Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The EPYX Titles Atari Wanted on Lynx...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:04 AM

Again HUGE thanks to Scott for passing on the Zip file containing this... So, Atari wanted Californa Games II (probably wouldn't of been at all concerned by reviews released versions were getting either)... I would of loved Summer and Winter Games on Lynx , The Games..not so much so, ditto Street Sports seies. Impossible Mission 1+2, Pitstop II and Ash.Trilogy would also have been superb. If Epyx could of done upgraded versions..drool.... But sadly reality was things between Epyx and atari were so dire, this never got any further than a dream list... Thought i'd share with greater community. For those lurking out there only looking to copy n paste this file, that's fine. Just credit Scott and this forum for bringing you the info...

Attached Thumbnails

• TmpFile_4.JPG

• RickR and atarilbc like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

We really, really didn't need Cal Games II on Lynx...

Amiga Joker Amiga Oct, 1992 68 out of 100 

Amiga Format Amiga Sep, 1992 64 out of 100 

Power Play DOS Jul, 1991 62 out of 100 

Play Time SNES Jul, 1993 61 out of 100 

ASM (Aktueller Software Markt) DOS May, 1991 5.8 out of 12 

Mega Fun SNES Nov, 1993 46 out of 100 

CU Amiga Amiga Sep, 1992 41 out of 100 

Nintendo Magazine System UK SNES Apr, 1993 20 out of 100 

Joypad SEGA Master System Nov, 1993 16 out of 100 

Attached Thumbnails

• segamastor0200023.jpg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 06 July 2017 - 06:55 AM.

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

Again, HAS to be said, i paid damn good money for copy of RetroGamer magazine who did a big feature on Epyx 'Games' series, supposed writer was big Atari fan, self proclaimed expert, yet nothing said about the titles Atari wanted, had to find/share info myself.

And people wonder why magazine sales are on the decline? shesh...

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,623 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

"Apshai Series".  WOAH!  A complex set of games like that on Lynx would have been something special. 

Hopefully they meant enhanced versions of all those. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

It's always a double-edged sword, reporting on Lost Atari material..

You have the inital frustration of realising you paid bloody good money to read up on a developer in a mainstream, commercial magazine, who's resources utterly dwarf your own, but still failed to deliver the content you were hoping to find...but also the fact you see what could of been....

So much more could of been brought to the Lynx, from so many publishers/developers and we are left looking at mail like this, stories of games like Strider II being finished and wondering why on earth we recieved so, so little.

• Greyfox likes this

#6 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

Again as I've mentioned in other posts here on Atari IO, I am one for being quite up front regarding my opinions on the subject matter when I reply to something, thank god I've never ever proclaimed myself as an expert on what ever machine because post like this simply show them to be complete uneducated gobshites in the subject they are trying to be an expert on which is laughable in many cases, I'm on the side of the individual not seeking glory or a penny pinching freeloading whore I could mention here, but I've said it before informing those that truly don't or shouldn't be part of a community only to derive it for money deserve to see posts like this. It does appear I'm on a rant here, I've spoken to Lost a Dragon about why he posts this amazing information for those that will exploit it in some way or another like feeding parasites voracious appetites and he simply replies with I'm not here to claim to be an expert rather than to present the information to those that appreciate it , and I am one of those people.

It was a dying shame the Lynx didn't get the triple A titles it deserved, which truly sickens me, as I love this hand held and what it could have being is truly something of a travesty in my opinion. This article again fills another hole in the Atari Lynx saga, hopefully The Lynx lounge will pick it up and doing another nice video covering the information here :)
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

You were a fellow RetroGamer Magazine Forum poster , all those years ago i was Greyfox, i'm sure you can remember THOSE Atari Lost game threads with EXPERT claims..and by Expert i mean self entitled claims, ohh yes, i wrote a big guide for atari user...type claims and in there were THE CLASSICS....

Tomb Raider started out on Jaguar CD, Luara Cruz...

Lynx Californa Games was 50 % finished.

Cue screenshot after screenshot, but NEVER a SOURCE given, just a warning for people NOT to steal the information given...

Ohh the irony.Images from Atari Promo material, magazines, other sites as were the claims..things like Lynx Metal Mutant etc straight from posts shared on Atari Age...

Jeff Minter? ohh yes, spoken to him, he loved Lynx hardware (true) was working on Ultra Star Raiders (utter B.S) and ironically after i had him Tweeted, i found his interview with AEO..stating Llamasoft was too small to do Lynx development.

People like myself had to start actively looking into ALL claims:forum posts, fanzines, commercial magazines.. as people DESERVED to know what could of been and why it didn't happen.

documents like this are bitter pills, but have a place in the overal history of the Lynx and thanks to Scott's kindness the community gets to know...

Strider II..not a fantastic game, but a true Lost Lynx title, so again, community deserves to know.

IF the combined Panther-ST-A8-Lynx-Jaguar-5200-7800 info ends up being used for others personal gain, be it paid for magazine article/PDF guide on amazon/feature in a Chris wilkins book/magazine, so be it, at least the ruddy stuff will be factual for once :)

#8 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 446 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, @LostDragon. These documents that you've shared over the last few days throughout the forum have really been interesting!
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

As i just stated to:A31Chris AKA Jag Chris, in the Defender 2000 files thread.

It's not (really) ME people should thank, but Scott Stilphen, they were HIS files and HIS kindness in passing them onto me made this happen.

I originally forwarded them onto Unseen64/Shinto/Atarimania etc as ZIP files, hoping they could go live/be used, Atarimania have put a good few up, but Jaguar section in it's infancy.

This week a combination of hot weather and coming off Night shifts meant i've not been sleeping well at all, so had hours to kill, so rather than stare at a clock..thought i'd put time to better use, convert files to JPEG format, copy and put up here.

It's that simple.

And yes i waited YEARS for files like these to be made public or referenced in books or magazines.

The Lynx and Epyx have been written about so many times, this info never came to light, so now seemed as good a time as any.

• Scott Stilphen likes this

#10 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 162 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Anybody with a scanner can do what I did.   Huge thanks to you, Ross, for taking the time to analyze and disseminate it.  You truly are the right guy to 'connect all the dots' with this info :)

• Justin, Greyfox, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

It proved extremly useful my friend and in a good few cases really did help draw a thick black line under claims about Creature Shock, James Pond III etc.

I KNEW there would be a backlash, which reared it's head originally on Unseen 64 (Luca had to waste valuable time deleting Troll bait comments), then YT, then Assmbler forums and sadly now here.

People demmanding ALL documents put up now now NOW!

People getting angry that it was us, not them having the info, fact it made their research for paid for work look shabby...

People refusing to see what's right in front of them.

And so on and so on, but that's the risk worth taking.

People deserved to have the info and shouldn't be charged for it or force to join any group and be told you must not share it.

#12 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:43 AM

Question: This memo is dated January 8, 1993. Why would John Skruch be sending out a memo in 1993 requesting games like Blue Lightning, Gates of Zendocon, California Games, Electrocop, etc. for Atari Lynx, when they had already been out for a few years? Some were launch titles. Is there context to this that I'm missing? Do you think perhaps this is a memo stating which EPYX titles Atari wanted on Jaguar? We know Blue Lightning made it to the Jag. It was always my opinion, even at the time, that a handful of EPYX titles at launch would go a long way to establishing the Jaguar.

post-839-0-26845900-1499335118.jpg

• The Professor, Greyfox and atarilbc like this

#13 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 162 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

You're right, it was probably a memo meant for the Jaguar.  When I scanned these in, they were all in one big pile, and I did my best to label each file as to what it was for.  I probably saw the list of titles and figured, "That's Lynx stuff" and labeled it as such, not noticing the date.  The Lynx came out in 1989 and as you noted, 5 of those games (Cali Games, Electrocop, Gates of Zendocon, Blue Lightning, and Chip's Challenge) were launch titles.

Speaking of Epyx, they were working on another obscure but 'hot' gaming platform...

Attached Thumbnails

• epyx_electronic_nuclear_toaster.jpg

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 09 July 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• Justin, The Professor, Greyfox and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users