Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari Corp Vs Ringler studios (Brett Hull Hockey CD) THE LETTERS!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

I thought this 1 was deserving of it's own thread as there are so many pages.

*Disclaimer:Sorry they are NOT in order, but Shaz is using my Ipad for stuff for her lads wedding so this was put together on my (spare) smart phone, sure folks can pick through and get the gist.

Very interesting to read points made in the ahem, 'exchange' espically Ringler trying to explain to Atari this is a more demmanding 3D game than Doom, which as they rightly pointed out, ran in Low Res mode on Jaguar.

Love the comments about Leonard Tramiel overselling 3D Power of Jaguar, putting it on par with workstations which had rendered the images for the film, The Lawnmower Man.

Documents like this (thanks to Scott stilphen) really do highlight how tense things were between Atari and it's 3rd party developers.

Who needs to buy a book on Atari corp when you have information like this freely avaiable? LMAO.

Attached Thumbnails

• TmpFile_25.JPG
  • TmpFile_26.JPG
  • TmpFile_27.JPG
  • TmpFile_28.JPG
  • TmpFile_29.JPG
  • TmpFile_30.JPG
  • TmpFile_31.JPG
  • TmpFile_32.JPG
  • TmpFile_33.JPG
  • TmpFile_34.JPG
  • TmpFile_35.JPG
  • TmpFile_36.JPG
  • TmpFile_37.JPG
  • TmpFile_38.JPG

Edited by Lost Dragon, 07 July 2017 - 11:52 AM.

• RickR and atarilbc like this

#2 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 165 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Boy, this Jon Correll sounded like a REAL tool from what I read. Wow. Atari did not seem to have a great rapport with their third-party developers, that's for sure.

Edited by BlackCatz40, 21 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#3 marigul

marigul

Cherry Member

• 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

Wow I haven't seen these emails in a while...I will reread them at a later date. In general Ringler over promised and under delivered. We gave them a lot of time to fix issues and they never did. I have a few classic memories that stick out on these projects. One time we paid them a milestone payement and when we showed up on prem, Ringler had a new BMW, but the work had not progressed.

• Justin and RickR like this

#4 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:40 AM

Wow I haven't seen these emails in a while...I will reread them at a later date. In general Ringler over promised and under delivered. We gave them a lot of time to fix issues and they never did. I have a few classic memories that stick out on these projects. One time we paid them a milestone payement and when we showed up on prem, Ringler had a new BMW, but the work had not progressed.

Can you give any examples of reasonable issues that needed to be fixed?

The reason I say reasonable is because in the HVS letters Atari is coaxing them to match or beat the Saturn's performance at Panzer Dragoon. This seems extremely unreasonable considering the Jag wasn't great at texturing and had NO VRAM. Compared to an entire MB of it on the Saturn.

#5 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:25 AM

Though to be fair it seemed Atari was saying 'try and see what can be done, and if you succeed we give you lots of money' with the PD goal. Which I have absolutely no problem with.

#6 marigul

marigul

Cherry Member

• 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

Can you give any examples of reasonable issues that needed to be fixed?

The reason I say reasonable is because in the HVS letters Atari is coaxing them to match or beat the Saturn's performance at Panzer Dragoon. This seems extremely unreasonable considering the Jag wasn't great at texturing and had NO VRAM. Compared to an entire MB of it on the Saturn.

As I recall...it was nothing fancy...just basic gameplay, etc. They had the source for both games and I think actually made other sports games...my guess is they didn't really care they were just trying to fulfill the minimum requirements for the MS payments, which they never could. HVS cared (HVS is still in business today) HVS I think just cared what they were doing and were able to figure things out and were able to ship product...While I don't think his intention was to be a scammer...Ringler just over promised and under delivered. We were not trying to get some fancy 3d rendered stuff...just give a little bit more than 68k port...

• Justin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users