Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

10 of my favorite AMIGA games....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

Top 10 AMIGA games. Well, certainly such lists are subjective and I am not saying all or any were exclusives, indeed some may have been better or more popular elsewhere but my fond memories of them originated on AMIGA so simply I will name 10 games that I highly enjoyed going back to those may years ago when I had original Amiga hardware. I will go with - 

1. Lemmings
2. Stunt car Racer
3. SkidMarks 
4. Turrican
5. The Chaos Engine
6. Battle Squadron
7. Zany Golf
8. Zenon II Megablast
9. The Secret of Monkey Island
10. Flashback

To be clear, this was literally the first things that sprang to mind off the top of my head and could likely change dramatically from moment to moment and I could literally think of dozens if not hundreds more and that is not even including various PD / Shareware / Demos and well if I am honest tons and tons of pirated titles I traded for back in the day. Was such a wonderful platform.

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 3 others like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#2 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

I have never had an Amiga...at least one that worked.  I was once given an Amiga 2000 but it never worked.  It had belonged to my hometown's local TV channel which, quite honestly, was never that good.  The system was responsible for playing, over the air, their recorded content which included local newscasts.  But when I got it the system would not power up at all.  The power supply was simply fried.  It was blamed on a previous strong storm we had in the area.  I tried to locate another power supply but to no avail.  Internet was a luxury then and calling Commodore was of no help as they no longer had any parts for it.

If I was to try to get an Amiga I would have to go with the 500 model.  Something about that system is attractive to me and knowing that Minter designed the graphics processor in these systems then there is a bit of Atari legacy in those Amiga computers.  I wouldn't mind having one mainly for gaming reasons (are there any other reasons?) just to see what it can do and just how much fun it is.

• MaximumRD likes this

#3 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Oh there are other reason for sure though of course most do not compare with modern offerings but back in the day with my humble a500 and the RF modulator which had a composite out I played around with several video and titling programs making basic titles for my home VHS movies, art and animation with Deluxe Paint, listening to tunes with MOD players, viewing scene demos (mix of video and sound) for kicks. All nostalgic purposes for sure but the sound and graphics capabilities were amazing on that machine for the time. Great sounding and looking games kept me going for a long time before getting a 16 bit console like Snes or Genesis and found many of the titles that DID crossover onto Genesis still looked and sounded better on AMIGA though some of that was made for on consoles faster cartridge loading I admit. 

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#4 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Compared to its competitor, the Atari ST, the A500 just looks more like a fancy sports car where the ST looks more like a luxury car.  I love Atari computers and consoles but that Amiga 500 has not only good looks but sounds like it has the specs to go with it.  I believe that is the only Commodore computer where I like the design more.  The C64 was not a bad computer but the looks of it paled in comparison to other systems from the same era.  The 500 looks like someone seen a Farrari and said, "Let's add that style here, here, and here."  It works...it's a more attractive computer visually.  I can't say anything about performance because I've never seen one in person.  

• MaximumRD likes this

#5 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

Oh...and I was looking at what games were on it...hehe...

Populous was one game I played heavily on my SNES back in the day.  So that would have to be a must on a 500 for me.  Also, I found Data East's Continuum which was the oddest game I had in my 386 gaming collection of the time.  I played it but I had no clue as to what I was suppose to do.  Even the instructions were not completely clear to me.  Flashback I had on PC and Genesis.  It was a fun game and good sequel to the Out Of This world game.

• MaximumRD likes this

#6 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

It was a fun game and good sequel to the Out Of This world game.

Funny thing that, while many assumed Flashback was the sequel to OUT OF THIS WORLD (it was so more in spirit only) the TRUE sequel was a SegaCD / MegaCD exclusive called Heart of the Alien, literally the true sequel as you can see. Just forward this video to the 4 min 34 sec mark to avoid lots of babble before that. The SegaCD contained the original game and the sequel but the original creator had nothing to do with it and it was not as good.

• kamakazi20012 likes this

#7 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

wow.  never heard of that one.  that's one that slipped by me unnoticed. 

• MaximumRD likes this

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

I always wanted an Amiga, especially once I learned that it's the true successor to the Atari 2600/8-bit design.  But I've never seen one for sale here, and the various model numbers and such make it pretty intimidating given the cost. 

I do have an Atari ST.  It's good, but the games remind me so much of the Sega Genesis in look, sound, and feel.  That's not a bad thing, but it makes it feel kind of redundant. 

• MaximumRD and greenween like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users