Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Defender 2000: The Jeff Minter Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Very close to having had ALL the Atari Jaguar files Scott Stilphen so kindly forwarded onto me, put up on Atarimania initally and now here...

Going to end this evening's with some background info on Defender 2000.

As anyone who knows me, will be only too familar, i bought this game on Day 1, cost me over £55 when you factor in P+P and i came away very, very dissapointed.

I understand Jeff was going through a very difficult time in his personal life, Atari were messing him around, this originally being planned for the Jag CD so atari wanted big sprites etc, but as i've said time and time before:

Look at:Llamazap (Falcon), Andes Attack (ST) and Defender II (ST) and you'll see Jeff went for oversized ships each time.

Plus i've never thought Jeff was the man to update Defender on Jaguar as his attempts with ST Defender II just failed to impress me, despite scoring well with ST Press....

Mouse+Keyboard control was awful for starters.

Archer MaClean did far better with Dropzone/Super Dropzone.

I don't feel Defender 2000 deserves the 3/10 Edge gave it, nor ST Format's 31%...but it just wasn't Defender, for myself.

It's too fast, backgrounds like something from an Amiga title, viewpoint looks far too zoomed in (a flaw more common on Lynx titles).

Only Defender+ i found worth playing.

Still background info for it's fans...

Hope Jeff doesn't mind the files being shared freely, it's not like i'm selling his shareware on Ebay using someone elses artwork....

Attached Thumbnails

• TmpFile_41.JPG
  • TmpFile_42.JPG
  • TmpFile_43.JPG
  • TmpFile_44.JPG
  • TmpFile_45.JPG
  • TmpFile_46.JPG
  • TmpFile_47.JPG

• atarilbc and TeddyGermany like this

#2 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 48 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

Thank you for sharing these.

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

Thank Scott, he made them possible.

All i did was originally pass them onto Unseen64/Atarimania and Shinto as Zipfiles, as thought they could make far better use of them for their projects.

Then convert them to JPEG Files so this community could benifit from them.

That's how a community works..my own feelings on the game didn't mean i couldn't appreciate fact others would like to see them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users