Things You've Found In Old Systems

So I opened up an Intellivision, and look what I found!

post-303-0-56449600-1502732355_thumb.jpg

Yup! Two tiny army men!

It got me thinking what other things I've found in systems including:

Roach droppings in a Dreamcast  :P

A copy of Castlevania III in a NES from a Thrift Store.

A copy of Mega Man II in a GB Pocket from a Flea Market

What surprises have you found in old systems?

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

So I opened up an Intellivision, and look what I found!

attachicon.gifIMG_5943.JPG

Yup! Two tiny army men!

It got me thinking what other things I've found in systems including:

Roach droppings in a Dreamcast  :P

A copy of Castlevania III in a NES from a Thrift Store.

A copy of Mega Man II in a GB Pocket from a Flea Market

What surprises have you found in old systems?

Love the Army Men!!!

Only thing I have found in a system is a game here and there (too many to list) dst and dead bugs. Found a huge empty spider nest in an NES before, that was cool.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

In February, 1994 I bought a NEW in the box Atari 7800 system directly from Atari in Sunnyvale. After getting all set up, it sounded like something was rattling around inside of the system. I thought maybe a loose piece of solder had fallen off or something. I carefully opened up the 7800 and found a piece of cereal inside. Rice Chex. Pretty sure this must have been a customer return Atari sent me.

Well. let's see.  Sometime before 2013 when I actually won bids on Shopgoodwill, I won 4 INTV consoles.  When they arrived I immediately began the cleaning up process I perform on every computer/game console that passes through my door.  Same goes for used TVs, VCRs, Stereo equipment, you name it.  

One of the four INTV systems rattled really bad.  Upon opening it I found that the heatsink had come loose from the processor.  So...I put it back where it was suppose to go.  In the N64 I got most recently out of a dumpster it was full of roaches...some still alive.  They aren't alive now and none of them escaped (Bug Hunt anyone?).  And one 810 disk drive I bought arrived making small rattling noises...yet it worked like a champ.  Upon opening it up I found an entire family of Japanese beetles (lady bugs) with a few dead.  That last one I wasn't upset about...I actually laughed about it as it was not something I would have expected and I'd rather find those than roaches any day.  But those things sound like small rocks when being slammed around inside an electronic device.  

Around 2005 or 2006 I won an RCA SGT-100 and SGT-200 CED videodisc players.  One of them rattled (becoming a regular thing) and, again, opening the top cover revealed a large, flat metal file.  How it managed to keep from damaging anything inside is beyond me.  The SGT-200 had a hornet's nest in it and when trying to play Stripes on one of the players it would get to a certain spot and just hang.  Although notorious for errors I took the disc out to see if there was anything I could see wrong.  Well, some how there was mud on the disc itself.  I know there was really no known way to clean these discs but I took a chance and washed them just how I would a vinyl record...mild detergent and warm water.  Once removed the disc played like new...no bad spots at all.

The last thing I think I have is with a Magnavox Blu-Ray Player my wife and I bought from Wal-Mart.  This was the large model when Blu-Ray was pretty much the new medium.  Up on getting it home, setting it up, and turning it on, there was a disc in the system.  It was a Disney animated film, too, but I don't remember if it was The Princess and the Frog or Pocahontas.

Other than that it's the usual dust, dirt, webs, dead insects. 

I've certainly never found anything cool. Dead bugs, bug droppings and remnants of soda. One thing to watch out for in trading in consoles and cart based games is the potential for infestations. Roaches, silverfish and other travelers love to hitch rides in electronics. I open all of my pick-ups in the detached garage and give them a thorough inspection and cleaning before bringing them into the house.

I've certainly never found anything cool. Dead bugs, bug droppings and remnants of soda. One thing to watch out for in trading in consoles and cart based games is the potential for infestations. Roaches, silverfish and other travelers love to hitch rides in electronics. I open all of my pick-ups in the detached garage and give them a thorough inspection and cleaning before bringing them into the house.

Very good advice.

I also clean any cartridges new to me too.  A quick alcohol and q-tip wipe down will keep your cartridge slot pristine.  Game safely, people.