other arcades in the area?

#10 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Quarterworld looks like the place to go in Portland. How does it compare to other arcades in the area?

The king of arcades here is called Ground Kontrol, which just expanded in size.  Ground Kontrol has a lot more games, but it's downtown and harder to get to and find parking.  In any case, you can't go wrong with either.  These are both REAL arcades without the kids gambling/ticket games. 

• The Professor likes this

#11 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 429 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

That is really cool!  Looks like a fun place to visit.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users