Good Windows or DOS TRS-80 Emulator?

Starbuck66

I've been trying to get a TRS-80 emulator working for a couple of days now, and I just keep striking out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The main reason I want to get one running is to try Dungeons of Daggorath. It's the one game mentioned in Ready Player One I haven't made a serious effort at playing. Looks like I can play it on archive.org, but I'm worried about losing my progress. 

Thanks Rick, I'll give MESS a go and see if I can get it working in there. It was for the CoCo.

I had a chance to buy a CoCo at a retro shop for 30 bucks; kicking myself for not picking it up, but the wife has drawn a line in my collecting that stops at classic computers  :( No Commodore or Atari 800 for me, but she would be OK with an Apple II because she had one growing up!  :rofl:

I just realized this thread probably belongs in emulation and not classic computing, so if a mod wants to move it feel free  :)

I had a CoCo and a bunch of games (including Dungeons of Daggorath), but ended up selling it.  As far as classic computers go, the CoCo was pretty weak games-wise.  It just didn't compare to Atari or Commodore or Apple.  In both quality and quantity of games.  There was one game in particular that had two dinosaurs fighting that was just pathetic.  Add in floppy non-centering joysticks...  And also finding games was really difficult. 

I'm usually not so negative.  In fact, I own and kind of appreciate a Mattel Aquarius for gods-sake!  But for whatever reason, I just never warmed to the CoCo.  Oh!  One more thing....the fact that they picked puke green as the color when you turn on the machine was just awful.  Who would do that? 

In the end, I decided to sell it and haven't missed it at all.  I say you enjoy the games you want using emulation and stop kicking yourself. 

And I guess I should add that I had no nostalgic connection to the CoCo at all.  I never had one as a kid, never really wanted one, never drooled over the ads.  Strangely enough, we never really went to Radio Shack back then.  So maybe that explains my flippancy a little more.  

To say something positive, CoCo did have a really nice version of MS Basic.  So there's that. 

I tried the VCC emu for the COCO years ago without any luck. I haven't even tried any other one since. Let me know if it works for you. I still have my childhood 64k COCO2 I got Christmas 1984, since that was the brand of computers we were using in my 8th grade Computer Literacy class (aced the class too) ;-)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne