B-17 Bomber

Starbuck66

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this gem (at least in my opinion!)... I think its the best of the Intellivoice games, and still holds up well today. If I have a decent amount of time to sit down and play Intellivision its a go-to title for me. The voices always crack me up, and I just marvel at how advanced of a video game this was for 1982.

That being said, I haven't played it a lot, and I'm still trying to learn the best mix of bombs and fuel, best RPM's and altitude, etc. Anyone have any tips and tricks they want to share?

Would anyone be interested in doing this as an informal high score contest at some point as well? I probably won't have time to do this in the immediate future because I'm moving, but after the move I know I would be game for something like this.

I like the idea! Why don't you guys start playing and post your high scores to a B-17 Bomber thread in the Scoreboard? Or challenge each other to a Danisen League match.. play against each other 3 times and whoever wins 2 out of 3 rounds wins. This is exactly why we created these other events to encourage you guys to create your own "informal High Score contests"  :thumb:

I like the idea! Why don't you guys start playing and post your high scores to a B-17 Bomber thread in the Scoreboard? Or challenge each other to a Danisen League match.. play against each other 3 times and whoever wins 2 out of 3 rounds wins. This is exactly why we created these other events to encourage you guys to create your own "informal High Score contests"  :thumb:

You know, I forgot about the Dansien league, that might be the best bet. I was also thinking about doing a formal Scoreboard post, but that seems very permanent for an ongoing competition? My thought was we do a thread, similar to the monthly challenge, then post the result to the Scoreboard. 

I'm game for the Dansien thing if you are Rick. I think the time difference might be a hurdle (I'm EST), but if we did it on a weekend we could probably make it work.

Man I LOVED early attempts at electonics speech. 

As an aside if I may go slightly off track here, here are two videos I did 8 years ago (forgive the potato resolution) on the INTVII and Intellivoice including B-17 Bomber. I didn't know what I was doing either and what you see here has pretty much remained unchanged in my collection as far as Intellivision goes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2VPh4D-gCE

My piss poor attempt at B-17 Bomber @ around the 4 min mark in this video.   :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ceg5j1-A5I

Doh! forgot there was a part 3! lol this was so early on when my videos were restricted to a 10 or 15 min length. 

OK now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.  :beer:  

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

So I played a few missions on level 2 last night... I could have kept going, but it was getting late and I needed to get to bed.

Score after first target hit and returned to Britain:

3CnBndch.jpg

Score after hitting second target and returning (lost my bomb sight for this one too):

9shdRVmh.jpg

First two missions I ran with 5 bombs and the rest fuel. Staring at the map I thought, why not hit two targets on one mission? So that's what I tried on the third mission with 8 bombs, I put 4 bombs into each target (a factory and an airfield):

2jRC5Puh.jpg

So my idea kind of worked; you can hit multiple targets, but I think its better if you get more bombs to land on a higher point target.

Some other things to note:

Go full throttle to get into the air, but then back it down to about 1900 RPM's. You'll still gain altitude fairly well, but you won't guzzle fuel nearly as fast.

Going full throttle when there's flak helps you get hit a lot less often. I also tried the juking technique suggested in the manual and it did seem to help a little.

I'm going to play more with the bomb to fuel mix to maximize my score. It seems like the more bombs you lay on the target, the more points you get.