Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

10 of my favorite Atari 2600 Games - Name yours!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 975 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Making lists and selections is stupid in a certain matter. You must neglect something important. ET, Raiders of the lost Ark, Riddle of the Sphinx and Demon Attack are also fine games, which have to be mentioned. But there are only ten tickets for the Super Bowl.

And I agree as I pretty much stated right at the start of my post  ;)  HOWEVER I was curious more about what people would personally list and indeed not only has everything listed been great choices but they also reflect the type of games each of us enjoy, as well I have been reminded of several titles I either forgot about or time or never tried the first time around and now have some to keep in mind the next time I feel like a 2600 fix. 

• TeddyGermany likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#22 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

as a child back then (based on only the games I had - my "go to" titles) in no order:
  • Adventure (was the first title I sought out to get)
  • River Raid
  • Ice Hockey
  • Omega Race
  • Frogger
  • Freeway
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pole Position
  • RealSports Volleyball
  • Battlezone
Honorable mentions:
Yars' Revenge
Summer Games
Human Cannonball
Circus Atari

games I didn't like, back then:
  • Swordquest Fireworld (thought it was another type of Adventure)
  • Fishing Derby (tried - couldn't beat the computer)
  • Laser Blast (tried - couldn't figure it out)
  • Space Shuttle (huge manual)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • E.T. (had the manual & poster and played on game 3 - didn't like the pits)
  • Tax Avoiders
  • Space Invaders
  • Combat (2 player game - I was an only child)
  • Star Raiders

games I have now in my collection ("go to" games - not counting the titles above):
  • Midnight Magic
  • Star Wars: Death Star Battle
  • Centipede
  • Chopper Command
  • Tac-Scan
  • Thunderground

• MaximumRD, greenween, StormSurge and 1 other like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#23 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

@ MaximumRD

My personal choice doesn't represent my all time favourites for the VCS. These games were important for me in the good old days. It is impossible to give them an order and it is difficult to say, which game is more important than another and comes to the  top ten instead of others. It depends on personal circumstances. No objective criterions in sight.

The results are very exciting. It's a pulsating thread.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 28 August 2017 - 05:13 AM.

#24 Jin

Jin

• 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

I always like looking through other people's Top 10 lists to see what games they enjoy that I may have not tried yet, but when I tried making my own list I ended up having waaaay too many fantastic games in the "honorable mentions" category so I wound up making it a Top 20. :D

20. Midnight Magic
19. Montezuma's Revenge
18. H.E.R.O.
17. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle
16. Alien
15. Starmaster
14. Miniature Golf
13. Adventure
12. Centipede
11. Robot Tank

10. River Raid
9. Sentinel
8. Kung-Fu Master
7. Crystal Castles
6. GORF
5. Millipede
4. Super Breakout
3. Ms. Pac-Man
2. Venture
1. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

Edited by Jin, 14 October 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• MaximumRD, greenween, RickR and 3 others like this

#25 Kid A

Kid A

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

In no particular order...

Enduro
Atlantis
Demon attack
Spider fighter
HERO
Dodge em
Kaboom
Yars revenge
Megamania
Missile Command
  • greenween and atarilbc like this

#26 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Current list:

1. Adventure
2. Pitfall II
3. HERO
4. Moon Patrol
5. Q-Bert
6. Missile Command
7. Kaboom
8. Tunnel Runner
9. Tutenkham
10. Haunted House

Kid list
1. Berserk
2. Pitfall
3. River Raid
4. Asteroids
5. Vanguard
6. Ms Pac Man
7. Moon Patrol
8. Star Trek: SOS
9. Video Pinball
10. Miniature Golf
  • greenween, RickR and atarilbc like this

#27 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Wow...this is just too hard to come up with 10. I'll mention 10 but they're in no particular order:

- Jr. Pac-Man -- IMHO, the best officially-sanctioned arcade port on the 2600!

- Yars' Revenge -- because, come on!

- Lady Bug -- awesome homebrew. Seriously, play this and then play the arcade version - you'll barely be able to tell the difference.

- Pitfall! -- an instant classic. I do NOT like Pitfall 2, though.

- River Raid -- another instant classic.

- Demon Attack -- one of two games in which I was able to find a kill screen back in the '80s! (The other: The Activision Decathlon)

- Space Invaders -- of the versions I've played (2600, 5200, 7800 homebrew, arcade) -- this is easily my favorite.

- Communist Mutants From Space -- a semi-hidden gem in the library! So much fun.

- Space Rocks -- another amazing homebrew. It takes the things that can make the official 2600 Asteroids boring and makes 'em...uhh...unboring? I guess???

- Video Pinball -- I even like this better than Midnight Magic -- but wow..so much fun and strategy in this one. It's a very frequent go-to when I want to play some 2600 stuff.

• greenween, RickR and Starbuck66 like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#28 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

I might have to drop Moon Patrol from my top 10; I just got a copy for my 5200 and it’s awesome!

Current list:

1. Adventure
2. Pitfall II
3. HERO
4. Moon Patrol
5. Q-Bert
6. Missile Command
7. Kaboom
8. Tunnel Runner
9. Tutenkham
10. Haunted House

Kid list
1. Berserk
2. Pitfall
3. River Raid
4. Asteroids
5. Vanguard
6. Ms Pac Man
7. Moon Patrol
8. Star Trek: SOS
9. Video Pinball
10. Miniature Golf

#29 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Wow...this is just too hard to come up with 10. I'll mention 10 but they're in no particular order:

- Jr. Pac-Man -- IMHO, the best officially-sanctioned arcade port on the 2600!
- Yars' Revenge -- because, come on!
- Lady Bug -- awesome homebrew. Seriously, play this and then play the arcade version - you'll barely be able to tell the difference.
- Pitfall! -- an instant classic. I do NOT like Pitfall 2, though.
- River Raid -- another instant classic.
- Demon Attack -- one of two games in which I was able to find a kill screen back in the '80s! (The other: The Activision Decathlon)
- Space Invaders -- of the versions I've played (2600, 5200, 7800 homebrew, arcade) -- this is easily my favorite.
- Communist Mutants From Space -- a semi-hidden gem in the library! So much fun.
- Space Rocks -- another amazing homebrew. It takes the things that can make the official 2600 Asteroids boring and makes 'em...uhh...unboring? I guess???
- Video Pinball -- I even like this better than Midnight Magic -- but wow..so much fun and strategy in this one. It's a very frequent go-to when I want to play some 2600 stuff.

Just curious if you have a CV with that version of Ladybug? If so, how does the 2600 version stack up to that one?

I’m with you on Video Pinball > Midnight Magic too.

What don’t you like about Pitfall II?

#30 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

-

I just now tried "Space Rocks" on Harmony, and OMG....it is just awesome.  I think I need to re-do my list. 

• Starbuck66 likes this

#31 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Just curious if you have a CV with that version of Ladybug? If so, how does the 2600 version stack up to that one?

What don’t you like about Pitfall II?

I don't have a CV, never did. Most I ever saw of it was as a floor model at Montgomery Ward.

Pitfall II -- the checkpoints kind of annoy me...way too far apart...and the neverending music gets on my nerves.
  • Starbuck66 likes this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users