Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Tempest 4000 is real, Jeff Minter is developing it and Atari is publishing it

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 169 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

http://www.eurogamer...s-publishing-it

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 08/08/2017

Surprise! Atari has announced Tempest 4000, the sequel to the classic arcade game Tempest, is coming out later in 2017 for PC and consoles.

And get this - Tempest 4000 is being developed by Jeff Minter, creator of Tempest 2000, the 1994 remake of the Dave Theurer 1981 arcade game, Tempest.

Here's the official blurb, courtesy of Atari:

"In Tempest 4000, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive and achieve that coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards."

Those three games mode are standard, pure and endurance. There's a 4K resolution and a retro soundtrack inspired by 1990s techno.

Here's a quote from current Atari boss Todd Shallbetter:

"The original Tempest is a beloved arcade classic with a unique style and intense, edge-of-your-seat gameplay.

"We're thrilled to be able to work with Jeff Minter again, someone who is a legend in the industry and has made a huge impact on the history of video games, to develop this highly-anticipated next installment of the Tempest franchise, updated with today's technology."

News that Minter is once again working with Atari comes as something of a surprise. Back in 2015 Minter said he was "beyond disgusted" with Atari after the company blocked the release of his Vita game TxK on new platforms over similarities with Tempest.

So yeah all the stuff we had ready or near ready will now never see the light of day.No TxK PC, PS4, Oculus, GearVR, Android. Thank "Atari".

TxK, which Minter called a "distantly related sequel" to Tempest 2000, launched on Vita to critical acclaim in February 2014. Martin Robinson wrote in his 9/10 review: "All you need to know right now is that TxK is Minter at his finest, and it's absolutely mint."

Well, it sounds like the pair have patched things up. Here's a quote from Minter from Atari's press release:

"At the end of the day, video gamers always win. I am very happy to work with Atari again to bring a long-awaited sequel of Tempest to our legion of fans and a new generation of gamers worldwide."

As for Tempest 4000 itself, Atari hasn't released any screenshots or gameplay footage, but did say the game will be at Gamescom later this month, so hopefully it won't be too long before we see some footage.

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 1 other like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,709 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

Well that resolved itself nicely.  A rarity these days.  :beer:

• Justin and The Professor like this

#3 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,596 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

Well that resolved itself nicely.  A rarity these days.  :beer:

Yes. I think it's great they can get together and make something official.

I know that the modern Atari has gotten a ton of flak in recent years for just trying to make $ from suing and licensing, but recently its seems like they are trying to make an honest go of being a whole lot more than that. They are trying to actually make a new console, get imaginative with the speaker hat and now this.  I think it's popular to keep bashing them, but I actually hope they succeed a "Make Atari Great Again"  ;)

• Justin likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#4 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 391 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

I'll be looking forward to playing this on my PS4.  :)

• Justin likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,709 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

I think we -- the nerd community -- are way too harsh on many companies and movies etc. 

• Justin, nosweargamer and TrekMD like this

#6 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

I think we -- the nerd community -- are way too harsh on many companies and movies etc. 

That is so true.  :vulcan_salute:

• TrekMD likes this

#7 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

Guess, a dream comes true.

They should develop a deluxe version of T4K for the Ataribox! Would be a nice exclusive.

#8 Mcorleonep

Mcorleonep

Cherry Member

• 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

I love Jeff MInter's games.  He had some great ones on the iOS store (Gridrunner being my favorite) but they were pulled sadly due to lack of sales.  TxK is great too if you have a Vita.  A fully blown console (or PC) edition would be great...

#9 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:53 PM

First footage?

https://twitter.com/...159971984855040

• The Professor likes this

#10 pizzabear

pizzabear

Cherry Member

• 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the notice! Game looks snazzy. Definitely looking forward to more deets. 

#11 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

https://twitter.com/...815610418692096

I was hoping for new music instead of the same soundtrack used for T2K, but still looking forward to playing it.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#12 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 557 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Feel like the original Tempest 2000 will never be topped (I just love the pixels too much and it's really perfection) but very looking forward to playing some amazing 4K T4K soon :D

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users