Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The FULL Story on Strider 2 (Tiertex) Lynx and Panther!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

This one has been a long time coming and normally as you guys know, i'd put up the full interview.

However due to some nonsense going on within the 'Greater' Atari Jaguar/Lynx Community with people banned from certain forums etc attempting to discredit findings/follow up names we put the legwork into find, i'm not going that route.

Sorry, but i'm not feeding internet morons habbits...and i think my credibilty has been proven over the years as is.

Anywho, following up from the preview in RAZE magazine that US Gold/Tiertex were converting Strider 2 to the Lynx (50% done at that time), i tried to find any actual Lynx screens etc, but nothing, so had thought this was a myth...

GTW knew a good few C64 coders/artists from Tiertex and knew i'd drawn a blank with the ST/Amiga coders from there i'd spoken too, nothing on it was mentioned in Chris Wilkin's History Of US Gold Book, so would ask them if there was any truth to Raze's claim, on MY behalf...

Here's what's been found, multiple sources used:

-It was 100% finished, passed onto Atari, coder asked to return a few times to fix bugs, add extra's Atari wanted (Continue Game option, Silent game Option etc) which included 'For demo.Purposes Only' message to flash up whilst playing..last thing that was coded.

-Coding started in Jan 1991, finished 5 months later, passed onto play testers etc.

-Game had gone through Atari's approval system.

-Atari really keen to see game done, provided Tiertex with lot of Lynx test code, documentation which made this, coder's ONLY Lynx title, a lot easier to get started.

-The Lynx version was based on:Map data from the Amiga version, Music from the ST version, and lot of play on the Amiga version by coder.

-Lynx version made easier to play and had an EXCLUSIVE, Secret level.

-Atari gave the coder the Go-Ahead to develop a version for the Atari Panther console, but Panther scrapped soon after.

-All source code BELIVED LOST..coder never kept back ups, nor did Tiertex at that time, Eprom's just put in a drawer at company and forgotten about.

-Lot of SPECULATION/CONJECTURE as to why game was never released, but includes:

1)Declining Lynx market.

2)Cost of manufacturing Lynx Carts.

3)Issues between US Gold/Tiertex and Atari (though they went onto work on Jaguar projects)

4)Issues within Atari itself (Lynx failing at market, projects like Panther being scrapped)

But there we have it.

Another TRUE Lost Lynx title and Planned Panther title.

More pieces of the puzzle found, documented.

• Greyfox likes this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Strider II is a CLASSIC example of the sheer madness line of thinking within Atari at that time.

They were telling UK Press they wanted (existing) ST Owners to BUY the Panther Console, yet look at some of the the games planned:

Shadow Of The Beast-ST/Amiga Conversion...Lynx version:released

Strider II ST/Amiga Conversion, Lynx version due out...

They would of needed far more EXCLUSIVES than just The Crypt to sit alongside ports from the ST/Amiga...shesh.

Attached Thumbnails

• raze03000009.jpg
  • raze90000020.jpg
  • raze03000037.jpg

• Greyfox and Karyyk like this

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Since this thread is covering the full story, it's a chance to clear up a few more MYTH's about the game.

A few years back, the game was described by Retro Gamer Magazine's Editor (himself a self confessed HUGE Strider Fan..) as 'Universally PANNED by critics at time of it's release...

Might i suggest a trip to spec savers or at least some proper research before such sweeping statements made.

Looking at 16bit versions alone, joining Raze's praise for ST version, we have Sega Force with their Genesis review (they also praised the MS version saying it had awesome graphics, was a must have for all MS platform freaks, a stunning sequel etc)...

C+VG awarded the ST version 80/100

ST Format 79/100

Atari ST times (later review i admit) 90/100

Joystick (ST version) 80%

Video Games Magazine (Genesis version) 77% lower but not panned.

Zzap64 (Amiga version) 65% Average but not a panning by any means...

Attached Thumbnails

• segaforce1500038.jpg
  • segaforce1500039.jpg

• Greyfox and Karyyk like this

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

Another ST review full of praise.

*Side Note:Lynx coder thought Strider 2 worked well on Lynx, would of been quality title for system.

Interview with another coder:

http://lscmainframe....s/afindlay.html

Origins Of Game itself:

http://strider.wikia..._II/Development

Attached Thumbnails

• zero1400055.jpg

• Greyfox likes this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

ZX Spectrum Press seemed fine with game also...(thanks to:http://spectrumcompu...t=96&id=0004944for images)

Matt Bielby of Your Sinclair magazine gave the game a positive review, and went so far as to claim that Capcom wanted to use the Sinclair port of this game as the basis for a coin-op sequel..a claim various other UK Mags ran with :)

Attached Thumbnails

• SinclairUser10600033.jpg
  • YourSinclair6100051.jpg

• Greyfox likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

ST version rated 6.8 at Atarimania, plus they have the STF Review:

http://www.atarimani...r-ii_21330.html

Universally anned indeed :)

As for basis of Coin Op Sequel..Hmnn lets compare:

http://www.google.co...svlp7dAq55rwzjQ

Vs:

Night and Day/Chalk and Cheese anyone?

Lets see Tiertex game written 1990, reviewed Jan 91 by UK Press, a 2D game based on an original C64 game, re-written for the licence...

Capcom's Arcade/PS1 game a game using 2D Animation on 3D Backgrounds, released in 1999....

Yet still this claim was copy/pasted into an ST feature on Capcom's Arcade conversions to the ST in an issue of Atari User..use some logic.

Oh and another high score for it:

Game Pro, Game Gear version 4/5...

Pan that :)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 24 June 2017 - 12:09 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Passed the info onto a dedicated Strider site, they LOVED IT and had this to say about the Strider 2 used by capcom Claim:

Ross,

Yeah, that claim how Capcom were so impressed about Strider II was laughable to anyone who had any knowledge of what actually went on at Capcom Japan during Strider 2's development.

• Greyfox likes this

#8 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

Fantastic stuff fella, hating seeing this go unnoticed here, not one response here..I think sometimes why you bother if no one even appreciates the efforts here, Atari IO getting exclusivity like this and many more. Seems to be a close net of Atari VCS,5200 and 7800 fans only posting replies to stuff.

Again thank you for all your efforts, they don't go unnoticed in my book
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:22 AM

Cheers Greyfox :) Had a few people interested in it on Atari age, plus a dedicated Strider FB page wanted to run the story, told them they can put up link to this thread. 

Reason i put material up on here as an exclusive (other than it's a great community) and link to it i hope that by providing content here, people will slowly realise just how much the site has to offer on ALL Atari formats.

This site should be bloody proud of what it has and i feel we have been able to give a much wider and far more realistic look at the Pal side of Atari, plus the real series of events behind such formats as the 7800,XEGS, ST, Panther and now Lynx.

We don't reprint magazine claims as fact. Speculation is put up as just that. We've had far more in-depth looks at developers like Imagitec, Thalion etc than you would of found in RetroGamer magazine.

The Tiertex/US Gold Lynx Strider 2 find went beyond what Chris wilkins History Of US Gold book was able to cover We put up reviews from the era of games, good or bad, none of this universally panned (Strider 2) or games consistantly scored well (Dizzy) rubbish i've read elsewhere over the years.

I know the ST, Lynx and A8 material doesn't get the 'traffic' 2600,5200 etc tend s to get but it's every bit as deserving as the others and deserves to be covered. I try and provide material for ALL interests:Atari, Amstrad, Sega, Nintendo, Commodore, Arcade..you name it.

• Greyfox and btbfilms76 like this

#10 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

Greyfox got it right! Lost Dragon is one of the biggest pillars in these forums. He gives us many to read and think about. A big thank you, my dear friend.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#11 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 162 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

I'll second that.  Lost Dragon's research has been invaluable.  Suffice to say nobody knows more about the U.K. side of Atari, especially in regards to later Atari consoles (Lynx, Panther, Jaguar).

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 28 June 2017 - 11:02 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:23 AM

I wouldn't say nobody knows more :-))

What i've tried to do is reach as many sources as humanly possible with limited means...i'm honestly not signing upto Face Book, not even for research purposes..

So taking Atari UK..it was far more than just Darryl Still...so i was lucky enough to reach Les Player, Mike Fulton, Martin Walker, Jon Dean,Bob Katz etc...

Yet many more names i couldn't.

I don't go in with a blinkered,simplistic approach...

Atari simply replaced the 2600 with XEGS..7800 limped in afterwards..

That totally ignores plans for 5200, 7800 launches and steps made in laying groundwork for them.

Regarding Panther, soon as i read that..Only Panther games were Cybermorph, Crescent Galaxy and Plasma Pong claim, presented as fact, I knew it was utter B.S as Peter Johnson had talked of his work on Shadow Of The Beast..so if that existed,there had to be others.

Oh and you cannot claim your covering History Of the ST over here without mentioning the battle  between it and Sinclair QL, no matter how short it was.

I don't fall for magazine screenshots as conclusive proof game X started on Jaguar, nor would i put up video footage from 3DO version as proof..

I don't buy into the claims Carmack started Jaguar Quake as no one can show me him saying it..

Ditto that Jaguar MK III was running..thanks to Scott i have Probes documents relating to who was to code it..but that's a world away from game reaching playable stage..

I also don't horde info, it comes in, it's shared as is..rough quality, but honest with it.

The kind words are very much appreciated but EVERYONE here makes the community something to be bloody proud of.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 29 June 2017 - 05:26 AM.

• TeddyGermany likes this

#13 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

You often read, that Germany was the biggest market for Amiga/Atari. This may be right or not, but i think, UK was the most interesting market for both without discussion.

"The kind words are very much appreciated but EVERYONE here makes the community something to be bloody proud of."

Indeed, but true facts must be called true.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 01 July 2017 - 06:27 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Germany was reported as being a KEY player for Atari, along with Poland, France was often mentioned during the ST era, lot of 'odd' French games appearing on these shores..always seemed to be games out on CPC and ST at times :).

Regarding Fact checking:It's vital..plain and simple.

For too long certain people, still very active in the retro scene today, were simply taking UK Press claims and repeating them as FACT...

So we had the classic's like:

California Games 2 headed for Lynx and 'proof' being shown with screens taken from possibly Amiga or DOS version-This based purely on a claim made in UK Magazine Gamesmaster Magazine..truth in reality Epyx hated atari at this point.

Quake was started on Jaguar..30% complete..Ultimate Future game claim there, people supplementing it with this mythical John Carmack interview that's never been found.

Tomb Raider started out on Jaguar CD-based on Mock Up Screens Edge knew were fakes, yet still ran in an advertising supplement Atari paid them to produce.

Even after i had this confirmed by Core design's Richard Barclay, who'd given Edge the screens and told them they were mock ups..the person in question didn't remove or add a disclaimer to..his YT video showing it as a supposed Jaguar CD game.

But then same person was selling 'Limited edition' versions of his supposed Lost Jaguar Games Video CD..for £70 at 1 time..yes folks a collection of 3DO/PC CD and Saturn footage freely avaiable to view on YT can be yours on a CD-R with video files the Jaguar CD can play, plus free jewel case and art insert...

1 of the best claims was same persons mate had done work experience at C+VG Magazine and seen the fabled Lynx/Game Gear convertor in action..yes this add-on device which would of let Lynx owners play Game Gear games on Lynx and Lynx Games on Game Gear, was apparently running both Sonic and Space Harrier on a Lynx MK II...

Even after it was shown C+VG had admitted entire story was a HOAX, they had just gotten tired of letters coming in being nothing but GG Vs Lynx Vs GB...he refused to admit he'd made claim up :)

Then we had the absurd fantasy/wish list crap on Lost Lynx/Jaguar and 7800 games doing the rounds, all colour coded and presented as FACT...

Gunship 2000 nearly complete? LMAO..confirmed by coder it never got beyond early 3D modelling...

Expert claims that ST Robocop was an 100% authentic conversion of the (class) Data East coin op, when Ocean made clear the game was loosely 50% based on the coin-op, 50% on the 8 bit home micro versions it had done...

Freelancer 2120 was Finished but lost..yet it'd been proven to of been switched to PS1 by Imagitec Design at the time Jaguar version was canned, plus Andrew seed later went on record to say only PC CD version was running...

Someone had to step in and seperate fact from fiction, but sadly there are still folks implying that code for things like Conan, which coder himself admits is lost, may 1 day magically appear...

If i left it upto the supposed experts to write about/cover the UK side of The Panther, 5200, 7800 etc we'd be in the bloody dark ages.

Nothing is ever written about Atari UK's advertising tie in's with wall's Ice cream/Colgate Toothpaste etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users